williamb

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Just wondering is it possible to keep off the toll roads like in France and are they clearly sign posted. Going to make a trip to Portugal but do not like going on the toll roads at all.:cry:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No need for toll roads in the algarve, hardly anyone uses them.
Don't say I said so but if you do get on it with a British reg car don't stop at the pay booths and unless it's changed this year you will hear no more about it

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
We went down the whole length of Portugal last summer,and stayed off the toll roads,the main trunk road down through the country was in a terrible condition and very busy,the toll roads we saw were empty,as all the traffic seemed to be avoiding them especially the HGV's.We discovered afterwards from the campsite we stayed at where there was some Brits permanately based,that could have used the toll roads and not paid,as they cant or don't bother to trace uK registered vehicles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We went down the whole length of Portugal last summer,and stayed off the toll roads,the main trunk road down through the country was in a terrible condition and very busy,the toll roads we saw were empty,as all the traffic seemed to be avoiding them especially the HGV's.We discovered afterwards from the campsite we stayed at where there was some Brits permanately based,that could have used the toll roads and not paid,as they cant or don't bother to trace uK registered vehicles.

This may still be the case but get pulled up without a receipt and they will hit you with 10 fold the toll charge------you pays your money and takes your choice

Deleted User
It is not now possible to retrospectively pay the electronic tolls. If you use the Autoroute and are stopped you will be liable for an instant fine.

There are a few different methods of prepayment outlined here http://www.portugaltolls.pt/en/web/portal-de-portagens/home

along with detailed pricing information.

" Can foreign-registered vehicles use the post-payment system (payment after using the motorway)?
No."

"If drivers of foreign-registered vehicles do not pay a toll do they have to pay a fine?
Non-payment of a toll is a finable offence for local and foreign road users alike. The fine is 10 times the toll, with a minimum of 25 euros. The concessionaires will also check foreign-registered vehicles, which must have a transponder or an equivalent ticket or receipt."

Two axle motorhomes are class 2, 3 axles class3

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Dutchman knicked

No need for toll roads in the algarve, hardly anyone uses them.
Don't say I said so but if you do get on it with a British reg car don't stop at the pay booths and unless it's changed this year you will hear no more about it

Today I was present when a very irate Dutchman was issued with a ticket by Portuguese police. :Sad:

We came into Portugal yesterday from Spain and as soon as we came over the bridge a sign directed 'Foreigners' to a separate lane. :Doh:I followed the directions and read the information boards. I was required to insert my plastic to link it to my registration number. The idea is that every time I drive on toll roads with overhead gantry cameras my account will be billed automatically. I don't like that idea, I feel vulnerable. :Angry: The sign said that I would not be charged if I did not use the electronic toll roads and that if I left at the first or second exit there would be no charge anyway. I was tempted to reverse out of that lane and bypass the whole thing.

Two Spanish registered cars stopped, the drivers read the notice, got back into their cars and drove off over the curb, through the car-park and back out onto the motorway without being scanned.

I grudgingly put my card in the slot, took the receipt and drove through. It was then that Cathryn read the ticket and found that I had already been charged a 6 euros set-up fee. Bugger. :shout:

We took the first exit and stayed overnight on the car-park next to the free aire at Castro Marin. Within half an hour it had started to rain. By the time I got to Cafe Serafim the jeans were soaked below the knees and I was well cold. I was fed up :Angry: but when the bill for two coffees, two white wines and two red wines came to less than 5 euros I started to feel better. :thumb:

This morning Police came onto the car-park and started to look at registration numbers. :Sad: Within 15 minutes all but three vans had left. I had a vested interest in staying put though (wine at 70 cents a glass) ::bigsmile: so throwing caution to the wind I approached a Policeman to ask if we had to move out. He was very polite and spoke decent English. He asked me to wait while his colleague finished dealing with the Dutchman. When done, the Dutchman was left holding a paper and looked glum. :Sad: The policeman now spoke with me and explained that I could stay put as long as I was parking and not camping. He also explained that they had given the Dutchman a ticket for 150 euros because the camera on the motorway had told them to do it. He then said that he and his colleague did not speak Dutch and the Dutchman did not speak English so asked if I could explain to him. I only said 'autobahn, camera' and the Dutchman just about exploded. :Eeek: He then said 'no' quite a lot and tried to get the police to take back the ticket (no success there mate).

