Powering 12 volt only appliances whilst in the house?

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by The Meerkat, May 13, 2009.

1. The Meerkat

The Meerkat Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Recently I have been enjoying te pleasure of using my LCD both in the kitchen and whilst away touring as it is 12v and mains

Now, what I have is a vast amount of 12 volt only appliances, such as the wifes hairdryer, BBQ grill and cool box that I would be looking to use in the house whilst not touring

So, I suppose what I am looking for is the reverse of an inverter, rather than going from DC to AC, I would want to convert from AC to DC, I found a APP-300 product on the net and was wondering if anyone has been on teh same boat as me?

:Eeek:

2. The Wallace

The Wallace

Ratings:
    +2
    I used an old model railway transformer for years for some bits of boat gear I wanted to use at home, eg marine VHF radio.
    A battery charger is just a 240 to 12v transformer with a few extras thrown in!
    You could even set up a solar powered circuit using a car battery.
    It's a bodgers dream, your imagination will be the only limiting factor (unless style and good looks are important) (no offence meant - I am talking about the installation not you!).

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +40,977
  4. The Meerkat

The Meerkat Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your input guys - Theres one going on E-bay that runs out tomorrow so I'll keep my eyes peeled for it :thumb:

5. bashers

bashers

Ratings:
    +0
    Cripes. How many amps does that use???????

6. The Meerkat

The Meerkat Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry guys, guess my wording was wrong, it is in fact a grill, uses up to 15 amps- Thats the one below

12v Grill

7. Wildman

Wildman

Ratings:
    +8,653
    only 15 amps, wow I cringe at 4 amp appliences, need bigger solar panels and more batteries, hee hee