Pre-paid debit cards in Europe (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
My Australian Nephew is coming to Europe for his honeymoon. (France & Italy, I think)
I will see him briefly, and wanting to contribute to their holiday, offered to give them some euros. However, I was wondering what you continental travellers do about money? I wondered whether a pre-paid debit card might offer more security than cash, or are there financial penalties?
I would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks, John

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We use WeSwap - its a currency exchange card.

You do all the transactions online... decide the amount of sterling you wish to exchange to Euros and the date you wish the swap to happen. The longer notice you give the better the rate. You get a card to use as you would a normal card and there are no charges for doing so, unlike other cards.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
And Caxton. Treated by locals as Euro card with no extra charges. Use at ATMs for cash with no charge. Top up online as and when you wish. (y)

Wyn

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We have a daughter that lives in New Zealand and we have an extra Caxton card, that we have given to her. We can load it with pounds, that she can either draw as NZ dollars cash from an ATM or use to buy items as a MasterCard

We use the main card in Europe to load Euros on if/when the rate is good

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We use FairFX in Europe buy when the rate is good. Just use like a cash card

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
And Caxton. Treated by locals as Euro card with no extra charges. Use at ATMs for cash with no charge. Top up online as and when you wish. (y)

Wyn
Hi Wyn

I'm also looking to open an account. Is the Caxton a credit card that gets paid at the end of the month or can you pre load it in euros? The web site is not that clear
Edit, sorry found the details, its a pre load card not credit card

Last edited:

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
We always take an ASDA pre-pay travel card, its been accepted everywhere that we have used so far through France. :D

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
We use FairFX in Europe buy when the rate is good. Just use like a cash card

Like wise, we have been using them for over 10 years. Good customer service if you need it, twice whilst we have had the cards. They also have an international payment system so you can pay big bills straight into the other persons bank account

Jammel1980

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hockley
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Top Driver 68
Exp
We use Revolt never have any problems in France or Spain. It’s easy to use and has a decent app where you can transfer and exchange money on the go, you can also freeze your card if it gets lost or stolen and order a new one all from the app

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Not really applicable - unless you want to open a bank account for him...

but on my recent trip to Iceland, I was looking for the best way to exchange money into Krona... was advised don't! You can pay for everything by card.
And it was true - 10 days in Iceland, didn't spend a cent in cash - plastic for everything.

also
Metro Bank very impressed with them.
Their debit card carries no commission or other fees, using the Mastercard daily exchange rate... other cards/banks do similar but...
...for me, the standout feature was that their App showed the charge [as pending] almost immediately & the exchange rate.
Really helpful & useful.

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Thank you to all for your prompt and informative replies.
Lots of information for me to follow-up.
John

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Keep well away from the Post Office card, I have 500 euros stuck in int as it was not accepted when I tried to use it, cannot get a refund of the value without being robbed at an awful rate losing at least £60.. I will cash them all at a bank, and get the full value back in cash when I next go abroad. Wished I didn't bother getting it. Service from the call centre is around avoiding the issue, and not letting you have your money.

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Only place I had trouble with post office card was in fuel station pay at pump. Apparently they need to be connected to internet to work so if fuel station is closed there problem not on line.

Jammel1980

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hockley
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Top Driver 68
Exp
Yep I meant Revolut, (y) Thanks JJ. Auto correct at it again.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10DC9BCB-EBC0-4615-871E-7B682645582A.jpeg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've tried most of them and now only have a Revolut card for ATM cash withdrawals, easy to use and load and if you don't convert your £ to € you can simply transfer it all back to your bank account without penalty.

For paying in shops we use our Aqua credit card which has a very good exchange rate and also give 0.5% back on all purchases!

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Another one for Revolut, use it for everything and everywhere UK included , only one or two fuel stations mostly the un-manned ones don't accept it....

Would be lost without it, easy to transfer , send money to family or friends etc

We learnt about Revolut through JJ ...

Kath x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back