Power Inverters (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I bought one of the 300w inverters from Lidl with the intention of using it to charge phones, laptops, etc. when off EHU. I've wired in a cigarette lighter socket direct off the battery which is fine for the phones and to run the inverter from. Problem I have is with the laptop. :cry: On normal 240v, i have a green charge indicator light and message saying battery xx% charging. With the inverter, the light is red, but same message. Don't want to risk damaging the lap top. Should I fork out for a pure or modified sine wave inverter? I am sure there is someone on here that can come up with the answer :thumb: Thanks.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Last edited:

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Buy a universal 12v power adapter for the laptop... they come with adjustable output voltage (typically 9.5V to 20V) to suit different laptops and have a selection of tips..

This is an example from Maplin.. also has 5V USB port which can be used to charge your mobile, iPod etc

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-auto-...ter-with-1a-usb-socket-12-charging-tips-a83la

I also looked at these but none that I have found have a tip to fit my laptop.
:Sad:

As long as the battery in the laptop is being charged then I can't see that you have a problem, Ninovan.

The green/red charging light - is that on the laptop itself, or is it on the charger? What is the make and model of your laptop? I will look up the charging light indicator statuses for you if you like?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

[HI]As long as the battery in the laptop is being charged then I can't see that you have a problem, Ninovan. [/HI]

The green/red charging light - is that on the laptop itself, or is it on the charger? What is the make and model of your laptop? I will look up the charging light indicator statuses for you if you like?

I disagree.. if he has a red light it is not charging and it may cause damage..

I've used 12v adapters for several laptops, Dell, Sony and Apple.. I certainly wouldn't use a quasi sine wave for an expensive bit of electronic kit ..

OP
OP
Ninovan
Oct 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012

As long as the battery in the laptop is being charged then I can't see that you have a problem, Ninovan.

Hi OddSocks. Many thanks for that. The green/red light is on the laptop itself. It's a Samsung Ultrabook NP530. I dont want to risk blowing it as it's herselfs! I'd never hear the last of it. :Blush:

OP
OP
Ninovan
Oct 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
ScotJimland;1005442[HI said:
]I disagree.. if he has a red light it is not charging and it may cause damage.. [/HI]

I've used 12v adapters for several laptops, Dell, Sony and Apple.. I certainly wouldn't use a quasi sine wave for an expensive bit of electronic kit ..

If you hover the curser over the battery icon, it sows remaining charge as a percentage and time, and says "charging". it's the red light that is confusing me. :Doh:

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
seek and thee will find
Broken Link Removed

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You are fine mate, no need to buy anything else. Details from the product manual state the following:

This shows the power source and the battery charge status.
Green: When the battery is fully charged or the battery is not installed.
Red or orange: When the battery is being charged.
Off: When the computer is running on battery power without being connected to
AC adapter.

Your Manual

You are welcome

PS - Those 12v adapters are still not use to me as they I can't find a single once which fits my laptop!!! Arse!

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I disagree.. if he has a red light it is not charging and it may cause damage..

IF!!!!! the battery is charging. I said IF.

If it is charging there is no problem.

I worked for over 25 years in corporate computer systems, I know what I am talking about.

The battery is charging there is no problem. He just misunderstood what the lights meant.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You are fine mate, no need to buy anything else. Details from the product manual state the following:

This shows the power source and the battery charge status.
[HI]Green: When the battery is fully charged [/HI]or the battery is not installed.
[HI]Red or orange: When the battery is being charged.[/HI]
Off: When the computer is running on battery power without being connected to
AC adapter.

Your Manual

You are welcome

PS - Those 12v adapters are still not use to me as they I can't find a single once which fits my laptop!!! Arse!

IF!!!!! the battery is charging. I said IF.

If it is charging there is no problem.

I worked for over 25 years in corporate computer systems, I know what I am talking about.