The sun is out again and I am back in Cafe Serafim with excellent fast WIFI and things are definitely looking up. On Saturday there is to be a bit of a do in this bar at less than normal cost. I may stay a bit longer than originally intended and put my name down. :thumb::thumb: Regardless of what I decide tomorrow I am just about to start another glass of wine. :thumb:

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
We are at tbe toll booths now. Everyone we see look lost and wandering about. Chris has gone into the police station to try and get some sense out of them.

Two options given. Drive throu and turn off first exit . No charge.

Stick plastic in as a just incase we hit any toll roads and bite the bullet. Have taken photo from board to show all toll roads and costs.

English motorhome has turned in and drove on after a long wait. Without going throu toll.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Rofl. I just burst out laughing at the Dutch man exploding.. Thats just great and makes me feel so much better after being bogged down in dutchness last year in Italy.. Love em

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
We are at tbe toll booths now. Everyone we see look lost and wandering about. Chris has gone into the police station to try and get some sense out of them.

Stick plastic in as a just incase we hit any toll roads and bite the bullet. Have taken photo from board to show all toll roads and costs.

English motorhome has turned in and drove on after a long wait. Without going throu toll.

Any chance of email of photo. Muggins forgot to do that.___:Doh:mad:

Cheers
/::

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
travelled down to porto 2 years ago no toll roads.but plenty of noisy dutch.and I thought the germans where noisy.:ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
travelled down to porto 2 years ago no toll roads.but plenty of noisy dutch.and I thought the germans where noisy.:ROFLMAO:

2 years is a long time in the world of electronic tolls...

Remember folks... there are two types of toll roads in Portugal... The old fashioned ones with tickets and booths (eg A1 Porto to Lisbon) and the dastardly, (relatively) recently erected electronic ones with cameras with the blue toll signs pre-warning you.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Deleted User

The system seemed quite simple to me, stop at barrier, stick card in machine, get receipt, but here is a link I posted earlier in this thread

http://www.portugaltolls.pt/en/web/p...portagens/home

By the way the initial cost is €0.60 (60 cents) + VAT not €6, unless things have changed since last December. I have not been charged at all via this system since registering and used the A22 to Silves and back in the month long period that this system allows.

I am still in Portugal and have registered online, topped up online and been charged so that part of the system seems to work but as long as you have the ticket from the machine you are covered for a month.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We left Albufera a month ago on the motorway cameras above but no tollbooths didn't pay or register anywhere up to now no bill sent to our address our daughter checks the mail for us we have been in Spain now about 5 weeks Pete

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Why when you are a guest in such a beautiful friendly country would you want to try to cheat the system. It is just so simple if you cross from Spain in to Portugal, just read the flipping instructions and you get your number read and charged on your credit card each time you pass the overhead cameras. You will have a receipt that covers you for a month and if you get pulled with no receipt it is an automatic fine allegedly 10 fold the toll charge and jolly well serves you right

My only confusion was what to do after a month but did not have to enquire as we came out of Portugal on the ordinary trunk roads.

Play the white man or set your sat. nav. to avoid the toll roads or pay for the pleasure of using the brilliant quiet, fuel efficient toll roads

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We should be in Portugal in the next couple of weeks, just waiting on the weather. :winky: :ROFLMAO:
We never had a problem last year with tolls, they seemed very well signed post, and easy to avoid if you wished not to use them. :Smile: Bob.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
We came through, followed the instructions, put in our card and got a receipt
Great road cut an hour off our journey time according to my sat nav
If you wana play you gotta pay

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
The Portuguese toll road systems are a joke. In March 2013 I bought a scratchcard from the post office, which is one of the methods of paying for the electronic tolls. However after numerous sent texts to try and activate it, which all failed, I just drove on and activated it the next time I had internet access on the website. I emailed them with a photo of all my text attempts on my phone in case they tried to fine me, I finally received a reply SIX WEEKS AGO referring me to their website! I checked my account anyway at the time and the tolls had come off.
This year I used the border crossing method discussed in the previous posts using my credit card at the Algarve crossing point. This was the end of October, to date my card has still not been charged.
After speaking to several motorhomers in Portugal it is a common belief that the electronic tolls cannot read the British numberplates, even though it is on the printed receipt from the border crossing machine.
Just make sure you hold on to the receipt and any other evidence that you have!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It is my belief that the (non Portuguese) company that equips and runs the electronic toll roads have slipped up badly and are not pulling in as much money as they thought they would...

I have always said that with foreign plates you would be unlucky to be tracked down...

