PowerOak lithium generator & e bike charging. (1 Viewer)

Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
For those wondering how to charge their e bikes if wild camping, or just no access to EHU, this may prove helpful.
I have a Dutch produced RAD e bike and I’ve just topped up the power after a mornings ride using my PowerOak lithium generator.
The PO I recharge as I’m driving, via a cigarette plug connector, or via a solar ( Photovoltaic ) panel, if I’m parked & there is sufficient sun.
Then it’s a case of using the supplied charger connected to the bike battery.
Depending on how depleted the bike battery is will determine how long it takes to recharge ( I recharge after every ride). The PowerOak is the small one with a 220-240 300W output.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I fail to see how they can claim the device to be a “generator” when it is purely a storage device. The solar panel needed to top up the battery is not included and without it nothing gets generated.

I am not saying it is not a useful device, I just get tired of marketing hype using misleading descriptions.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Just a power bank nothing else. Does not generate anything. It stores pre charged electricity, exactly like the leisure batteries, but just mobile rather than fitted into the van’s system.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
They seem to be being given away to vanlife "influencers" on youtube with alarming regularity, lol
I think I'll become one for a day and see what goodies I can blag (y)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Not quite as most of these are just Lithium rather than the safer and to be fair more expensive LiFePO4
Yes they seem to use the generic Li Ion description without saying which of the many different chemistries theirs uses.

OP
OP
NoName
Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
How much charge was let on the Power Oak once the bike was charged, was there enough to charge another bike
It used 40% leaving a clear 60% so I’m sure it could have coped. There are larger ( but more expensive) PowerOak ‘generators’. Regardless of the terminology to describe them; I’m finding it a useful bit of kit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
NoName
Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
Isn't the 'poweroak' thing exactly the same as an extra leisure battery then?
It serves as an extra store of energy and is versatile as it has various plug sockets as well as being able to deliver AC or DC has pure Sine wave , wireless charging for smart phone, plus a useful light with 3 settings.
I wish I was a blogger and had been sent one of the larger ones for free😊.
Potential buyers can always NOT use the bloggers links but access Amazon the normal way. Some bloggers would sell their own Grandmothers for the payment they get from Amazon but there is at least one who reviews honestly and refuses payment from manufacturers. He regularly updates on Mimo
/ aerials etc.

Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
I've got a PowerOak and I think it's the same one as yourself (PS6S). I'm not an 'influencer' and had to stump up some hard earned for it. It's proved to be a super useful bit of kit, as my main leisure battery is a bit on the naff side and if away from EHU, I can plug the 12v TV and Amazon Fire Stick in there, as well as charging the mobile and only using the leisure battery for lights, intermittent use of the compressor fridge and running the control panel for heating and hot water. I also recently dragged the tent out and went camping and it was great to have a good power source with me.

Lithium and solar upgrade coming to the camper soon though, so the naff leisure battery issue will be fixed. 👍🏼

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Yep, I have a Allpowers unit, great bit of kit and allows me to extend the life of my leisure battery’s when away. I charge my laptop, phones, ebike etc. From it. I also use a smaller battery bank for 12v power when inflating our awning, windbreaks etc. and also to power our external 12v water water pump when topping up the tank via the Aquaroll.
Can I stress, all units were purchased at full price! 😀

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Last year I bought an Li Jump Starter Pack on Amazon. When it arrived the weight and voltages made me suspicious that it was not Li but Pb. I challenged the vendor on this point, received an immediate refund and was told I could keep it. Marketing hype is often misleading and sometime an outright lie. Fortunately when it comes to Li v Pb the weight and voltages are very different and easily checked.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back