Practicing Christians? (3 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We like to visit the odd cathedral when on tour. I marvel at the engineering and the beauty and just what the real building cost must have been in those times. It amazes me, what effect it would have had hundreds of years ago on peasants used to wooden huts.

me also.. I look up and wonder at how they achieved such amazing places and built with such basic tools.. a chisel and hammer.. and to think many took 100s of years to build..

few who started, be they mason or labourer could ever have seen the end result :Sad:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We like to visit the odd cathedral when on tour. I marvel at the engineering and the beauty and just what the real building cost must have been in those times. It amazes me, what effect it would have had hundreds of years ago on peasants used to wooden huts.

All based on myths and legends made up by a group of very clever people in Italy many years ago.

And today, there are many cathedrals in Brussels and Strasbourg built on myths and legends made up by a group of clever people very recently.

Farage, the Anti-Christ.

The Ken Follet book "Pillars of the Earth" gives quite a good insight into the building of those old cathedrals.

I marvel at the architecture too.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My late Grand Mother was very Church of Wales and forced me to accompany her every Sunday. I think it put me off to be honest and I haven't been since I was about 12.

Churches make me feel uncomfortable and I don't know why.
I sometimes attend a Greek orthodox church while in Cyprus. Not so much for redemption more the spectacle and occasion. The Greek women are much in need of support and belief and the men need much forgiveness for their sins. One of the occasions where the men leave their tootsie at home.:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
few who started, be they mason or labourer could ever have seen the end result :Sad:

They are the workers. What about the architect ! Even today, fully computerised, a cathedral would be a major undertaking. How on earth did they design and stress them ? Genius does not do the architect justice.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
They are the workers. What about the architect ! Even today, fully computerised, a cathedral would be a major undertaking. How on earth did they design and stress them ? Genius does not do the architect justice.

Liverpool Cathedral is a good example.... before computers but it was designed and built in relatively modern times... almost 100 years to complete !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I hadn't thought about the buildings until reading posts above. Undoubtedly magnificent and the skills of all involved in their building have to be admired. They are, though, an extra measure to put me off religion. As I am allergic to incense I daren't enter the vast majority of them.

OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Thanks to everyone for their fascinating replies! I as get older I realise that one can differ in ones view without falling out or taking umbrage.
What prompted the question: well at my baptist church we've been looking at the role of Christians in any community, and it occurred to me that I hadn't seen any mention of Christianity in the forum posts.
It seems from the replies that many people have a set of principles by which they measure their lives. For me I decided that the principles taught by Christ were the one's I wanted to follow. I deliberately used the word 'practicing' as if any one asks, I say I'm trying to be a Christian rather than that I am one.
Thanks again
Dai

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Incredible buildings , I wonder if they had planning and building control depts then :ROFLMAO:
When we travel we make a point of visiting cathedrals and churches, not for any religious reasons, just to appreciate the incredible skills in design and craft and often the oldest building still standing in a community .
Also wonder at the cost in money and lives :Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
.......well at my baptist church we've been looking at the role of Christians in any community, and it occurred to me that I hadn't seen any mention of Christianity in the forum posts...........

Dai

I have two cousins who are ministers in the Baptist Church in Scotland..

had lost touch with both since leaving the Brethren in 1971 and subsequently moving south in 1989.. just recently 'found' them through Facebook .. It has it's uses.. :roflmto:

I admire the work some churches do in the community ..in particular the Sally Ann..

Recently I tried to find all the Brethren assemblies I knew and attended or sung at.. and was saddened, although not surprised, that most if not all had now closed.. turned into carpet warehouses or some such business. :Sad:

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
I was brought up High Church Anglican and went to church regularly. Then two things happened.

I went to work for an organisation that had close ties with a major religion and soon became aware that the higher a person rose within the church the less saintly that person became. It was all about preserving assets and reputations and very little to do with anything else.

The second thing that happened was that I was diagnosed with a major illness and was unable to fully take part in communion. I was told that as I was unable to take communion I was no longer a full member of the church and could not vote or even express my thoughts or ideas.

At that point I stopped attending services although I do still go into churches (any denomination - it makes no difference) for deep peace and quiet reflection. Some would call this prayer. It doesn't have to be a church though, one can find this deep peace and reflection almost anywhere. I like churches and feeling the faith, hopes and fears of those people who previously passed that way.

[HI]
My take on life is that I should do no harm. I'm not as good as I should be but I do try. Life is for living and should not be wasted on guilt once one has done as much as possible to mitigate any harm done unintentionally.
[/HI]
Gosh, aren't we getting serious?

My sentiments exactly. :thumb:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I'm a Christian, though not a very good one. Like Chris I was raised in The Church of Wales tradition but refused to be Confirmed into it. Later I meet a girl who was Catholic, so, to impress her started going to her church. The relationship with the girl didn't last but funny enough I kept going to church, much to my Grandmothers horror. My Christianity is my belief I do not try to convert others but try and it is very hard to live my life as I think a Christian should. :thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i dont think i can practice it as i wont be no good at it so i will pass on this 1 i think i will go back to practicing drinking :Smile:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
as a foster parent,people seem to think I am a goody goody.but like most people.all we try to do is give the kids a way of life.we have a church turn a child away because he came from a different culture.so we could not let all the kids go on a trip.and the minster could not see the wrong in this.but as my wife said live and let live.we went away to the same place in the motorhome. win win.:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It seems from the replies that many people have a set of principles by which they measure their lives.
Dai

Most people know what constitutes a decent way of life. Why oh why do the religions encroach so that a decent honest Muslim is at the throat of a decent honest Jew. They both want just the same things.

There are two things we should worship, planet Earth and Lifeforms. We survive only as long as they survive. Non of the hundreds of gods will alter that equation.