I have Portuguese plates... I have to pay... but I don't use the wretched things.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It is my belief that the (non Portuguese) company that equips and runs the electronic toll roads have slipped up badly and are not pulling in as much money as they thought they would...

I have always said that with foreign plates you would be unlucky to be tracked down...

I have Portuguese plates... I have to pay... but I don't use the wretched things.

Jj I respect your post as you live there and know first hand, but just like to add , I have a friend who lives in estoi , been there 10 years now but always runs cars with English plates, don't know how he does it but that's another story, well anyway he has used the motorways since opening and has never paid or been fined, admitted , as you he doesn't use them very much as I believe do most Portuguese either but as for respecting the Portuguese ways it's not really on when they don't pay themselves by not going on them

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
This is the info which is on the Toll Booth services. We have put a larger copy in our Albums.

Click on our user name and look in our albums..

Attachments

• P1070223a.JPG
    P1070223a.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 39
  • P1070224a.JPG
    P1070224a.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 39
  • P1070225a.jpg
    P1070225a.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
The system seemed quite simple to me, stop at barrier, stick card in machine, get receipt, but here is a link I posted earlier in this thread

By the way the initial cost is €0.60 (60 cents) + VAT not €6, unless things have changed since last December. I have not been charged at all via this system since registering and used the A22 to Silves and back in the month long period that this system allows.

I am still in Portugal and have registered online, topped up online and been charged so that part of the system seems to work but as long as you have the ticket from the machine you are covered for a month.

Yes you are right with all of that. I have calmed down now and read the receipt for myself. 60 cents not 6 euros.:thumb:

Back in Serafim on the tomato.:thumb:

andley

Banned
Dec 27, 2011
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Static
Exp
Campsite owner
Free car

Here on chickenrun campsite once you get to the Algarve, if you have paid for tolls we will lend you a car free to do your shopping, hope that makes up for it.:thumb:::bigsmile:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Why when you are a guest in such a beautiful friendly country would you want to try to cheat the system. It is just so simple if you cross from Spain in to Portugal, just read the flipping instructions and you get your number read and charged on your credit card each time you pass the overhead cameras. You will have a receipt that covers you for a month and if you get pulled with no receipt it is an automatic fine allegedly 10 fold the toll charge and jolly well serves you right

My only confusion was what to do after a month but did not have to enquire as we came out of Portugal on the ordinary trunk roads.

Play the white man or set your sat. nav. to avoid the toll roads or pay for the pleasure of using the brilliant quiet, fuel efficient toll roads

I don't mind paying for tolls on motorways I have done many times in France and Spain BUT in my original post I did state I never passed through a toll booth in Portugal so had no way of paying my dues I used the motorway from albufeira to Spain and no toll booths were on that stretch. Yes there was cameras but no where to pay .

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We travelled to Portugal last Autumn and travelled along the Algarve a fair bit.

I can't remember how much the tolls were but I don't remember them being expensive. :thumb::thumb:

We did go along the N125 and found it a bit of a "cart track", bumpy, broken tarmac, lots of corners and just once closed in a town centre requiring quite a painfull reverse.

I would not overly worry about using them again. France of course is another matter. :Eeek::Eeek:

Deleted User
I don't mind paying for tolls on motorways I have done many times in France and Spain BUT in my original post I did state I never passed through a toll booth in Portugal so had no way of paying my dues I used the motorway from albufeira to Spain and no toll booths were on that stretch. Yes there was cameras but no where to pay .

No toll booths on the A22, it is paid for in advance by one of the methods outlined in this:

If you entered Portugal via the A22 there are large signs pointing to the electronic registration points.

There have also been numerous posts on this forum outlining the process.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Here on chickenrun campsite once you get to the Algarve, if you have paid for tolls we will lend you a car free to do your shopping, hope that makes up for it.:thumb:::bigsmile:

Andy, are you referring to the Ferrari. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
No toll booths on the A22, it is paid for in advance by one of the methods outlined in this:

If you entered Portugal via the A22 there are large signs pointing to the electronic registration points.

There have also been numerous posts on this forum outlining the process.

Hi that might be so but we didn't 't come in that way we came down from Salamanca we left by the a22 without seeing any signs re toll charges and didn't know about post office payment or registering cards because we never came across any toll booths . We saw the cameras but that was when we on the road with no tollbooth to pay ?

andley

Banned
Dec 27, 2011
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Static
Exp
Campsite owner
Ferrari

Yes.... it even roars like a Ferrari, with its own logo on the side