Rally Chat Potential 'Music & Mechanicals' meet July 2016 - South Lincs (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Would yo put our names down please as I do like to dance!!
Better pray for fine weather then, because dancing will be mostly outside on the grass!

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
The museum is now closed for the winter & they haven't published any 2016 dates yet. So it may be that the original plan to open booking at the end of February may need to be delayed for a week or two. So in answer to your question, I don't quite know yet.

My plan is to put a warning pre-booking post on here with the date that booking will open. I will endeavour to tag everyone who has expressed an interest.

Have you got any closer to knowing when you will be ready to send out the warning post? :nod::nod:

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Have you got any closer to knowing when you will be ready to send out the warning post? :nod::nod:
They opened again last weekend, but we were under a grandchildren invasion. :)

So we are going down there this weekend to sort out the details. I should then know how many units we can get onto the site & a few other details. Once that is settled, I'll post again with the booking details & timetable. So hopefully within a week. :cautious:

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
Cheers :smiley: Can't wait to visit this site (if we manage to get onto the rally!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Right folks - it's time to keep a close eye on this thread again. If you haven't yet clicked the 'Watch' button at the top of the page, now would be a good time - assuming you are still interested in attending, of course.

I had a very good meeting with the site owners at the weekend. The really great news, in view of the numbers expressing an interest, is that we have got the number of places up from 25 to 50. Now this is going to demand some sacrifices & a bit of self-discipline. This is a small site, with a rally field attached. There are two gents toilets & one gents shower, the same in the ladies, plus a toilet equipped for the disabled. These facilities are shared with the museum & its cafe. So you can't treat it like caravanners on a CC site! :rolleyes: Please use your own facilities as much as possible.

The site has septic tank drainage & isn't sized for 50 vans, so please arrive with your loo empty & be prepared to leave with it partly full, especially if you are going home or somewhere where you know you can empty easily. If you must use chemicals & plan to empty on site, then these must be the ones approved for septic tank use. The funsters' favourite of bio washing powder is fine.

There are two water taps, but only one is easy to get a van to, so it would be sensible to arrive with at least some water, but full if possible.

The other sacrifice is that most vans will not be able to put up awnings. Work on the assumption that you can't & that if you are one of the lucky ones, that your awning will host the party! :) The good news is that the site will provide a marquee for the main gatherings & the music sessions.

I've got to go out now & I'm already late, but I thought that I would post this to let you know that it's all happening. More details about the weekend & then the booking information will follow over the next few days, so keep watching.

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Some more info about the weekend that you need to have absorbed before booking.

Firstly, if you haven’t already, please read the post above this one which tells you about the site.

Secondly, a reminder as to what this weekend is about. The primary purpose is an opportunity for those who play acoustic instruments to play together in a relaxed music session. For those who aren’t used to sessions, this isn’t about individual performances, it is about playing together. Someone starts a tune, but everybody joins in – at least they do if they know it (& quite often even if they don’t!). The same with a song. One thing you learn very quickly is to listen to each other – if you can’t hear the person who started the tune, or what the singer is singing, then you are probably playing too loudly! There is more info on this in the very first post on this thread, so probably worth going back & re-reading that. See also this post and the one immediately above it for more info.

The main session will be on the Saturday afternoon/evening, when the theme will be very much traditional music. As set out in the first post in this thread, this will be a joint event with members of the ceilidh band that I call dances for & another similar band who are good friends of ours. There will be dancing on the grass outside the marquee, weather permitting. For the rest of the time, the music will be whatever the assembled funsters want to play, but still acoustic so that everyone can join in.

Because the weekend is about making music together & because we still may be over-subscribed even with the increased numbers on site, I am going to give precedence to those that intend to play instruments. Apart from anything else, there is not much point in having all audience & no musicians. So for the first two weeks after booking opens, all non-musicians will be on the reserve list. After two weeks, all non-playing reservists will be moved to the main list if there is room & any further musicians will just have to take their chances with everyone else.

I’m not planning on organising very much else. There should be bacon butties on Sunday morning (with veggie alternative) & there is the bubble car museum on site. The museum offer rides in a bubble car (at a price) & our very own bubble63 plans to attend with one of his own.

There is no pub or shop within easy walking distance, so come with all supplies needed, or be prepared to drive or cycle. The museum does make & sell its own cider though – Clover Farm cider at 7.4%, so cider drinkers needn’t fear running short, although they may fear falling over. :D

There is no WiFi. There is a good '3' 3G signal – with an external antenna you may even get 4G. Mine alternated between full strength 3G & 1 bar 4G. The Vodafone signal is just ok, but not brilliant.

When booking, you will be asked to provide the following information:

• Number of people
  • Length of unit (so we put you in the right place on site)
  • EHU required? Note – there are only 7 available & one of those will have to share with the marquee. If EHU is a medical requirement, please mention it. Cost is £4/night.
  • Registration number – required by campsite for insurance purposes (provide via Conversation if preferred)
  • Instrument(s) you intend to play, if any. Human voice counts if you can lead songs, but a tambourine does not count for this purpose (sorry!):(. That’s not to say that you can’t play a tambourine (in moderation!), just that it doesn’t get you preferential booking. To the undoubted annoyance of some, ukuleles do count! :cool:
  • Arrival day & number of nights. The meet runs from Friday to Monday (3 nights). If you plan to arrive before Friday, please let me know. It may be necessary for early arrivals to change pitch on the Friday.

The cost will be £10 per unit per night (without EHU). Unless there are unforeseen expenses, this should produce a small surplus which will be donated to the MS Society. As many of you will know, my OH is now almost entirely dependent on a wheelchair & other aids because of Multiple Sclerosis & anything we can do to prevent the next generation suffering the same problems has to be worthwhile. The MS Society both sponsors much needed research & helps current sufferers where needed.

I would open booking next weekend, but that coincides with Peterborough & not everyone has internet at shows. I am then away myself with work for a couple of days, so booking will open at 7pm, Wednesday 20th April.

PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO BOOK ON THIS THREAD.

I will start a new booking thread in the Scheduled Rallies section & post a link in here at the same time.

@Janine @SUGGY @makems @Teddyj @Debs @daveandsan @irnbru @Ambilkate @ludo @Busman @canopus @pat1951 @mick noe @Carol @toledo @Barclaybasher @Tom A @catspyjamas @weekenders @amentalcat @DuxDeluxe @SteveandDenise @triclops @DavidG58 @PenelopePitstop @the stig @JockandRita @archie2000 @laird of Dunstan @dabhand @Steve @Fantini @rupert @manda3000gt @beerdrinker1 @Redjumpa @vin0114 @treetops1 @peterc10 @Neilfg @runrig @Jaws @champers @hoot007 @Wildge @Teasy2007 @Graham and Jane @Eve @lowgill @megsdad @Simson @Peter & Elaine @Mr Ed @Teasy2007 @oldflemo @scammellmanswife @Viennese @Steve @Big E & Jan The Legend @retiringjoyce @Michelle CV @Scoot @Malcolm Bolt @Geordie and the Dragon @ciderman @meanders @Lofty1 @Jimbohorlicks @Daisie @GWG @petethemover @Spots @Bilbat @Sallysausage @joca @Deg3y @Squeegee @abforfun @ukbill @edgy @Dickie @APACHE 1988 @driving @lowgill @Popeye @abforfun @Minxy Girl

@themogs – I know you intend to be in France, but have included you in case plans have changed.

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the update Simon, we can't make it now unfortunately as I'm doing Rust2Rome...... Have a good one

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Sorry Simon, I'm sad to say I'm traveling North after Misterton so will not be able to attend now, best of luck though, it sounds a good meet to me.

Griff

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
please remove me,i aint listening to those noisy ukes ,wat a frigging racket,have fun all :whistle:

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
please remove me,i aint listening to those noisy ukes ,wat a frigging racket,have fun all :whistle:
You won't know if there are any until booking starts! :)

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since I can only rattle a tambourine, you'd better knock us of the list please.
I very much doubt we will get 50 players of other instruments, so get booked early & I'm sure you will be in - & can then come & play the tambourine. (y) I just need to make sure we don't have 50 tambourine players & no-one to play the tune!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Can you take us off too please:cry: think we will be going from Mo's Bagwell 'do' to Yeovil Air Show which is the same weekend.
Cheers

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Sorry, but not for us, don't even know if we will be allowed to attend. Please delete us from the list we will make alternative arrangements.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i wont be in uk anyway so i wont hear em lol

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Can you take me off too please:cry: i will be going from Mo's Bagwell 'do' then to Vanbitz for a new alarm system.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sadly it now looks like we MIGHT be in Ireland when this is on..
As soon as I know one way or tother I will let you know..

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Geeze you are certainly tempted me @TheCaller , giving this serious consideration. Sounds right up my street.

I dont/cant normally do 2 wks away but we are down in Yorkshire the following week @Ambilkate meet. I wonder if I can swing it...Will definitely try and get back to you. :)

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
Can you take us of the list please we are double booked

Thanks. Dave

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Geeze you are certainly tempted me @TheCaller , giving this serious consideration. Sounds right up my street.
It's been a while since I successfully tempted a young lady, so you would be doubly welcome. :D:D

In all seriousness, yes, I think you would enjoy it. An English slant on Celtic music on the Saturday - although our fiddle player spent quite a bit of time in Ireland & then lived in the Western Highlands of Scotland for three years.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Sorry, please take me off the list, We are unable to make this event.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sorry we will not be able to make it, hope you have a wonderful meet. (y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As per the first post in this thread, Fri 1st to Mon 4th July. :)
Sorry Simon, I was searching thread titles for the dates.

Please remove us from the interested list, as it's unlikely we'd make the first 20 - 25 places, what with us not being musically talented, etc, etc, and making the next 20 - 25 places will be very much hit or miss for us, as we will be on our travels when the event finally goes up on the Rally page.
Nevertheless, we do appreciate music and admire those who can create it.

Regards,

Jock.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry to say we will be in France, but I should have enjoyed this!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back