The battery is charging there is no problem. [HI]He just misunderstood what the lights meant.[/HI]

still doesnt explain why, when on mains it shows charging while the green fully charged light is lit and shows charging while on inverter but shows a red light

It cant work both ways...green is fully charged and red is charging

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
still doesnt explain why, when on mains it shows charging while the green fully charged light is lit and shows charging while on inverter but shows a red light

It cant work both ways...green is fully charged and red is charging

That's because the OP has made a mistake and misunderstood the lights on his computer.

It does not show green while charging when he is at home. I will bet you wen he tests this he sees that I am right. Either that, or the product manual is wrong. Which is very very unlikely.

I have been doing this work for over 25 years. When charging the light is red. I know this - this is why I asked for the make and model so I could check the manual for him.

Don't forget, when at home it is probably plugged in most of the time and therefore rarely charging.

Let him test this - you will see. There is no problem. It is working as it should.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Hi OddSocks. Many thanks for that. The green/red light is on the laptop itself. It's a Samsung Ultrabook NP530. I dont want to risk blowing it as it's herselfs! I'd never hear the last of it. :Blush:
On my Samsung Ultrabook the led is green when the battery is fully charged (even with power supply plugged in), and red when it's charging

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On my Samsung Ultrabook the [HI]led is green when the battery is fully charged [/HI](even with power supply plugged in, and [HI]red when it's charging[/HI]

as is my Kindle fire (amber charging/green charged) but my samsung tab 3 doesnt have any leds....just an onscreen battery status meter when turned on or a momentary 'charging' symbol when first plugged in.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On my Samsung Ultrabook the led is green when the battery is fully charged (even with power supply plugged in), and red when it's charging

This is a very typical behaviour.

People make the mistake of thinking their computer is charging because it is plugged in. It is therefore easy to think that green light = charging. However, it does not. I didn't wan to tell the OP this before I had checked it in his user manual though, as it is always possible that an organisation has decided to change the way they program the lights. Having checked it was the standard lighting, I posted the good news here.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Here is a screen-shot from the product manual.

Capture.jpg

The full product manual is available by clicking here

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Ok, here's my take just to confuse you some more......
I've been motorhoming for 9 years with various laptops as most of that time have been motorhoming with gaming kids....

1) 12v charger, have tried these and if you get the correct one it is the simplest way to go, however I've had serious problems with them on at least two of the 6 laptops we have used over the years. Beware of cheap eBay Chinese crap.

2) regardless of what info you are being given, from whatever manual. If you plug your laptop in too the mains at home and it comes up with a green light, when plugged in on the inverter it should still have a green light to indicate charging, anything else and it ain't doing as it should.
Reason, your inverter is NOT adequate for what ever reason. The elecies might offer a reason but the facts are for some reason laptops take some charging current, I know not why only that they do.

You and nobody has to agree with me, I can only tell you what I know is right having had the situation with so many laptops over the years. Either find an appropriate 12v or buy a better inverter :thumb:

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2) regardless of what info you are being given, from whatever manual. If you plug your laptop in too the mains at home and it comes up with a green light, when plugged in on the inverter it should still have a green light to indicate charging, anything else and it ain't doing as it should.
Reason, your inverter is NOT adequate for what ever reason.

I am sorry but this is technically wrong, in fact it is technically impossible.

The important point that you are missing is that when plugged in at home it is only green when it is not charging the battery. When plugged in at home it is red when it is charging the battery. I have explained this error already. I have seen it dozens of times over the years.

It is not technically possible for the laptop to somehow "know" that the power supply is plugged in to an inverter rather than the mains. If the laptop senses +5.5 or +9 or +20 volts coming in from the charging unit (Or however many volts it uses) It will start to charge the battery, and it will light it's charging light.

If the inverter is not up to the job, the power supply will not produce the correct voltage, and the laptop will not charge. It will therefore not put it's charging light on. As it IS doing, there is no problem with the inverter. If the OP leaves it plugged in to the inverter long enough for the battery to become fully charged that light will go green, just like it is when it is plugged in at home.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I am sorry but this is technically wrong, in fact it is technically impossible.

