Pre-Wired (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Help, I've bought a new motorhome and I never noticed until after I paid the deposit that there wasn't a radio fitted. The annoying thing is, I told the dealer I was over my budget and didn't want there to be any hidden extras. Anyway, he has now sent me a choice of 2 radios, jvc or kenwood, both valued at under £100,, But he wants £295.00 plus Vat. How can it cost over £200 to fit a radio to a pre wired motor?. I feel like I'm getting a little shafted here, anyone with any advice?.
Mickey.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Buy a head unit of your choosing, and pop it in yourself. It is a really easy job, you'll probably have to switch the yellow and red wires, but nearly all looms have connectors to allow you to do that.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I cant imagine why you think your getting a little shafted
When in fact you are being bent over doubled up and shafted to the 9th degree
Buy your Van Radioless and pop into Halfrauds who will sell you a good radio at a fair price and fit it for about £30 HERE

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Or is the van not only radio less but speaker and arial less too
In wich case the extra charges may be justifiable and not all labour related

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Mine came Radioless and I had the dealer fit a radio of choice. I opted for the Kenwood DNX 450TR, which also had the DAB aerial, GPS device and reversing camera etc fitted at the same time. I cannot remember the final price for the lot, but It certainly wasn't the fig quoted above and the unit was over £100:00.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Or is the van not only radio less but speaker and arial less too
In wich case the extra charges may be justifiable and not all labour related
It says intergrated antenna but I don't know about speakers, I was hoping someone would know.
Mickey.

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Check your specification list on the order to see whether the radio is pre-wired and speakers fitted. Mine was. I did think about fitting a radio myself, but the dealer offered a JVC for about £75 fitted - I accepted and it does everything I need

Cheers

Trevor

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It says intergrated antenna but I don't know about speakers, I was hoping someone would know.
Mickey.
Mostly they do have speakers, the cab almost certainly will. In the habitation area, you won't know until you see it. But again, I believe most these days are built with the speakers installed.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I would have thought it would have come with the standard radio fitted to the base vehicle.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Help, I've bought a new motorhome and I never noticed until after I paid the deposit that there wasn't a radio fitted. The annoying thing is, I told the dealer I was over my budget and didn't want there to be any hidden extras. Anyway, he has now sent me a choice of 2 radios, jvc or kenwood, both valued at under £100,, But he wants £295.00 plus Vat. How can it cost over £200 to fit a radio to a pre wired motor?. I feel like I'm getting a little shafted here, anyone with any advice?.
Mickey.
Ask the dealer for a beak down of the quote.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the original cab wiring will be present for sure. the cost of making different wiring looms is more than the saving would be. a case of simply plugging in and inserting the radio of your choice

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Thanks for all your replies, I've been advised to use Halfords to supply and fit, But I'm a little concerned about the warranty, Would there be any warranty Issues using a third party?.
Mickey.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fairly standard to have speakers and pre-wiring but no radio fitted. IMO the best option as when they come fitted it is usually something cheap and nasty that you need to replace anyway.
At least without one fitted you can fit a decent one.

Our first Hymer was a special edition version it had a stereo as standard, good speakers, big sub-woofer but cheap sub £200 JVC stereo, it wasn't that bad but if doing it myself I would have fitted a decent stereo.

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Fairly standard to have speakers and pre-wiring but no radio fitted. IMO the best option as when they come fitted it is usually something cheap and nasty that you need to replace anyway.
At least without one fitted you can fit a decent one.

Our first Hymer was a special edition version it had a stereo as standard, good speakers, big sub-woofer but cheap sub £200 JVC stereo, it wasn't that bad but if doing it myself I would have fitted a decent stereo.
Are they cheaper in Germany Lenny
(y)

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thanks for all your replies, I've been advised to use Halfords to supply and fit, But I'm a little concerned about the warranty, Would there be any warranty Issues using a third party?.
Mickey.
Halfords are worth more than your dealer lol So if they mess up they pay.

Your warranty is multi faceted any way. Your headlights for example will be under the Fiat warranty and your rear lights will be under your motorhome converter warranty.

If your fridge goes wrong, you'll probably end up with some one from Dometic looking at it.

