Power inverter ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7871
3 questions if I may:

my cigarette lighter plug in power inverter stopped working yesterday ( Tcp smell in living area on our return, so assumed burn out of PCB / component ). This was used to provide power to the TV only.

Q1: why would that happen ? Faulty cigarette lighter point ? Or something else I need to check ?

couple of things I did yesterday prior to the problem occurring; I disconnected EHU and reconnected 10 seconds later.

i started engine briefly.

q2: if I wanted to install a pure sine wave inverter connected to battery, any recommendations on make / model etc please ?

3: how easy / or not is it too wire extra plug / usb sockets from the inverter ? DIY job or professional job ?

thanks
Alan

OP
OP
meatyparson
Aug 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7871
Hi,

the TV takes either 12 or 240v

I stupidly left the 12V converter plug in the car but had the inverter already in the MOHO, hence why i used that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That explains it.....

If it was a cheap inverter it may have exceeded its input voltage when you started the engine. That's IF it was plugged into the dashboard 12v socket.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
meatyparson
Aug 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7871
It wasn’t that cheap ~ £180 if memory serves me?

The inverter was plugged in to the cig lighter near the TV point ( not the dashboard one )

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
3: how easy / or not is it too wire extra plug / usb sockets from the inverter ? DIY job or professional job ?
Don't overlook the simple 4-way mains extension. Most have keyhole-shaped holes in the back so you can mount them on a flat wooden surface with ordinary screws. Some of them even have USB sockets if that's what you want.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
q2: if I wanted to install a pure sine wave inverter connected to battery, any recommendations on make / model etc please ?
Don't buy a big one if you only need it for TV. Big ones are more wasteful. Our small one only uses 0.2 amps on standby, it's so insignificant we always use a 230v TV. The mass market big brand TVs are more reliable IMO.
Anyway this is our inverter:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back