Possibly the most basic question ever asked on here? (1 Viewer)

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
Our N&B is on a 2012 Ducato 3.0 160hp. I’ve been taking it for a run at least each month if we haven’t been out in it. On Friday I thought it wasn’t going to start. The battery was fine but it was around zero degrees and the engine turned over very slowly before firing up. Is there a pre-heat function on the Ducato that means I need to turn the ignition key and then wait a few seconds before engaging the starter? On a previous diesel car there was a pre heat light that you had to wait until it went off before it was ready to start but I didn’t notice one in the van.

Either way, what can I do to protect myself from not being able to start it some cold morning when we’re away. We carry jump leads and I was wondering whether it’s worth splashing out in a booster pack (in which case I know I’d need one rated for the 3.0L engine)?

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I keep a booster pack just in case,try to remember to charge it occasionally.
The batteries are not so easy to get to in some vans.I successfully used it on a friends pick up with a 3 ltr motor,he kept saying that won’t do it,connected left for 30 seconds and burst into life,small enough to pack away but it sure packs a punch.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
When you say the battery was fine, are you sure ?
A cold engine has thick oil making it more difficult to turn over and I suspect the battery was struggling.
I think modern diesels are less relient on pre heating the glow plugs, but still need to do so, but might be worth a try to see if it makes any difference.
Firstly I'd check the battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We had similar issues. We ended up having to get a new battery even though the original was less than a year old.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chenderson1965

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
When you say the battery was fine, are you sure ?
A cold engine has thick oil making it more difficult to turn over and I suspect the battery was struggling.
I think modern diesels are less relient on pre heating the glow plugs, but still need to do so, but might be worth a try to see if it makes any difference.
Firstly I'd check the battery.
Yes. It was showing at 12.7v on the panel and 100% charge.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Lead acid battery performance is much reduced when the battery is cold and often the first sign of a failing battery. Voltage can be misleading if the problem is sulphation because the parts of the plates that are not affected will still charge up to the usual voltage but at a much reduced capacity.

This was explained to me by an AA Battery man attending my neighbours car in a pervious very cold spell. He said that battery maintainers often failed to charge modern batteries properly and that he favoured chargers with a desulphation phase. He compared a sulphated battery to a hot water tank that had scaled up badly, you would still get some hot water out of it but not a bath full.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
You should try to see what the voltage drops down to when it is trying to start the engine. I had one on a car which sat at 12.9v with no load but turning over the engine it dropped to 11v.
Replaced it and starting was fine.
How long a run are you giving it each month?

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That would probably be the habitation battery voltage not the vehicle battery - unless there is a separate display for the vehicle battery. But the resting voltage isn't a reliable guide to the condition of the battery. Its how it performs under load which matters.

There are really only two possible causes, either the battery is on the way out or it has had the wrong oil put in. Of the two a failing battery is the most likely.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Our 2010 does have a glow plug light but it goes out at the same time as the rest of them so Guess its just saying that the system is functioning.

You can help cold starting on a manual by putting your foot on the clutch, it means that the starter is having to turn the gearbox mainshaft in cold oil as well

IMO 6 years old is not an especially short time for a battery to be getting tired especially as you don't know for sure how the previous owner/s treated it, it may have been parked up for long periods Motorhomes frequently are.

Its less likely to fail while you are using it.

Did you get to Polch?

Jon

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
On a previous diesel car there was a pre heat light that you had to wait until it went off before it was ready to start but I didn’t notice one in the van.
Are you sure it’s not there....? A coiled wire symbol that comes on on first turn of the key.....
?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chenderson1965

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
You should try to see what the voltage drops down to when it is trying to start the engine. I had one on a car which sat at 12.9v with no load but turning over the engine it dropped to 11v.
Replaced it and starting was fine.
How long a run are you giving it each month?
There was only me so I couldn't watch the voltage indicator at the same time as starting it. I'm taking it for a run of at least 20 mins, until its fully warmed up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chenderson1965

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
That would probably be the habitation battery voltage not the vehicle battery - unless there is a separate display for the vehicle battery. But the resting voltage isn't a reliable guide to the condition of the battery. Its how it performs under load which matters.

There are really only two possible causes, either the battery is on the way out or it has had the wrong oil put in. Of the two a failing battery is the most likely.
Definitely the vehicle battery. Ours shows hab battery and vehicle battery at the same time.

It's in having some work done at the moment so I've asked them to check that both battery and glow plugs are in good condition and working properly.

• Thanks
Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
OP
OP
chenderson1965

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
I would consider a 20 minute run to be inadequate to replace the "charge" lost from starting up let alone standing for a week or more.
Thanks. My research suggested 5-10 mins is enough to replace start up charge so I doubled the longest estimate. In practice it's been a bit more than that even.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I am with joka250 on this - I have always thought it needs quite a long run to replenish the battery.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If in doubt just change the battery (y) Especially being a "new to you" vehicle, you will have no history on how the battery has been used / abused.
As said above voltage may well show as good, until you hit the start button. If you wanted to find out then the battery is between the 2 front seats. Take off the hatch and connect a multimeter, you should be able to view that as you turn it over..

My Burstner is very similar to yours, 2012 3ltr auto. I have not seen any glow plug symbol light up as yet but had that all the time on my 2012 Autotrail. However as yet starts first time, no EHU but does have solar.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A lot of modern diesel engines don't have a glowplug light on the dash. The glowplugs on some models are turned on when the vehicle is unlocked or perhaps when the ignition key is inserted.

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We have a 12 month old 2.3 ducato and that has a glowplug light. What has changed over the years is the speed at which the plugs warm up and the light goes out, now very quick when in the past it was quite slow.
I agree with others that a much longer run is needed to keep the batteries charged, frankly at 30 mins I wouldn't bother. If the only purpose is the battery, better to plug into mains.
However I also do take ours out for a run every month or so if not in use, but much longer than 30 mins. The purpose is not just the battery, its to keep everything else in working order, especially the brakes which can build up surface rust.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I would consider a 20 minute run to be inadequate to replace the "charge" lost from starting up let alone standing for a week or more.
I read (I forget where) that it takes at least 7 miles driving to replace the charge required to start the engine. So 20 minutes is unlikely to be enough. As has been said by joka250 above.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I wouldn't bother with a boost pack. You can lumber yourself with too much clobber "just in case". If you have solar, a battery master (or similar) trickle charger should keep the starter topped up but it's more likely that the starter battery is coming to end of life.
If you have Alde heating, you may also have a pre-heat option with it that would allow you to warm up the engine block before you start.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I have a 2008 2.3 Ducato.
The glow plug lamp on the dash usually goes out say 2 secs after truning the ignition on.
In the cold weather now (around freezing) it will preheat for about 5 or 6 secs.
I suspect if you only see a brief period in cold weather you may have a problem with your glowpugs or their control system.

Mine was reluctant to start (It did but after say 8 secs of cranking.)
Now I 'glow' it 3 times and then start. This seems to work very well with instant firing up.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back