As for the radio, the reason that I suggested getting a written breakdown of the quote is simple. If the dealer is fitting a £100 radio, installing an aerial, and speakers, doing it properly so you have a dash mounted isolation switch so you don't have to leave the ignition on (keys in the ignition) the figure quoted seems there about'ish

If he has to simply plug into the existing ISO DIN plug and fix the cage in then it is scandalous

Just for the record we resolve loads of "flat battery issues" because radios are installed where they are always on "standby" and causing the engine battery to go flat. The ignition supply must be switched via the ignition/auxiliary position or a switch must be installed to allow the radio to be turned "off" as opposed to being in "standby"

If you do use Halfords we would suggest that you take photos of the dashboard and surround prior to letting them out of the shop into the car park

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Thanks Eddie, I'll ask for a breakdown of the quote. I guess it will be similar circumstances when I want the growler fitted, the dealer can't do that.
Mickey.
If you do use Halfords we would suggest that you take photos of the dashboard and surround prior to letting them out of the shop into the car park.
Why do you say that Eddie, sounds like you don't trust them. Lol .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I wouldn't use them personally, but I am happy to buy things from them

Our local branch's "fitting" is whoever is available walking out into the car park it seems.

If you have photo's before and after there can be no arguement about marks or scratches

Car parks are not the best environment to have things installed. OK on a warm sunny day but not so good when when wet and cold

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks Eddie, I'll ask for a breakdown of the quote. I guess it will be similar circumstances when I want the growler fitted, the dealer can't do that.
Mickey.
If you do use Halfords we would suggest that you take photos of the dashboard and surround prior to letting them out of the shop into the car park.
Why do you say that Eddie, sounds like you don't trust them. Lol .
If you are going to @eddievanbitz for a "Growler" install, I would suggest getting them to supply and fit the radio as well ... you would be certain of a great service.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Eddie, the breakdown

The radio and speakers £135.00, Dash fitting kit £35.00, installation £125.00 all plus VAT.

Mickey.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Eddie, the breakdown

The radio and speakers £135.00, Dash fitting kit £35.00, installation £125.00 all plus VAT.

Mickey.
Do you really expect to get anything worth listening for that. I paid over 500quid (would have been 650 in the UK) just for the stereo, fitted it myself. Could have saved a couple of hundred not having satnav.:D2

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Thanks Lenny, although I don't want a cheap radio , I certainly don't want a £500 one.
Mickey.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think they're well and truly taking the mickey @Mickey1 !!! :D

Your new Fiat should have the aerial and speakers as standard already so that you just need to add the head unit ... they are IMV charging you for something that's included!!!

I wouldn't let them do anything ... just get your MH and then check what exactly you've got and take it from there.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Lenny, although I don't want a cheap radio , I certainly don't want a £500 one.
Mickey.
You can get a decent one for around £250 that is just for the unit but worth spending a bit more for one with satnav and of course you can use it as a monitor for reversing cameras.
IMO Worth the extra to save having wires trailing all over the dash.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Eddie, the breakdown

Mickey.
What is this dash fitting kit that they are referring to? The Head unit will have a cage that you simply slide in and push out the relevant lugs to make it snug!

If you are going to @eddievanbitz for a "Growler" install, I would suggest getting them to supply and fit the radio as well ... you would be certain of a great service.
To do the Growler he has to take the dash apart anyway, makes sense! :D

On a side note @eddievanbitz I tested out the the alarm when my brother in law helped himself to the beer fridge again, I accidentally activated the panic button. He said "golly, that's loud", or words to that effect! :rofl:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
What is this dash fitting kit that they are referring to? The Head unit will have a cage that you simply slide in and push out the relevant lugs to make it snug!
I don't know anything about fitting a radio, so I don't know what a dash fitting Kit is either.
Mickey.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
You can get a decent one for around £250 that is just for the unit but worth spending a bit more for one with satnav and of course you can use it as a monitor for reversing cameras.
IMO Worth the extra to save having wires trailing all over the dash.
Lenny, you're probably right because it also says it's pre wired for a reversing camera. After paying 50+k for the motorhome, I feel they are taking the p#$$. The radio they want to fit is £80 on amazon, so I'd rather get a better one and get someone else to fit it.
Mickey.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back