The important point that you are missing is that when plugged in at home it is only green when it is not charging the battery. When plugged in at home it is red when it is charging the battery. I have explained this error already. I have seen it dozens of times over the years.

It is not technically possible for the laptop to somehow "know" that the power supply is plugged in to an inverter rather than the mains. If the laptop senses +5.5 or +9 or +20 volts coming in from the charging unit (Or however many volts it uses) It will start to charge the battery, and it will light it's charging light.

If the inverter is not up to the job, the power supply will not produce the correct voltage, and the laptop will not charge. It will therefore not put it's charging light on. As it IS doing, there is no problem with the inverter. If the OP leaves it plugged in to the inverter long enough for the battery to become fully charged that light will go green, just like it is when it is plugged in at home.

It's not though and your answering your own question...

1) the op says when being charged on 240 it shows a green light. When being charged on the inverter it shows a red light.
You then say the laptop would not know what source it was plugged in to so therefore as I said should still be a green light regardless of what the manual says...

So the Op should plug it in to the mains at home, if the light is green, nip outside and plug it in to the inverter, light should still be green no if of buts as the power from the inverter should be mimicked the same as the mains power.

As said, I have nothing to base my knowledge on other than the years of experience of running various laptops on various charging systems over many years...I know little about electrics other than what I know for experience. The simple facts in this matter is the inverter is not up to the job, as said the cleanest and simplistic way is a good proper 12v charger :Cool:

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It's not though and your answering your own question...

1) the op says when being charged on 240 it shows a green light. When being charged on the inverter it shows a red light.
You then say the laptop would not know what source it was plugged in to so therefore as I said should still be a green light regardless of what the manual says...

So the Op should plug it in to the mains at home, if the light is green, nip outside and plug it in to the inverter, light should still be green no if of buts as the power from the inverter should be mimicked the same as the mains power.

As said, I have nothing to base my knowledge on other than the years of experience of running various laptops on various charging systems over many years...I know little about electrics other than what I know for experience. The simple facts in this matter is the inverter is not up to the job, as said the cleanest and simplistic way is a good proper 12v charger :Cool:

You still have not twigged the mistake. Did you read all the thread?

It is only green at home because the battery is fully charged because it is plugged in all the time. Just because it is plugged in does not mean it is charging. It could be plugged in and the battery full. When this is the case the light is green. People make the mistake of thinking that the green light means it is charging, BECAUSE IT IS PLUGGED IN. It does not. As described already!

I have had this very same conversation dozens of times. I spent 25 years running computers systems for some prety big companies. 17 of those years as IT manager, running help desks for over 500 staff. I know what I am talking about.

I will bet you a fiver that the when tested the laptop behaves exactly the same plugged in to the inverter as it does when plugged in to 240 outlet at home. Technically, nothing else is possible.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
On normal 240v, i have a green charge indicator light and message saying battery xx% charging. With the inverter, the light is red, but same message. .

So what's the difference?

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ninovan, try this and we will confirm once and for all what is going on :thumb:

1. Run the laptop without any power supply for 5 or 10 minutes.
  2. Plug it in at home and check the light out (It should be red, and the power status symbol should be showing xx% charged, Charging)
  3. Disconnect from the house supply. Go to the van (Or just next time you are using it, whatever) and connect the laptop to the inverter. Check the light. (It should also be red, and the power status symbol should be showing xx% charged, Charging)
  4. either at home or in the van, leave it plugged in until you reach 100% charge. The light will go green.
  5. Use the computer whilst connected to either the domestic supply or the inverter. So long as it is plugged in the light will stay green. This does not mean it is charging.

