Zamzoo

Free Member
Jun 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Soon to acquire..
Exp
Since 2015
Looking at older N+Bs, either Arto up to 7.5m or the similar length Flairs.

There seems to be quite a healthy jump in cost between pre and post 2006.

Did much change around 2006 with the new Fiats? I know Flair are often Iveco, but they seemed to have an upgrade around the same time.. (I think).

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Looking at older N+Bs, either Arto up to 7.5m or the similar length Flairs.

There seems to be quite a healthy jump in cost between pre and post 2006.

Did much change around 2006 with the new Fiats? I know Flair are often Iveco, but they seemed to have an upgrade around the same time.. (I think).
It did coincide with the new shape arto's and flairs, but then the crash happened so there's a bit of a shortage of second hand because there were less new everything sold 07 -09 ish

OP
OP
Z

Zamzoo

Free Member
Jun 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Soon to acquire..
Exp
Since 2015
Ah yes that would explain it, top end of the market suffered considerably I imagine.

There is lot more choice, although not much of a financial benefit from what my fairly untrained can see, especially when you factor in importing and adjustment of headlights (I’m assuming it’s not *new* headlights) etc.

What do people do when importing, take a week to go and look at a few or pick a likely candidate and get a remote inspection done by RAC or equiv then fly over?

I’m also curious if much changed in the specs between the updates, I’ve not had much luck in getting historical info on what they came with.

fesuvious

Free Member
Jul 11, 2020
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff
Exp
@5yrs
The Iveco 3.0 doesn't have a belt to worry about.
Also meets more emissions regs.

Otherwise no idea

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ah yes that would explain it, top end of the market suffered considerably I imagine.

There is lot more choice, although not much of a financial benefit from what my fairly untrained can see, especially when you factor in importing and adjustment of headlights (I’m assuming it’s not *new* headlights) etc.

What do people do when importing, take a week to go and look at a few or pick a likely candidate and get a remote inspection done by RAC or equiv then fly over?

I’m also curious if much changed in the specs between the updates, I’ve not had much luck in getting historical info on what they came with.
In 2007 they were dramatically updated with a much more modern body shape and the newer drivelines. For the Arto's in particular the 3 litre (Iveco) engine was a big step forward, much more powerful, smoother and 6 speed box, and yes no belt to worry about. The Flairs gained a flat floor meaning better insulation and losing the rising front seats. Note be careful about buying any mh with the 2.3 fiat engine from 2007-2009.

The headlights are easy, undo 3 screws and they rotate.

There are old brochures available on the uk owners club site but mostly in German

Inspecting any mh anywhere is a problem if you don't know what to look for - which is presumably why we get all the tales of woe on this forum about such things. The thing you don't have to worry about with N&B is build quality, among the best in the business where they were built properly being wood free in the main structures from the start with a high quality of fixtures and fittings. On older ones (pre 06 I think) you need to check the garage floors as these were the one area of Plywood, the garage door seals can fail or the shower trays can crack and thats where the water collects. and the cab side windows which are double glazed, this can fail over a period of time and show signs of misting up, not dangerous but expensive to put right. I'm not sure your RAC man would know this.

Its not clear what your requirements are or your budget but there are a few artos on ebay, why not go and have a look? Or I would ordinarily suggest the factory open weekend in November but this year who knows?

Hope this helps
Jon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Z

Zamzoo

Free Member
Jun 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Soon to acquire..
Exp
Since 2015
Cheers, that’s really helpful. I had also been trying to find the owners club! (Got the fb one..)

What was it about the 2.3s from 07-09?

There are a couple that interest me in the UK, basically under under £40k-ish with L shaped lounge (4 travelling seats, loads of german and either twins or transverse bed. Just trying to decide if to go for the older one and keep a bit of cash by or the newer one with the whole budget.

So post ‘07 & 3L will be Iveco, which is an advantage.

Arto is looking like more choice available in my price range, Alde heating in the Flair quite tempting to wait a little for though.

Probably won’t be these ones as still a little way off buying. Likely in winter or early next year.

Broken Link Removed
1594708705524.png

Broken Link Removed
1594708507466.png

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Cheers, that’s really helpful. I had also been trying to find the owners club! (Got the fb one..)

What was it about the 2.3s from 07-09?

There are a couple that interest me in the UK, basically under under £40k-ish with L shaped lounge (4 travelling seats, loads of german and either twins or transverse bed. Just trying to decide if to go for the older one and keep a bit of cash by or the newer one with the whole budget.

So post ‘07 & 3L will be Iveco, which is an advantage.

Arto is looking like more choice available in my price range, Alde heating in the Flair quite tempting to wait a little for though.

Probably won’t be these ones as still a little way off buying. Likely in winter or early next year.

Broken Link RemovedView attachment 406927

Broken Link RemovedView attachment 406926

Iveco engine in 3 litre, not chassis, but yes a lot more robust and more suited to the weight. btw don't believe anyone that tells you they re operable at 3500kgs, only the very shortest with you the wife an nothing else perhaps.

The Fiat 2.3 from that period suffered badly from clutch/transmission problems, christened 'juddergate' at the time.

Regarding which one you buy depends on your criteria, the older ones were not as nice to drive but had a heavier quality of furniture in them.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Unless you want to go into city centres, for which you will need a Euro 4,5 or6 engine which I suspect is beyond your budget, then it makes little difference pre-2006 or post, ecxept that a lot of opinion is that pre-2006 has bit better quality. Our Arto is 2003 and quality is great. We have had it 11 years and very satified.

In having attracted Jon and Martin as 'advisers' on N&B you have some of the best on nearly all forums - they know their N&B models.

One further point I would make is that if you buy the older gearbox with a high-ratio 5th gear you should consider getting the engine mapped, not chipped, We had it done, not excessively, and it made a huge difference to pulling power. I am not sure if later models had different ratio 5th. The lads may be on to fill in that info.

Geoff

OP
OP
Z

Zamzoo

Free Member
Jun 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Soon to acquire..
Exp
Since 2015
Lovely. Thanks all. Will visit a few more and see how we feel, seems no obvious reason to shy away from the older in favour of the newer with a good checking out.

Will remember about the mapping.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Unless you want to go into city centres, for which you will need a Euro 4,5 or6 engine which I suspect is beyond your budget, then it makes little difference pre-2006 or post, ecxept that a lot of opinion is that pre-2006 has bit better quality. Our Arto is 2003 and quality is great. We have had it 11 years and very satified.

In having attracted Jon and Martin as 'advisers' on N&B you have some of the best on nearly all forums - they know their N&B models.

One further point I would make is that if you buy the older gearbox with a high-ratio 5th gear you should consider getting the engine mapped, not chipped, We had it done, not excessively, and it made a huge difference to pulling power. I am not sure if later models had different ratio 5th. The lads may be on to fill in that info.

Geoff
I agree with you about the mapping of the 2.8's Geoff and it made such a difference that I said I would definitely get the next one mapped but actually I don't think the 3 litre needs it - pulls like a train and got the extra gear so 9 years on and unchanged.

The other issue with a 2.8 is that there were two options of top gear ratios, BIL bought a 514 Hymer used to rev its nuts off so had the ratio swapped, it was designed to be done without removing the gearbox.

Zamzoo I don't get on with facebook but Chris Hewitt is very good on the older Arto's.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back