Power requirement Info please (1 Viewer)

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
This glorious government decided to try and spoil our plans for our 6 month tour next year by adding over 2 years to Caroline's pension requirements, but we have decided to stick 2 fingers up at them and go anyway.

We intend to stay off the grid as much as possible, spending most of our time in France and Portugal, we have a 90 litre onboard gas tank, all lights are LED, leaving in May so shouldn't need heating much, if at all, so most use of power should be running water pumps for showers, washing up etc, playing the radio and the odd DVD on occasion, the tracker and also the B2B plus charging pads and phones.

We don't intend to drive very far each day, it is intended to be a very sloth-like tour

We currently have a 100w solar panel and 2 x 100amp leisure batteries, would we be fairly bullet proof if I added another 100w panel and further 125 amp leisure battery.

Can't really be ar*ed to consider fitting an inverter, want to keep it as simples as possible.

Any help/info greatly appreciated.

Vic.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would have thought you are already pretty well catered for between Spring and Autumn. We have 2 x 90Ah batteries, 1 x 135W solar panel and that's it. Our most used lights are LED but we still have tubes over the cooker and table; we run a 12V TV and often watch DVDs when out of satellite footprint.
We spent 5 weeks from early Sept to first week of Oct in France and did not hook up once. Previously we have spent six weeks from mid-Sept to end-Oct in France and not needed hook-up.

p.s. oh yes - and I run a small 150 watt PSW inverter occasionally to charge laptop, phones, camera etc. (and sometimes a desk fan if it's very hot, but in future, I would go for a 12V fan such as the 'Endless Breeze' as it would use less power).

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
As JeanLuc says, you sound sorted especially in Spring time. Save your money and buy more wine. Oh and dont drive every day......chill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hymie

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Thanks JeanLuc, that has not only put my mind at rest but also kept my wallet a bit heavier. :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks Boringfrog, don't intend to drive every day, got 6 months at least to wander down to Portugal and back, and as we are both teetotal my wallet will be heavier still. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Vic

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Even when a solar panel keeps you going, it's not a bad idea to connect occasionally for 24 hours just to allow the on-board charger to bring the batteries up to full charge. More important if you are going away for an extended time rather than a few weeks. And an occasional night's campsite with hook-up, or a few hours on a hook-up equipped aire is a lot cheaper than fitting a load of new gear.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
As already said for the time of year you are away and the gear you have i think you will be fine. i would be supprised if you dont still have gas when you get home.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
As John Luc said, we also have 2 x 100w batteries and a 100w solar up top and we watched a couple of hours TV some nights, plus radio on. We had 3 months in Greece April to June and only went into a campsite to do washing etc twice for a couple of nights each time..
So go and enjoy, no worries !!
Mitch.
PS. My lady had nearly 4 years added on to her pension age !!! Ba@£$%ds...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back