michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
So a long story here goes. Arrived at Les Gets for some snowboarding in my Hymer 2008 and at 9pm the electrics went dead so had to run the genny till midnight. The next day went to service point and with the engine running filled and emptied everything went to check water level and the panel wiped it self and reset had to reprogram time date all of it. So checked voltage at batteries both 110amps at 12.6v. So next day took them out cleaned all connections checked all the wiring I could, put back togther but everyday I have to run the genny for a few hours to charge the display. It gets to around 7 AH then jumps to 195 Ah 100% charge instantly and will last 10 hours then go flat and maybe only take 20 mins and full again.
The display says charge and also comes up with gas bottle empty warning even though that’s not even enabled. Both batteries are elecocell carbon fibre 110AH and are 10 years old but never missed a beat. So is it the battery’s or the EBL block playing up.
I return in two days but am back in 8weeks so need to sort out, it would normally do 2 days easy in these conditions in the past.
If it is the battery’s what are the best to buy at this time it’s an EBL101.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm guessing here as I have no experience of your system. However, I have myself experienced a situation where my batteries were indicating 12.7 V and then dies as soon as the sun went down as they had reached their cycle life and were only showing the power being received from my Solar Panel. I do find it odd that you are getting an empty gas bottle waring and I suspect this is an electronic fault within the EBL block.
I would not write off your batteries without doing further tests. Ten years is more than most batteries last but you don't say what type they are and how they have been used and maintained. They could still be good.

OP
OP
M

michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
They will do 10 hours in darkness. The batteries are sealed and have never been a problem before now! They are topped up with solar usually.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would suspect your batteries. I previously had 2 x 110 Ah Elecsol and they lasted 6 years before one failed suddenly (EBL 99 in my case in a 2003 Hymer). The fact that your system shut down last night indicates that you flattened the batteries and, at 10 years old, I would have thought that was enough to kill them finally.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
They will do 10 hours in darkness. The batteries are sealed and have never been a problem before now! They are topped up with solar usually.
What type ! Gel, AGM or Lead Acid. During the 10 hours of darkness how many amps are you using ? It is possible they have reached the end of their life but as I said earlier this does explain the gas bottle warning light coming on. Hopefully a member who has the same system will pop along shortly with the correct solution to your problem. I'm just guessing and their are already to many members on here who give the wrong or bad advice and I do not want to be included.

OP
OP
M

michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
Shut down every night for the past 7 and then 2 hours fully charged again. Then they last another10-12 depending on day or night.
I would of thought they would be totally dead now?

OP
OP
M

michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
What are the best batteries around at the minute? Would like the same or bigger AH size?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Stick with flooded lead-acid or gel would be my advice: avoid AGM. I now have 2 x Varta LFD90 which are the former type and have been very satisfied with them. They seem to be popular with several Funsters and can be bought from Battery Megastore for just under £100 each.

Reactions: f6c
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Stick with flooded lead-acid or gel would be my advice: avoid AGM. I now have 2 x Varta LFD90 which are the former type and have been very satisfied with them. They seem to be popular with several Funsters and can be bought from Battery Megastore for just under £100 each.
The above mentioned Varta batteries are according to Varta's web site for low to moderate usage. Whatever batteries you do choose make sure your on board charger can maintain them correctly. Gel and AGM require different settings than Lead Acid. and the size of your battery bank will be limited by the capability of your charger. The user manual will tell you how big your battery bank can be.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Be aware that the Varta battery types that are listed for ‘heavier’ usage on their website are both AGM versions. Unless you have the very latest model EBL it will not have a dedicated AGM charging programme. Lennyhb will testify to the problems he has had with AGM batteries and an EBL (Banner in his case I believe). Also, you will note that the NCC approved list does not contain either Varta or Bosch because it is only a partial list containing those manufacturers that have applied to be on it. Neither does the list tell you whether a particular battery’s technology is flooded, gel or AGM unless it is specified in the product name.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
[QUOTE=" Also, you will note that the NCC approved list does not contain either Varta or Bosch because it is only a partial list containing those manufacturers that have applied to be on it. Neither does the list tell you whether a particular battery’s technology is flooded, gel or AGM unless it is specified in the product name.[/QUOTE]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NCC list, includes the unique brand and model name which identifies the type of battery on the list.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
[QUOTE=" Also, you will note ..........
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NCC list, includes the unique brand and model name which identifies the type of battery on the list.
Yes, the list does,of course, contain each model name/number. However, the list itself does not specify which technology (or type) of battery is being referenced unless the manufacturer’s model name happens to include it - e.g XYZ100 AGM. In the absence of such a name one has to look up each product on the relevant manufacturer’s website or in the catalogue.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, the list does,of course, contain each model name/number. However, the list itself does not specify which technology (or type) of battery is being referenced unless the manufacturer’s model name happens to include it - e.g XYZ100 AGM. In the absence of such a name one has to look up each product on the relevant manufacturer’s website or in the catalogue.
Agreed. The list would be better if it also included type.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back