Power for CPAP off grid.Whats the best way to go? (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
My wife has an NHS supplied Phillips Respireonics CPAP m/c.
It uses a 12v input.
Originally we bought a 266Wh lithium rechargeable battery for it when we had a sailing boat with limited capacity on board. We still use this on the motorhome.
Doesn't seem to be available now in Uk
this can power her m/c for about 5 nights.
I seem to remember it cost £299

We also bought a 96WH lithium rechargeable for carriage on aircraft, where there is a limit to the size of battery you can carry. This will power the m/c for about 2 nights.
https://www.eu-pap.co.uk/tracer-compact-12v-cpap-battery-pack.html

Both recharge via a 240v ac charger.

We could of course use the hab battery by we don't currently have a 12v socket by the bed.

cpap1.jpg cpap2.jpg cpap3.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for these useful replies.
Our dealer quotes £850 for a solar panel fitted, Road Pro is £300 cheaper, but will that be a problem for the damp warranty?

Just to put this into perspective, this is what is sitting on my MH roof................

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Philips CPAP machine and humidifier with 12 volt adapter,160 AH batteries and 200 watt of solar also a 12 compressor fridge I’ve managed 3 days when it’s dull without hook up.
When we travel to Benidorm I have no problems whatsoever, I bought a Hyundai 2000sei generator and have only used it once and that was to charge someone else’s batteries.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
When I first had a cpap none of the kit was NHS supplied in my area. I now get a home cpap but would not expect the NHS to supply my adapters etc. so that I can go off grid in my motorhome. They probably have other priorities. We choose an expensive pastime and have to accept that there are costs involved.
NHS (England) supply CPAP machines suitable for lorry drivers who overnight in their cabs there was no ssue at all when we asked for one suitable for 12V use.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Question - we might need to get a nebuliser - have Googled them and you can buy them with mains and 12v leads - but if you need one - do the NHS happily supply such things?

We have one for SWMBO. But not 12V. I just use it on a 300W inverter.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We could of course use the hab battery by we don't currently have a 12v socket by the bed.

We had one put in out previous van and did the VAT exemption form :) In the new van the dealer put it in free of charge.

NHS (England) supply CPAP machines suitable for lorry drivers who overnight in their cabs there was no ssue at all when we asked for one suitable for 12V use.

In Scotland lorry drivers get the 12v adapter but have to prove their occupation.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I use a Resmed 10 CPAP. (Without humidifier). I bought a 12 volt lead for it as the NHS in London will not supply them. Our batteries are over 8 years old and we have 1 80 watt solar panel. Over new year it managed 5 nights (just) along with heating and lights.

Sonja

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I use a Resmed 10 CPAP. (Without humidifier). I bought a 12 volt lead for it as the NHS in London will not supply them. Our batteries are over 8 years old and we have 1 80 watt solar panel. Over new year it managed 5 nights (just) along with heating and lights.

Sonja
It does seem that humidifiers and climate tubing make a very big difference to power consumption. In my case .55A goes to 2.03A with humidifier and to 5.58A with climate control.

OP
OP
Griffithii

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Two years, 5,000 miles, less than 100 nights
Thanks @AU I can see now how much battery reserve we'll need. I worry we always over spec / go for top of the range, now we can get "enough" without providing for Armageddon. Still thinking about main dealer v RoadPro, I worry about the damp warranty if someone else works on the van. It's nearly new so still got 5+ years manufacturers warranty.

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
I use a Phillips Respironics CPAP which will run on mains or, with an adaptor lead, on 12 volts. However, rather than use the habitation battery to supply 12 volts in the motorhome, I use a Tracer 12V Ultra CPAP 22Ah Lithium Polymer Battery Pack which will power the CPAP for about 4 nights if used without humidifier and heated hose. It's quite compact being about 2/3 of the size of a house brick. It is expensive at about £300 but is also useful in hotels, ferries and as back-up for mains power cuts. The battery pack comes with a mains charger and a lead to charge from 12 volts while travelling.

Dilwyn, have you used this battery pack with humidifier? Any idea about how long one could then expect?

I use a Resmed S9 Autoset.

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
It does seem that humidifiers and climate tubing make a very big difference to power consumption. In my case .55A goes to 2.03A with humidifier and to 5.58A with climate control.

Perhaps Pausim's contribution here answers my question: in his case, consumption rises by about four times.

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Dilwyn, I was wondering why you wrote that the Tracer battery pack is useful in hotels.

Oct 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Malibu PVC
Exp
40+ years Caravanning & M/homes
Dilwyn, I was wondering why you wrote that the Tracer battery pack is useful in hotels.
Saves using long extension leads when there is no mains socket near the bed. Something that's quite common in older hotels and particularly in the French ones we use.

Oct 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Malibu PVC
Exp
40+ years Caravanning & M/homes
Dilwyn, have you used this battery pack with humidifier? Any idea about how long one could then expect?
Actually, I always use the humidifier but when using the battery pack I set the heat to zero. It is firstly quieter with the humidifier attached and if you use slightly warm water you still get some humidity benefit as the tank is about half empty by morning. My Phillips machine does not quote the separate power consumption for the humidifier so I cannot calculate the extra consumption. Overall the power use is variable depending on the machine's pressure setting anyway.

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Actually, I always use the humidifier but when using the battery pack I set the heat to zero. It is firstly quieter with the humidifier attached and if you use slightly warm water you still get some humidity benefit as the tank is about half empty by morning. My Phillips machine does not quote the separate power consumption for the humidifier so I cannot calculate the extra consumption. Overall the power use is variable depending on the machine's pressure setting anyway.

Useful to know. The pressure setting, unless I'm mistaken, is set by the doctor/clinic and is something we don't alter. Though I always use the humidifier (that is to say, I always have been doing, at home; have not yet used the apparatus in the motor home), to be honest I'm not sure about the difference it makes.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Useful to know. The pressure setting, unless I'm mistaken, is set by the doctor/clinic and is something we don't alter. Though I always use the humidifier (that is to say, I always have been doing, at home; have not yet used the apparatus in the motor home), to be honest I'm not sure about the difference it makes.

Some machines have automatic pressure settings these vary the pressure according to need throughout your sleep cycle and work really well IMO. However if you have a fixed pressure model, if you know what that pressure is it will help you work out your power consumption as higher pressure means more power consumed.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

It is generally not too difficult to get into the clinical settings to see what pressure has been set, simultaneously pressing two specified buttons is fairly common. A bit of internet searching will probably reveal all.

Alternatively if your machine has a data card you can take that out and get heaps of information about your usage, pressures, apnoeas etc. I use a free bit of software called SleepyHead, available for Mac and Windows. I have two machines one at home and one I bought for the moho. I can combine the data from both machines using SleepyHead and keep an eye on how I am doing. Best to write protect the card whilst it is in a computer but don’t forget to make it writable again before putting it back in the CPAP.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back