Power Problems with Fiat Ducato (1 Viewer)

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Hi there can anyone give me any advice on our Dethleffs Fiat Ducato that we recently bought. It is an old motor (1990) and we took it out for the first time last weekend. My husband has been checking it out up to now and making sure it had new cambelt etc.

The problem we discovered on a run though was to do with the power. For the first about 7 miles it has hardly any power and God help us if we have to go up a steep hill! Then all of sudden we get a surge and from then on it flies along.

Anyone got any ideas please? It has a solar powered leisure battery inside and also a second leisure battery in the engine - could it have anything to do with the second leisure battery or is it just one of those things with this make?

Apart from that our first trip was great.

Many thanks,

Marion

OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Many thanks for that advice my husband will take a look at that. Incidently we passed you on our first trip but it had started to motor then so we couldn't stop ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
This probably isnt much of a help but our old 88 highwayman was a 2 litre petrol and we found it really didnt like pulling up hill our 90 bedoiun is a 2.5 litre diesel and pulls fine.

Upvote 0

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
What you describe is fairly normal if it's a Turbo Diesel. My 1993 Ducato surges forward as the Turbo speeds up when the throttle is opened to go up a hill. it takes a few seconds to become fully effective as it works off the exhaust gases. Along the flat or downhill with little throttle opening the Turbo is not providing extra forced air into the engine inlet.

Phil.

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi there can anyone give me any advice on our Dethleffs Fiat Ducato that we recently bought. It is an old motor (1990) and we took it out for the first time last weekend. My husband has been checking it out up to now and making sure it had new cambelt etc.

The problem we discovered on a run though was to do with the power. For the first about 7 miles it has hardly any power and God help us if we have to go up a steep hill! Then all of sudden we get a surge and from then on it flies along.

Anyone got any ideas please? It has a solar powered leisure battery inside and also a second leisure battery in the engine - could it have anything to do with the second leisure battery or is it just one of those things with this make?

Apart from that our first trip was great.

Many thanks,

Marion

I had the same problem with a Diesel motorhome and it turned out to be water in the Injection Pump.Drained and changed the fuel filter and bled the lift (fuel) pump and (in this case) mechanical injection pump through and it was ok.

You don't mention any excess smoke from the exhaust?

Has the injection timing been checked out?

Steve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Hi all many thanks for your replies. I forgot to say it is a diesel but not turbo and there is no smoke coming from the exhaust. Thanks American Dream for the mention of water - hubbie knows what you are talking about and will take a look in the morning.

Thanks again to you all for your advice. Will post and let you know if we fix it.

::bigsmile:

Marion

Upvote 0

Dawn

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
Merseyside.
Funster No
MH
Hightop.
Exp
17yrs.
Hi,

If you still have problems after checking all the above, it might be worth having your injectors cleaned & recalibrated,
As you might have 1 thats not opening up properly until the engine warms up.

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,

If you still have problems after checking all the above, it might be worth having your injectors cleaned & recalibrated,
As you might have 1 thats not opening up properly until the engine warms up.

Very good point Dawn.:thumb:

I forgot to mention I did put a bottle of injector cleaner through it.Did invest in a set of newly built and calibrated injectors though afterwards.

My non-turbo diesel was hard work getting up to speed and keeping "on the boil".
That's a fair load it's pulling.What power output is the engine rated at?

Steve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Update of Power Problems

Hi all,

My OH got time to check the diesel filter at the weekend and I think it was an original :roflmto:

£10 Halfords soon replaced that and it seems to be running better now. Won't know for sure until we can take it on a long run but the state of the old filter certainly didn't help.

Oh and he changed the horn as well - got fed up with the little beep beep.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Marion

Upvote 0

motaomer

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
hampshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
10+
no power

hi friend had same problem found 2 b fuel tank rusted ( top of tank ) it was worst when wet just thinking geoff & lyn :thumb:

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi all,

My OH got time to check the diesel filter at the weekend and I think it was an original :roflmto:

£10 Halfords soon replaced that and it seems to be running better now. Won't know for sure until we can take it on a long run but the state of the old filter certainly didn't help.

Oh and he changed the horn as well - got fed up with the little beep beep.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Marion

Crikey Marion,

If it was an original it really should have been changed as a normal service routine.

Best keep a spare for the next one.I changed mine on the last van and was suprised how much C**p there was in it.:Eeek:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back