Potential MH newbie. (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2021
Linkƶping, Sverige
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello from Sweden. I live and work in Sweden fulltime and I'm looking to break my motorhome duck!

I'm a memeber of several FB groups and follow various Youtube channels but find it very hard to find good information on buying a used motorhome as my first.

I have up to a 30k budget (pounds) and will be buying here in Sweden as there's nothing to be gained since Brexit on importing a LHD from the UK now.

I'm looking to buy something this winter ready for spring/summer use next year. Having looked at a few I have decided that I want to go down the integrated route and have found these for sale fairly local to me. There will be two of us mainly plus two dogs but there should be the capacity to sleep four easily on occaision. The motorhome would also be intended to be used to travel to the UK so would need to be reasonably comfortable to drive on a motorway (noise level).

I'd be interested in hearing any plus's and negatives on the links below.

Burstner I 642

Burstner I 574

<Broken link removed>

Pilote G 692

/BR
Ron

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Noneā€¦ā€¦..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from The Cotswolds!(y)

You need to consider payload as well - very important - as too little will be a severe limitationā€¦ā€¦:(

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Hello and welcome!!

I can't give you any advice concerning the exact models in question, however our first van was a coachbuilt Burstner from a similar year so I will give you some advice from our ownership experience. Also, we live in Poland and have similar winter temperatures to you and can maybe give some pointers in that regard as well.

Burstner Specific

Burstners of that vintage are built like absolute tanks. They are rock solid in terms of their build quality and the quality of the interior fit and finish. However, they are getting on in eyars now so there are some places to look around and be particularly wary of. The walls on the shower can become fairly brittle. Not a problem in itself but check around the screw fastening holes to make sure the plastic isn't cracked in these areas. Similarly the sink can start to "craze" with micro-cracks.
On the 642 model, check VERY carefully around the bottom rear locker for ANY signs of damp. Also pay close attention to the seals around all of the lockers. If they are damaged of cracked, pay particular attention to those areas and try to get the seals changed as part of your purchase conditions.
Check both the hot and cold water pressure. I would be suprised if it is using the original pump and many people just pop in a cheap replacement. If the pressure is low then either budget on a high pressure replacement or again get the dealer to change it as part of the sale,
Check the condition of the wooden "roller" type doors - they look great (imo!) but can get damaged fairly easily. You will also probably find any old TV antenna sockets in that cupboard as well.
Get the heating and hot water fired up and check the boiler carefully for any signs of leakage. A piece of tissue paper is good for this.

General stuff

You want (ideally) a double floor design. I have no idea if these vans are or aren't (and I'm sure someone else will let us both know!). You want to have both your clean and dirty water tanks inside the heated space of the van. This will allow you to use the van during the colder months without worrying about if your tanks are going to freeze.

Hope that helps a bit and if i think of anything else I'll pop it here for you! Good luck!!

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun