Practical mh for Devon and Cornwall? (6 Viewers)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
In a tent ? šŸ„¶

I don't feel the cold!

Swimming in the Atlantic is nicer in the Winter, the water is often warmer than the air temperature so getting out is harder than getting in.

But it is nice if the van is close by and I can leave the heater and boiler on to have a hot shower once out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have lived in Cornwall for twenty years and owned motorhomes all of that time. My current one is a tiddler at 7.5 metres but it is also wider than average. I would go for the van you feel most comfortable in. As to the narrow roads of course there are many but most are perfectly passable and apart from the occasional tight squeeze passing other vehicles I have never had a problem in all those years.

Over the last 20 years even out of season it has become busier. That said though locals, tend to be much more tolerant of other drivers, take a little more time and in general pressures are far less. The bus services are really not that bad, plenty of car hire places but Cornwall is a big place and it depends where you are. You can always check any destinations on google earth first.

I would agree with others about the tag axle idea though, you may find some places will not accept them and if you are doing any off grid camping you will stick out like a sore thumb.

To me anything over 6 metres doesn't really make a lot of difference how long it is until you hit the 8 metre mark, width might be more of an issue.

Good luck with your hunt.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Winters down here are the best time compared to the rest of the UK but beware everything stored will tend to go mouldy, just one of the joys.:giggle:

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
My 7m goes pretty much anywhere when I'm down in cornwall out of season, avoid school bus times etc and you should be ok
Will you be wild camping or on sites? All year sites, that are not already full ,are not that plentiful in cornwall but its doable

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Hi all, I'm not sure if this is a new topic or just a continuation of my last. Apologies if I've inadvertently made a faux pas by posting it as new!

I've talked about how my wife and I are looking at full timing with our 20 month old son and thought a twin/tag axle/8m+ home would be great for the three of us.

Does anyone have much experience of driving these around Devon and Cornwall and could advise on whether they're just too big for getting to many of the campsites (big and small,) down here?

Thanks all :)
Have you got a C1 licens?

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
This thread makes it sound like Cornwall is a network of dirt tracks with the only transport being horse and cart . :) never had an issue in Cornwall before - just careful planning - no different from many counties I dare say . If a bus can get there - so can you

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Bin men lorries and the like are tolerated in narrow winding roads as they are doing a job but a Motorhome clogging the works up will not be appreciated!
You will not be able to get into any of the small fishing villages nor most of the coast!

OP
OP
R
Jul 7, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Starting to look
Exp
I'm a newbie
My 7m goes pretty much anywhere when I'm down in cornwall out of season, avoid school bus times etc and you should be ok
Will you be wild camping or on sites? All year sites, that are not already full ,are not that plentiful in cornwall but its doable
Probably a bit of both - although just seen the post here about sticking out like a sore thumb for off-grid camping in a tag-axle?

OP
OP
R
Jul 7, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Starting to look
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have lived in Cornwall for twenty years and owned motorhomes all of that time. My current one is a tiddler at 7.5 metres but it is also wider than average. I would go for the van you feel most comfortable in. As to the narrow roads of course there are many but most are perfectly passable and apart from the occasional tight squeeze passing other vehicles I have never had a problem in all those years.

Over the last 20 years even out of season it has become busier. That said though locals, tend to be much more tolerant of other drivers, take a little more time and in general pressures are far less. The bus services are really not that bad, plenty of car hire places but Cornwall is a big place and it depends where you are. You can always check any destinations on google earth first.

I would agree with others about the tag axle idea though, you may find some places will not accept them and if you are doing any off grid camping you will stick out like a sore thumb.

To me anything over 6 metres doesn't really make a lot of difference how long it is until you hit the 8 metre mark, width might be more of an issue.

Good luck with your hunt.
does it matter if we stick out like a sore thumb? Or will we be shunned and ignored? :p

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Probably a bit of both - although just seen the post here about sticking out like a sore thumb for off-grid camping in a tag-axle?
Haha, yes well they are not the most discreet vehicles šŸ˜‰
Screenshot_20210708-172501.png

Edit, not mine sadly.

Last edited:

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
As others have said, there are plenty of roads which are wide enough, and others which are not. Even though we are Devon & Cornwall, we still have big buses, bin lorries, tankers, tractors and cement mixers that use the roads every day without issue. Pick your routes carefully and avoid tiny villages with tiny roads.

You might want to check out Youtube for videos by "Kinging It". They converted an old Mercedes Bus and go everywhere in it.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
does it matter if we stick out like a sore thumb? Or will we be shunned and ignored? :p
If you do wild camp in the wrong place in a big tag axle you might be shunned but you won't be ignored.
Of course it is doable but you will just have to be careful where you stop and the bigger the van....

OP
OP
R
Jul 7, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Starting to look
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you do wild camp in the wrong place in a big tag axle you might be shunned but you won't be ignored.
Of course it is doable but you will just have to be careful where you stop and the bigger the van....
ok, makes sense. Thanks for the various comments :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back