Power lift/ step

Discussion in 'Motorhomes for the Disabled' started by airwave, Nov 27, 2017.

1. airwave

airwave Funster

Ratings:
    +677
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mushy

mushy Funster

Ratings:
    +700
    Thats brilliant. Nice and compact, looks light and easily manageable. Should be a doddle to get through that hab door and store away under the sink. Really affordable too.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +3,574
    My friend made his from a £10 scissor jack, welded a foot plate on the top and uses an old cordless drill to raise and lower. Grab handles either side of hab door provide support.

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. Foxy1956

Foxy1956 Funster

Ratings:
    +519
    We use an Autochair Milford hoist to get Sue into the passenger seat. It cost us £350 on eBay plus the fitting. I like the look of this hoist, but what is the weight? Sue cannot stand hence the need to use a sling to get her in with the Milford hoist.

5. SuperMike

SuperMike Funster

Ratings:
    +3,236
    A form of lift for those with limited mobility, Management can’t do stairs, is essential. We looked at the likes of this Listing but I was not that happy with how it works. However having said that, it might suit some, but for a secondhand bit of kit a little over priced.

In the end, we bought and fitted this.

http://www.burractuators.com/lifts/handy_lift.htm

About £1000, seven years ago, delivered from the States, it has served us well. It has to be welded to the chassis, because that is what takes the weight. If you need someone to fit it then that’s another grand. So somewhat more than that shown, but definitely more substantial and it also means I can wheel on and take up herself still in the wheelchair.

Top picture, it makes a great place for the bin. :)

Second picture, remember you have to fill in the stairwell. Demonstrated here by Lady Faith Finesse, who is now over the bridge, and missed terribly. :crying1:

Third picture shows the problem.

P1020077 (600 x 450).jpg P1020078 (600 x 450).jpg P1010801 (200 x 150).jpg

6. Mac Man

Mac Man Funster

Ratings:
    +10
    I have one of these Motorsteps but find the stability legs a bit crude and fiddley to lock in position, likewise to fold up for traveling. They are a big lump to haul into the motorhome plus they take up a lot of floor space, especially as I have other bits of equipment needed for my disabled wife. For safety when traveling I have fixed a ring bolt through the floor and rope the Motorstep to this as I found it would slide down the MH if I brake sharply.
    Riverbankannie could you find out find out from your friend what lift he gets from the scissor lift, I’ve only managed to find about 16” maximum so far as I though this could be a better option to the big lump of a Motorstep.

Look forward to any comment and help! Thanks

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Foxy1956

Foxy1956 Funster

Ratings:
    +519
    Have you tried Autochair's Milford hoist. We have had one for 7 years and bought in on eBay for £350 plus fitting costs. It's relatively lightweight and lifts Sue into the passenger seat. We love it and it's very easy to use.

8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +18,587
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Mac Man

Mac Man Funster

Ratings:
    +10
    Foxy1956 my wife can stand and walk a few steps with a Zimmer frame so would prefer some sort of lift, smaller and lighter than the Motorstep. Thanks for the suggestion of the Milford hoist.
    Hope someone has another idea or suggestion.

• Like it Like it x 1