Allinthestars

Free Member
Sep 23, 2019
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740 Plus
Exp
I read with interest and shock in this months magazine. Page 11. Wild camping is illegal in England, Wales , and northern Ireland is this correct ? As I have wild camped quiet a few times in car park across the peak district without any problem and seen many more there aswell doi g the same.

OP
OP
Allinthestars

Allinthestars

Free Member
Sep 23, 2019
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740 Plus
Exp
Here is the write up from this months magazine. Thoughts please

Attachments

• 15857573863962027991918032433964.jpg
    15857573863962027991918032433964.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 82

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Depends which definition of "wild camping" you're using.
But looking at what's on the page, yes it's illegal, as it is in Scotland, to "wild camp" on someone's private property.
The permission to "wild camp" under Scotland's access code is limited to people walking, cycling, and horse-riding, and specifically excludes motorised vehicles. It also allows canoeing, rowing, sailing ans swimming.

If you simply mean parking up outside of a campsite, then no, not necessarily. In local authority car parks, you'd need to check the local authority's byelaws to see where it is and isn't permitted.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I was under the impression. If it didn't say no over night stays on a car park then you could stay the night. Is this the case ?
No.you need to see the full regs which are either at each council online or you have to ask them individually by phoning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
No.
You have no right unless permission is given.
If it's a private car park, including pubs and supermarkets, then you must get the express permission of the landowner.
If it's local authority, there used to be a brilliant webpage run by a Funster GJH but sadly he had to close it down last year, in part due to people "taking exception to being told the facts about what the law says and the consequences of indiscriminate parking and (especially) camping". A real shame as he's a real expert. As far as I understand it (it's complicated!): these are also owned (by the county or whatever); the byelaws will tell you where you can & can't park. Check the local authority's website for individual car parks. Most are OK with it as long as you "play fair" but more and more are closing their doors ie fitting height barriers.
Verges are part of the highway and whatever rules apply to a particular stretch of the highway also apply to the verge, as far as it goes until it meets owned land.

EDIT I see gus-lopez has already answered while I went off to watch a TV programme half-way through writing my post ::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Excluding private property you are fine. Unless by-laws say otherwise.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I read with interest and shock in this months magazine. Page 11. Wild camping is illegal in England, Wales , and northern Ireland is this correct ? As I have wild camped quiet a few times in car park across the peak district without any problem and seen many more there aswell doi g the same.
Bit like Facebook a lot of those mag's of site parking done it all over the uk the site owner's would love it to be illegal this was probably written by a site owner
bill

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was under the impression. If it didn't say no over night stays on a car park then you could stay the night. Is this the case ?
As others have said above, that is not the case. More details Here.
Excluding private property you are fine. Unless by-laws say otherwise.
But in the UK all property is private in the sense that it is owned - even when the owner is a public body - and the law of the land applies in all cases :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A public body, so owned by the public.....:D

So if I am not causing an obstruction, what law am I breaking?

The opinion piece you wrote and point to begins. Opinions differ. It’s about the only bit of it I agree with.?

A Quiet country lane lay-by with no posted restrictions in place. Your Opinion is that it is illegal. If it is illegal... What law am I breaking if I sleep there?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The opinion piece you wrote and point to begins. Opinions differ. It’s about the only bit of it I agree with.
Which is why the article only contains factual information which can be supported by evidence :)
A Quiet country lane lay-by with no posted restrictions in place. Your Opinion is that it is illegal. If it is illegal... What law am I breaking if I sleep there?
That is covered in the paragraph about highways maintainable at public expense Jim :) It does not contain an opinion of legality or illegality; indeed it points out that there is no national legislation (other than the general restrictions on waiting and parking) and is, therefore, only restricted if there is a local TRO in place :)

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
No.you need to see the full regs which are either at each council online or you have to ask them individually by phoning.

i try and follow Gus advice by ringing local authority unless like winchester it states your allowed to overnight no more than 48 hours how ever if a car park has no restriction signs up and I cant contact the authority then I do overnight on them as far as I;m concerned no restriction signs then no restriction

OP
OP
Allinthestars

Allinthestars

Free Member
Sep 23, 2019
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740 Plus
Exp
That's what I think. If they do t want us there. They should clearly state this with signage like they easily do with signs on fines etc

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Two ways to look at it - knowing, of course, that the land is owned by somebody.
1. Only camp after getting in touch with the landowner and obtaining permission.
2. If permission cannot be obtained just camp anyway because that's what suits.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Even when the land is owned by someone rarely is it "Illegal" It's then a civil matter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back