OK lets be accurate, I'm an engineer I thrive on accuracy, evidence so far, 10,000 years or more, does not provide any irrefutable proof of any deity acting for the benefit of man.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
as a foster parent,people seem to think I am a goody goody

But you are. That is a tremendous responsibility full of risks and pain most people would not dream of taking on.

On the other hand I suspect the rewards can be beyond most people's dreams too.

Brave is a word I'd use.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
But you are. That is a tremendous responsibility full of risks and pain most people would not dream of taking on.

On the other hand I suspect the rewards can be beyond most people's dreams too.

Brave is a word I'd use.

I wouldn't use the term "goody goody" but think you are extremely brave. Foster parents are much needed but get little support. It can be hugely rewarding but also heart breaking.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its all very much like this little joke.

OH, FOR A PARKING SPOT
Paddy was driving down the street in a sweat because he had an important meeting and couldn't find a parking place. Looking up to heaven he said, "Lord take pity on me. If you find me a parking place I will go to mass every Sunday for the rest of me life and give up me Irish whiskey. "Miraculously, a parking place appeared. Paddy looked up again and said, "Never mind, Lord. I found one."

You wont know until its too late. So I am of the belief that its best to keep my options open.

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
Yes, I'm a practising Christian. I've been a church warden in a traditional Anglo-Catholic church (Church-in-Wales) for the last 16 years - now retired, because according to the church commisioners, I'm too old at 76!
After a 2 year interegnum (no vicar) and keeping the place going with visiting ministers, we now have a young incumbent who has doubled our attendance, a lot of newcomers being young parents with children. And it's not 'Happy clappy' or 'Messy Church', just good old-fashioned worship.
Our Easter attendance proves that this country is a Christian country, in spite of what the nay-sayers have proclaimed in the press during the last few days after Cameron made his comments and I'm proud to be part of it!
I don't push my beliefs on anyone else and everyone is free to hold their own opinion and I will strenuously defend their right to hold their opinions, irrespective of creed, colour, etc. That's what being a Christian is all about . :thumb:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I was christened into the Methodist faith, however as time has passed I have become a non believer. When you look back at the deeds that have been carried out in the name of religion it makes quake in your shoes. If you look back you will see what is happening today in other religions now, has taken place in the name Christianity in the past.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I find this thread quite sinister.
I'm trying to figure out the reason for asking the question in the first place.

The question asked was simply "Are you a Christian?" more or less.
Why does that need to evolve into the existence of a god?
Surely it's a simple yes / no question?

BTW:
Where cathedrals are concerned.
The fact that they are amazing structures has been accepted, but has anyone considered the motivation for building them in the first place?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ha ha, why did they build them? Read Ken Follett.

Maybe somewhat altruistic in that if there was some religious or other reason for people to come to the place (a shrine or a hospital or something) then it made sense to have a 'big church'. Also there was the infrastructure - shops, lodging houses, farming for the produce necessary etc etc.

But also cos the Abbot or whoever wanted to have the best one, to attract more people and advance him up the rungs of the promotion ladder so he'd get the Bishopric he fancied.

It was ever thus ......

Tom Builder rocked though, didn't he?

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Some application forms ask-- I say Christian , I don`t know why ,it`s what I was told I should be when I was young.
I appeared at lots of marriages over the years ,then baptisms , now departing's in churches.
It served it`s purpose with me --the 7 sins and gods watching me and all that , stopped me doing some wrongs over the years.

Nowadays its ,Big Brother / GPS tracking / internet memory /CCTV that watch me 24/7:Eeek:
If I need a divine answer to a problem ,I consult the 21st century god --Google:ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the 7 sins and gods watching me and all that , stopped me doing some wrongs over the years.

It's worked well for thousands of years, keeping humans under control and a nice little earner on the side. The ultimate threat, burn for all eternity.

But we are not isolated ignorant peasants any more and in the UK especially we don't have anything like that deterrent any more, the results are on streets for all to see.

"Houston we have a problem"

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
No, not me, but I am a really nice person who treats everyone I meet as I would like to be treated myself.
Thats really what its all about isn't it?

A lot of my family were ministers and avid church goers. I was baptised and got married ( first time) in Church, but would never go to a service now.
Earlier in the thread, Buttons mentioned Humanists.
I lived next to a family of Humanists for 8 years.
They were the most arrogant horrible people I have ever lived near. We sold our house at a huge loss in 1992 just to get away from them.

Allan

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
BTW:
Where cathedrals are concerned.
The fact that they are amazing structures has been accepted, but has anyone considered the motivation for building them in the first place?

If beer was the religion years ago ,pubs would have been built as big as cathedrals. :thumb:
Wither spoons seem to be changing the values of olden times.::bigsmile:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I was brought up C of E , I use to go to Sunday School, church every week, sometimes twice on a Sunday, (did get married in church, ) not now though, not because I don`t believe, I love going to church, it is the hypocrites that go, like my next door neighbour, seen to go to church, wouldn`t help if needed and doesn`t speak to anyone in the lane.

When I first moved into this village I was on my own with my two daughters, no one knew me as I don`t come from this area, I thought I would go to the church, until churchgoers in the village gave me and my daughters the cold shoulder,one daughter was so upset she came home sobbing, they didn`t know the reason why I was on my own, that did it for me if that was Christianity in this village I will not bother, and never have, have been to other churches as I enjoy going, as someone said, some of those that go to church are not necessarily Christians and those that don`t are more Christian in most cases, like my Father a better and more helpful person to others you couldn`t meet , I live my life as best I can, and do unto others as I wish to be done by. I do believe in God, that is just my view, my believe has got me through some tough times.
Very interesting thread.
Margaret

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back