power in my 20 year old hymer?? (1 Viewer)

Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
hi all,can someone refresh my memory ,if my leisure battery is flat and i plug my mains power lead into my hymer b534 is it just the fridge that lights up on switch and i need to wait for leisure battery to charge in order for my lights to work,thanks in advance ,nunny

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You should have instant 12v to all appliances when on hookup via the battery charger/power supply even if the battery is flat.
The fridge is independant of the battery on hookup and will be on 230v.

If you have no 12v at all i suggest your charger isnt working.
Many older chargers have an onboard fuse, usually a glass tube type, somewhere in the charger casing or the 230v breaker controlling the charger circuit has tripped.

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
hi ,no it has not tripped ,and i cant see a fuse my charger is the basic elektroblock la110,cant see a fuse .weird it worked when we went to howarth few week ago ,setting off wed ,no lights lol.i can here it buzzing as normal buddy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Check under the passenger seat, on the panel with all the electric relays bolted on. There is a fuse box containing 4 glass fuses. One of them controls the charger.
Borrow a multi-meter, and check your hab battery. Plugged in, it should read about 13.8 volts. If it reads 12 or below, its the charger, either fuse or unit. (y)

OH! I suppose you have switched the 12 volt on at the hab panel???

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Hi tootles , how's things , I don't have anything under my passenger seat buddy , my relays are to the left of drivers seat at front behind the bullet fuses , but no glass fusers , my habitation panel dosnt have a switch to switch on or off , it just always worked until now , I havnt had my mains lead in so leisure battery is flat however

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
When I spoke to the people in Wales who work on the elecroblok units they informed me mine was basic charger with no fuses , can't get my head round the fact that when I parked it up all was fine , must be like the lambrettas I owned in past lol , of all the times to not work though

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
The only control I have for the 12 v is a red isolator switch to the side of the bullet fuses tootles , where my water levels are and power etc on the panel their is no 12 v on off on my Hymer

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi tootles , how's things , I don't have anything under my passenger seat buddy , my relays are to the left of drivers seat at front behind the bullet fuses , but no glass fusers , my habitation panel dosnt have a switch to switch on or off , it just always worked until now , I havnt had my mains lead in so leisure battery is flat however
OK then, just put the multi-meter across your hab battery when your plugged in.

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Last time this occurred it was the tab on one of the bullet fuses , but I bent it in and it worked , tried all the bullet fuses and they seem ok

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So, theres nothing at all in your battery???????? like ZERO???? Sure you have the meter set up right??

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
plug an external 12v charger into a vacant socket then and connect to the battery however if your meter really is reading zero across the battery terminal on the volts 20v DC range then the battery is beyond redemption or the meter is incorrectly set/buggered

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Update plugged my invertor in plug socket that also can work as battery charger , lights work ?no what nakerd battery or on board charger ?

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Can someone explain this , I ran invertor for two to three mins on charge mode . I've now unplugged it and all my appliances work ie control panel water level gauges lights ? How weirdos that any idea why ?

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
And now the on board charger seems to be charging as the needles fluctuating on my control panel where as before I had nowt ,

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Lol tootles you got me howling buddy , suppose I can always use invertor that way as long a it dosnt trip the electric on a caravan site , but it seems to have kick started everything , I just don't understand how or why ?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Fingers crossed mate. No idea why it did that, unless a relay was stuck.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But if you put the meter across pos and neg on your battery and got no reading the battery is still buggered.

Or it was pilot error and the pilot wasnt using the meter correctly.

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Pappajohn could if been user error even tho I know how to use the meter it was very dark in my defence

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back