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Ninovan, try this and we will confirm once and for all what is going on :thumb:

1. Run the laptop without any power supply for 5 or 10 minutes.
  2. Plug it in at home and check the light out (It should be red, and the power status symbol should be showing xx% charged, Charging)
  3. Disconnect from the house supply. Go to the van (Or just next time you are using it, whatever) and connect the laptop to the inverter. Check the light. (It should also be red, and the power status symbol should be showing xx% charged, Charging)
  4. either at home or in the van, leave it plugged in until you reach 100% charge. The light will go green.
  5. Use the computer whilst connected to either the domestic supply or the inverter. So long as it is plugged in the light will stay green. This does not mean it is charging.

Just woke up to have the very same idea....

Please report back.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Despite all the "mistakes" and arguments abounding on this thread about the mysterious red/green light issues, I still think it is not sensible to use a modified or quasi sine wave inverter to run sensitive electronics- I personally saw capacitors pop on some electronic knitting machines which were powered up for demonstration with a modified sine wave inverter but have never had problems running them or other items off a pure sine wave source, even buying one of those Honda pure sine wave gennies when making a gennie purchase a while ago.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Despite all the "mistakes" and arguments abounding on this thread about the mysterious red/green light issues, [HI] I still think it is not sensible to use a modified or quasi sine wave inverter to run sensitive electronics- [/HI] I personally saw capacitors pop on some electronic knitting machines which were powered up for demonstration with a modified sine wave inverter but have never had problems running them or other items off a pure sine wave source, even buying one of those Honda pure sine wave gennies when making a gennie purchase a while ago.

been saying that from the start..

quasi sine wave inverters are also less efficient than a 12v power adapter.. also converting from 12vdc to 230vac then back again to 15-20 vdc is a nonsense and even less efficient.. :Doh:

They have improved over the years and are fine on most power equipment.. but won't operate electric tooth brush chargers and a few other bits of kit.. some micro waves won't run on them and electric clocks go slow.. washing machines won't run ether ..

If you must use then buy a quality unit such as from Sterling.. avoid cheap ones on ebay ..they may work out costly.

nice to see you posting.. :thumb:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
so...plug the laptop into the grid mains and see a green light (charged) with the laptop turned off.
Now quickly plug it into the inverter....it should also show green.

Even if the battery self discharged a few millivolts in the short time it took to swap power sources it would only take a few seconds to top it up and show a green light again.

The op is saying it shows green on grid power yet orange on inverter power

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
so...plug the laptop into the grid mains and see a green light (charged) with the laptop turned off.
Now quickly plug it into the inverter....it should also show green.

Even if the battery self discharged a few millivolts in the short time it took to swap power sources it would only take a few seconds to top it up and show a green light again.

The op is saying it shows green on grid power yet orange on inverter power

Thank god for that. ..I thought I was going mad. ..

Its so simple...
What ever is mimicked on the grid at home should be mimicked on the laptop when plugged in the van inverter...

We use to have a problem wherby one of our laptops would show it's charging whilst the kids watched dvds etc yet the laptop would more power than what seemed to seemed to go in... everybody told me this was not possible.... But that was what was happening. ..I purchased a proper and graded 12v adaptor problem sorted. .... reason inverter (cheap job) was not up to the job of charging lap top properly..... It ran a telly and other things but would not do laptop.

I think as a get out the only rationale I can giveis that the OP is not clear what he is doing ie does the laptop need charging or not.... In the op is not clear

OP
OP
Ninovan
Oct 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Well....... I now feel a right plonker! Do you ever wish you had never started a thread? It turns out that orange/red is charging, green is charged. :Doh::Doh::Doh: (Just as said!) Both on mains and inverter. In my defence(?) SWMBO said it was always green, probably because always plugged in! I use an old steam driven PC at home so don't have these problems! Thanks to everybody for their input, especially OddSocks for the link to the manual, etc. I never thought I was going to start World War 3! Will probably see some of you at Newbury, but think I'll keep my head down :Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back