Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Been away for a few days and was watching our new to us, Avtech telly when it suddenly displayed the message "Low voltage, switching off" and with that, it turned itself off. I had forgotten to switch the Sargent charging unit back on having turned it off overnight because of the fan noise. Switching it back on solved the problem.

The question: I was under the impression that the charging unit just charged the batteries (we have a leisure and vehicle battery.) I know all the fuses and trip switches are also housed in the unit but thought that this was just for convenience. We were on EHU at the time so assume we were using power from that source and not from the battery? Why does the Sargent unit have to be charging for the EHU to work? We were also using power for heating, fridge etc at the same time.

Your wisest thoughts would be much appreciated.

Jerry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Once battery voltage drops below the threshold set by avtex it will turn off to conserve battery power.
Turning off the charger meant you were solely running on battery power.
When on hookup with the charger on you will be using the charger output to run 12v....the battery is there to provide any power over and above your chargers max output.

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Thank you Pj. So the limitation only applies to 12v appliances if the charger is turned off? Not anything running on 240v?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back