Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
You can get the owner details changed but you have to pay and have it done by the chip company , we had our terriers chip data changed when we got him but we already knew him from a pup and took him on from our neighbour due to them going to New Zealand To live.😊
U
I don’t think you can change the chip number it’s self, you can change the details, as in the owners details, including phone number of the chip. So if you sell dog, or move. But if you could change the chip number it’s self it would make the entire chip process pointless.
Unfortunately it is possible see https://www.uidevices.com/product/chip-provisioning-station/

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
most probably stolen in another area. Sorry, but knowing what I know, I would never ever advise "BUYING" a dog being advertised on gumtree or facebook. There are thousands of dogs in rescue around the country, with most in foster care due to the pandemic. But there will soon be thousands more as people lose jobs and homes. The rescues will take them in and give them all the correct checks, then offer them for re-homing asking only a donation

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
to re-program a microchip implanted in a dog, you would first need to cut it out of the dog's flesh

I am a licenced implanter by the way
If you check the link it claims to have a device to reprogram in situ. it is at the bottom of the page

*Microchips can also be programmed after implantation while in the animal using the UBS-200-L Microchip Reader Base Station.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Microchips were intended for honest people to find lost dogs they offer very little help if dishonest people get involved.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
How much :Eeek: :doh: £1000 for a mongrel used to be a time when you couldn't give them away, why would it be nicked , you have only got to see what it says on the chip.:unsure::unsure:

The price of pups as doubled during lockdown, my mate is looking for a working Cocker lowest price he can find in Devon is £2k. He's coming over here to East Anglia to look at a pup from a gamekeeper I had my last two working Spaniels from.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
most probably stolen in another area. Sorry, but knowing what I know, I would never ever advise "BUYING" a dog being advertised on gumtree or facebook. There are thousands of dogs in rescue around the country, with most in foster care due to the pandemic. But there will soon be thousands more as people lose jobs and homes. The rescues will take them in and give them all the correct checks, then offer them for re-homing asking only a donation
I have been trying to get a rescue dog for some time I don't want to give any money to the puppy trade, but we were advised by a re homing centre that after people have bought a dog and then got fed up with it they sell it to get some money back, so I would consider re homing such a dog, as long as it is not stolen and had all the paperwork. So far not many of the suitable dogs look to be legitimate

Jan 20, 2020
Great Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A770HS
Exp
I'm a newbie
Moral of the story: DON'T BUY DOGS FROM GUMTREE, FACEBOOK, EBAY OR ANY OTHER UNSANCTIONED OUTLET.
All you are doing is feeding a criminal, cruel and inhumane industry.
You have choices:
Dogs Trust
RSPCA
Local animal rescue
or registered breeder (if you absolutely can't rehome a dog)

This isn't rocket science. Take responsibility for your actions and think about your choices.

Last edited:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I guess that I was one of the lucky ones.

4 years ago, Buzz was advertised on Preloved one Sunday morning, 3 months after my beloved Cocker Spaniel, Alf, passed away.

The family selling him lived only 20 miles away so we hopped in the car and went to see him. They lived in a beautiful house in the country with lots of unfenced land. Unfortunately, next door was a free-range chicken farm where Buzz was a frequent visitor and he was responsible for the demise of several chickens. The family was forced to rehome him before the farmer took drastic action.

I paid £250 for him and brought him home with me.

FB_IMG_1561288073746.jpg

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
That’s a very expensive bit of kit I hardly think Pik-eyes are going to buy one.
Stolen dogs are big business, many are moved between here and Ireland. They caught a man with 40 puppies in a van. At £1,000 each I think they can afford a scanner

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I guess that I was one of the lucky ones.

4 years ago, Buzz was advertised on Preloved one Sunday morning, 3 months after my beloved Cocker Spaniel, Alf, passed away.

The family selling him lived only 20 miles away so we hopped in the car and went to see him. They lived in a beautiful house in the country with lots of unfenced land. Unfortunately, next door was a free-range chicken farm where Buzz was a frequent visitor and he was responsible for the demise of several chickens. The family was forced to rehome him before the farmer took drastic action.

I paid £250 for him and brought him home with me.

View attachment 419960
You were lucky because you did it the right way, seeing the dog with its owners and being able to judge for yourselves the relationship they had with it.

We too we’re lucky with our first family dog. Advertised as “free to a good home”; the result of ”unauthorised“ mating of a pedigree lab and a spaniel. We saw the puppies with their mother and could see that all were in a good condition and had been well looked after. That was over 40 years ago! These days they would probably be advertised as Spanadors and costed at a couple of thousand.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The problem, as I see it, is the second hand dog market has been taken over by crooks. I'm sure there are some genuine people on all the sites but from what I have seen they are the minority. It is all about the money.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Trade secret time, ask where they live and how old the dog is and if it is chipped etc, and by the way what are they called so you know who you are meeting! Puppies have to be sold with first injections and chips by law in UK, Then look via google ( other websites are available) as to vets in the area where the dog is advertised for sale. Then call the vets and explain to the receptionist that you are looking at buying a ***** from **** and not being familiar with the area , are they registered with you and are they genuine? The vets are subject to data protection but can answer legally yes or no if the puppies are on their books Point out you do not want to know any information about the *owner* . But I would go along with previous comments, get a rescue, if you have the time and patience they make fabulous pets if you don't have the time and patience don't bother getting one! Our last two have been great, hard work but by perseverance have been PAT dogs as all they needed was guidance and routine, not mixed messages about what is right and what is cute! Look at the avatar that's our latest, ( a German Wirehaired pointer) spent 10 months of her eating cigarette ends and chewing gum as *white van man * owner could not be bothered with her when he got a new partner! Left her in the van to eat chewing gum and ciggies! Now if you ever get to meet her she is so friendly and laid back and loves the attention. Some people do not realise the amount of time, attention and dedication a dog needs, I have a feeling in six months or less the dog shelters /rescue organizations will be desperate. In relation to your original post. no history no paper work no records NO CHANCE they are playing on puppy cuteness and gullibility!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The other problem is rescue centres are far too fussy about the rules who can rescue. It’s much easier to throw some money at it and just buy a puppy.
For instance the couple who live opposite me, home rescue dogs to assist for the rescue charity and asses the dog and their temperament, how they are with other dogs, cats etc. They have done this with many many dogs. Well into double figures for the charity. Then they take one and fall for it and want to keep it as theirs. So they have to be assessed. And then they fail, due to fences that are too low 3’. Madness

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If dogs are going for these sort of figures, why don't some of you get together and breed your own?
Keep the best ones for others on here and sell your others for the trouble.
That's we always used to do with farm dogs, someone had always got a pup they wanted to get rid of.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back