POST OFFICE prepaid travel card??????????? (2 Viewers)

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
All the prepaid cards, Caxton, PO, Revolut etc., don't normally work in fuel stations and toll booths.

We have been using Revolut for the last 4 years. Last year we toured Germany, Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania and various places in between and it was never refused, either in fuel stations or toll booths. You do need to take note of which fuel stations/outlets accept Mastercard though.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Following my early return from Spain I have the following to add.
We have arrived back at Home now and I have been on to the PO card office . I was quite plainly talking to the young man on the end of the phone and he says, from his script that is quite plainly stated in the conditions. This card is not acceptable for all tolls and any pay at the pump filling station or any other manually entered filling station. I told him that their conditions do not apply as they were applied only after my money had been taken and accepted by them . BEFORE the conditions were sent by post to me along with the PIN number. I tried to contact them via the app that they have and it was LOCKED, owing to too many attempts. ( I had NEVER used it at all ) It had been locked and I will have to PAY to reopen it.
When I told him I wanted my money back as the service was mis sold . He told me, I CAN have my money refunded after ten days. BUT AT THE RATE of 1.29 Euros to the £. This means that as I had not used any I would have to stand a deduction of £42.40 .
I said that this was unacceptable and a fragrant mis-selling of the so called product. There is also a closing charge of £5.00 and a holding charge of £2.00 per month or part of a month.
I WISH TO TELL EVERYBODY THAT IS CONSIDERING THIS CARD, DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is a most unfair setup and there is also a charge for cashing any money on the card of 2 euro, per time. I also understand, but cannot verify as I do not have a copy to hand of the conditions that after a period of non use the account can be closed and the money in it held by them??????????????
It is run by First Rate Exchange Services Ltd and operate as a Mastercard with Irish Bank under the name of Post Office Travel Money.
BEWARE ALL you suckers out there waiting and willing to be duped like me. The small print is EXTREMELY SMALL and I need a magnifying glass to make it out.
It Ruined my holiday and I have also run up a load of extra payments on another card to pay for all the item this was meant to pay for, I also got a horrible embarrassment of refusals after I had filled up over a 110 euros a couple of time in garages and total rejection on the prepaid auto serve pumps. Every toll booth refused my card before I even got anything up on it, it went in and straight out again. I gave up using it and had to use another credit card which ran up to the credit limit hence I came home. for I have no way of topping up or varying it from Spain.
The company state it will not work on any indirect card accepting service although that service is part of Mastercard . The advert available in the Post Office Counters quite CLEARLY STATES, usable at all Mastercard logo sales outlets. All the paege machine fuel pumps and garages I went to showed Mastercard. Blatant lie in MY opinion
You have been warned now , I wish it was something I knew before I did it. A day trip to Calais and drawing the money is possibly the only way of maximising my loss.
I will try taking them to small claims court as mis-selling but that costs a fair bit now.
I have also put this item on another motorhome site, (not the dark side)

Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Following my early return from Spain I have the following to add.
We have arrived back at Home now and I have been on to the PO card office . I was quite plainly talking to the young man on the end of the phone and he says, from his script that is quite plainly stated in the conditions. This card is not acceptable for all tolls and any pay at the pump filling station or any other manually entered filling station. I told him that their conditions do not apply as they were applied only after my money had been taken and accepted by them . BEFORE the conditions were sent by post to me along with the PIN number. I tried to contact them via the app that they have and it was LOCKED, owing to too many attempts. ( I had NEVER used it at all ) It had been locked and I will have to PAY to reopen it.
When I told him I wanted my money back as the service was mis sold . He told me, I CAN have my money refunded after ten days. BUT AT THE RATE of 1.29 Euros to the £. This means that as I had not used any I would have to stand a deduction of £42.40 .
I said that this was unacceptable and a fragrant mis-selling of the so called product. There is also a closing charge of £5.00 and a holding charge of £2.00 per month or part of a month.
I WISH TO TELL EVERYBODY THAT IS CONSIDERING THIS CARD, DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is a most unfair setup and there is also a charge for cashing any money on the card of 2 euro, per time. I also understand, but cannot verify as I do not have a copy to hand of the conditions that after a period of non use the account can be closed and the money in it held by them??????????????
It is run by First Rate Exchange Services Ltd and operate as a Mastercard with Irish Bank under the name of Post Office Travel Money.
BEWARE ALL you suckers out there waiting and willing to be duped like me. The small print is EXTREMELY SMALL and I need a magnifying glass to make it out.
It Ruined my holiday and I have also run up a load of extra payments on another card to pay for all the item this was meant to pay for, I also got a horrible embarrassment of refusals after I had filled up over a 110 euros a couple of time in garages and total rejection on the prepaid auto serve pumps. Every toll booth refused my card before I even got anything up on it, it went in and straight out again. I gave up using it and had to use another credit card which ran up to the credit limit hence I came home. for I have no way of topping up or varying it from Spain.
The company state it will not work on any indirect card accepting service although that service is part of Mastercard . The advert available in the Post Office Counters quite CLEARLY STATES, usable at all Mastercard logo sales outlets. All the paege machine fuel pumps and garages I went to showed Mastercard. Blatant lie in MY opinion
You have been warned now , I wish it was something I knew before I did it. A day trip to Calais and drawing the money is possibly the only way of maximising my loss.
I will try taking them to small claims court as mis-selling but that costs a fair bit now.
I have also put this item on another motorhome site, (not the dark side)

That's disgraceful, how can you know what your signing up for if you don't get the T&T till after you've signed, good luck with your claim

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sorry to hear you have had another load of problems on your latest trip Graham.
I think most of us seasoned travellers carry several backup payment options just in case of problems. We also make sure we have access to several of our bank accounts in case of emergency.

Have to agree with you the PO card sounds like its not fit for purpose.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry you had a problem. It has always worked just fine for us.

The app being locked will probably be because you hadn’t set it up properly before you left home. Always best to check all is ok before you leave home.

I hope you manage to resolve this but you are probably best getting the card and app working and using it in cafes and supermarkets on your next trip rather than exchanging it back and losing £40

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Sorry you've had problems. I feel sure that the terms and conditions would have been available when you applied - I think its a legal requirement that you agree to them. Anyway, whatever the case, its too late now.

We use WeSwap and Halifax Clarity card. WeSwap offers fantastic rates for currency - it is a pre-paid card, Halifax is a credit card. Neither charge for transactions and cash withdrawals are free over £150 (I think that's the amount, its close anyway). We've never had any problems using either card at petrol stations, restaurants, tolls, etc, etc. We've used both cards in France, Spain and Portugal.

Alex Black

Free Member
Dec 20, 2016
Fife scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built. Knaus.
Exp
Scince 2010
Then you need the weswap card which has worked flawlessly for us in several countries on tolls and petrol

Second call for the weswap card.. And the exchange rate is the best going too.. And never a hitch so far.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Sorry you had a problem. It has always worked just fine for us.

The app being locked will probably be because you hadn’t set it up properly before you left home. Always best to check all is ok before you leave home.

I hope you manage to resolve this but you are probably best getting the card and app working and using it in cafes and supermarkets on your next trip rather than exchanging it back and losing £40
£500 is rather a lot to spend on a supermarket trip I got it for fuel payment at automatic pumps when my credit card was firstly refused then after I paid cash was coming up on my account,and I paid twice for it.
I doubt if I will be going over there many times again. UK has many attractions easier to get to and not three or four days driving.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Used a Caxton fx card for over 6 years in Spain and France along with a Halifax Clarity credit card. Halifax card for tolls and unmanned fuel stations, no problems ever and the Halifax card has no extra charges and is always a good exchange rate, Caxton for general shopping and manned fuel stations. Also now have a Revolut prepaid card as a back up to the Caxton card in case of loss or whatever. Revolut is always a better exchange rate when loading up but restricted to one cash withdrawal of 200 euro per month unlike the Caxton card. We are fortunate in that we can afford to load up the cards when rates are good. Works very well for us and the bonus of shopping using a pre loaded card in a supermarket over using cash and scrabbling for loose change is ace. But as in all things its whatever works for you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back