Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Ive just bought a motorhome WITHOUT it. Am i mad ? I am 31, fit and healthy , at the moment. Just could'nt afford a newer machine. My budget was £10,000. Newer motorhomes with simular spec and space were £15,000 minimum. I think i had a goodish deal but it just keeps bugging me.

Do some of you drive without PAS too ? whats your views ?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Ive just bought a motorhome WITHOUT it. Am i mad ? I am 31, fit and healthy , at the moment. Just could'nt afford a newer machine. My budget was £10,000. Newer motorhomes with simular spec and space were £15,000 minimum. I think i had a goodish deal but it just keeps bugging me.

I had a Bedford cf without Power steering.

Where I really felt was in maneuvering it into a parking space etc.
As long as the wheels were turning it was ok.It was a 35 cwt and you knew it when going very slowly.

On a run though it was a delight to drive.

I now own a 1978 RV that is somewhat heavier than that but it has got power steering.A little light for my liking but worth having for a vehicle of that size.

Upvote 0

BGD

Banned
Aug 20, 2007
Costa Blanca, Spain.
Funster No
When we bought our current (our 1st) motorhome, 2nd hand (1992 Eura Mobil 4 berth, on Peugeot J5 van base) with 2.5 litre non-turbo engine, the previous owner had tyaken off the power steering pulleywheel, and then had lost it!!

So for the 1st 2 months I drove it around without PAS.
Once moving along, it was fine. On the open road, there's really no discernavle difference.
But frankly a total pain in the arse when trying to manouvre at very slow speed (ie 1st gear stuff), like car parks, coming out of side junctions etc, when you had to REALLY haul on the wheel to get the road wheels to move. It was hard work going around roundabouts too. I used to get backache after a run in it if it had involved a lot of town driving.

After about two months of searching in vain for a 2nd hand pulley, I finally bit the bullet and paid the thieving financial rapists at Peugeot for a new one - nearly £300 for the damn thing.
However, now I have PAS the van is a joy to drive - I love it.

I guess my conclusion is, if you've not got it, don't worry.
Enjoy the van you've got. Drive it in straight lines and if you feel so moved, have aprivate little giggle at those who've paid 10 or more times more than you have for thier box on wheels.

But once you've had a motorhome with PAS, I honestly bet you'll not want to go back to one without it.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Ours doesn't have power steering either.
But my reasonably delicate wife, 25 and rather pregnant, manages perfectly well driving it, so anyone could! :Smile:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
When we bought our current (our 1st) motorhome, 2nd hand (1992 Eura Mobil 4 berth, on Peugeot J5 van base) with 2.5 litre non-turbo engine, the previous owner had tyaken off the power steering pulleywheel, and then had lost it!!

Hi Mark
This is not to be confused with non powered steering systems, inoperable power steering is a whole lot different from steering systems designed to work without it, I wouldn't be concerned about not having it ... and your not mad .. :winky:

Upvote 0

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp

:Cool: As I mentioned on your other thread. I have two Motorhomes. The Big RV has power steering. The Mini RV does not. The only time it is a problem with no power steering is when manouvering in small spaces. BTW. I'm nearly 64. Not fit and hardly healthy. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back