Possibly Peterborough Soggy wet muddy field (1 Viewer)

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I thought it would be a good idea to look to buy something to assist getting out of a field if it got muddy as we have a 4.5 ton tag axle and are going to Peterborough show and in the past years vans have needed to pulled out by tractors before.
Ours is quite low to the ground as well.
So after looking on the internet and only finding small lengths tracting /matting for £70 wondered have anyone got any good suggestions .
I have thought of buying scaffold boards and painting them with non slip paint or glueing slats across them .

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have thought of buying scaffold boards and painting them with non slip paint or glueing slats across them .

The planks alone will suffice.

If not, try wearing slippers when you’re driving off!

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
We were at the Antiques Fair at Peterborough on Friday. The ground was soggy, with lying surface water opposite the barns and a great deal of mud at the outside stalls alongside the arena. Doesn't bode well for the Motorhome Show in a couple of weeks!

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
If you want to carry a track, have a look at flexible linked porta path.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
80823b9d3d0ab6dd52ad4ef77994fc42--funny-emoticons-smileys.jpg

Oh how we miss Peterborough Show, such fond memories . :rofl: Bob.

Reactions: JJ
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Make sure you have your towing eye ready and it's fit for purpose.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yes it’s the ones over by the A1 who get very wet pitches

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
oh dear we will have to do the sun dance again, altogether now.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I do
Iike an optomistic view on Peterbough show.
Well now you have a tag, you will have to stay on the hardish bits or you will never get out of there, it seems to have been muddy every time I went to it.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well now you have a tag, you will have to stay on the hardish bits or you will never get out of there, it seems to have been muddy every time I went to it.
We’ve had tags since 2009 and been towed out twice once at Peterbough then again every one was towed out then once at Harrogate so been lucky up to now it will be our luck to get stuck ☹️☹️☹️

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
A possible reason the bit where fun park is never so wet might be it’s not been made up and levelled like around the speed way track. The mcc patch always comes off bad if it’s wet.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We have been towed off today from the Chester Rally - tried to be clever where we parked, put grip mats under the wheels when parked and then a little grip mat track to hard ground, tonnes of planning and discussions came to nought as we ground to a slippery stop. As has been said, just use the tractor driver and depending on how desperate you become slip him a note or 2. It was amazing how quick and easy they moved us(y). However goodness knows what we would of done if the tractor drivers had not been there but Chester was very well organised.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Scaffolding boards cost me £1000 of damage to my previous van.
One board snapped and dug into the ground as I drove off and destroyed the rear skirts. Freak accident but be warned.:cry:

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Scaffolding boards cost me £1000 of damage to my previous van.
One board snapped and dug into the ground as I drove off and destroyed the rear skirts. Freak accident but be warned.:cry:
Yes that was something that was in the back of my mind.
I will make sure i have the towing eye to hand just in case not take scaffold boards.
Well done to Jim as well

Deleted User
It’s a good idea to park so that you can be towed out frontwards. There is nowhere on our van (Rapido) to attach a tow rope at the rear without fouling the skirts.

Spongy

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
The funster pitch at Peterborough is the best area but it is also the furtherest from the entrance, so you just need to be patient getting in. It is not unknown for vans to be towed in onto the wet areas. Now if they were to open the gate at the top of the pitch or let you in the out gate....result.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The reason they use a long run in is to try and keep the main road clear. If it was a short run in and someone was blocking the road trying to get on their pitch it would soon back up out the gate so the long run in is used as a mobile parking.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It’s a good idea to park so that you can be towed out frontwards. There is nowhere on our van (Rapido) to attach a tow rope at the rear without fouling the skirts.

Spongy

We do have a tow bar on ours. But I find that 90% of the time parking up on some cut down bread crates helps the initial start and once rolling DON'T STOP, have your best straightest route planned and stick to it. All else fails, well their is usually someone with a decent OLD 4x4 or a tractor. A lot of the new generation 4WD`s are useless in MUD!. I watched a BMW slide all over the road in the recent snow, but the local farmers S2 landy sailed serenely past!.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have a tow rope on board to help the unfortunates of the world, and rear wheel drive. so once on the hard I can pull others off it. With 4X4 s they all seem to come with road tyres that have sipes running longitudally They are totally useless as there is NO grip on soft surfaces,ad bike would pull the biggest Motorhome off the muddy bits and not notice they are inch deep tractor type tyres, with 4 wheels and 56BHP. Mud is not a problem but slime is.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I personally wouldn't let anyone tow my Fiat as the towing eyes are really only designed for winching the vehicle on a nice smooth surface.
They are certainly not supposed to be used for off road recovery and we saw our friends front ripped off causing a lot of damage.
If you have a towbar always park so that can be used but if not I would stay away from grass at the moment ,the rally we went to over the weekend we were the heaviest so stayed on the track but everyone else was stuck and had to be towed off !

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I personally wouldn't let anyone tow my Fiat as the towing eyes are really only designed for winching the vehicle on a nice smooth surface.
They are certainly not supposed to be used for off road recovery and we saw our friends front ripped off causing a lot of damage.
If you have a towbar always park so that can be used but if not I would stay away from grass at the moment ,the rally we went to over the weekend we were the heaviest so stayed on the track but everyone else was stuck and had to be towed off !

Over the years I must have seen over 2000 Fiats towed off muddy fields, never seen a towing eye fail.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

After watching the ones towed off backwards at Chester I would tell the tractor driver - NO ! - don't use my towbar !

Tractor driver did a brilliant job, almost the highlight of the weekend, considering...........and I had to be towed on and off..............part of the 'Fun'.......not a problem............. don't worry

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Over the years I must have seen over 2000 Fiats towed off muddy fields, never seen a towing eye fail.
I still wouldn't let anyone tow mine by the towing eye as they aren't designed for it , So our friends must have been unlucky but I saw the damage, some bent this weekend while being towed , up to the owners but no one is towing mine .

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We have one of the best pitches at Peterborough. Not only is it the driest it has a very gentle incline and the way we park you up means you’ll not need a tractor you’ll just drive off. (y)
The elite get the preferential treatment :dance2:

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
After watching the ones towed off backwards at Chester I would tell the tractor driver - NO ! - don't use my towbar !

Tractor driver did a brilliant job, almost the highlight of the weekend, considering...........and I had to be towed on and off..............part of the 'Fun'.......not a problem............. don't worry
What was the problem with going out backwards?
I drove a friends Mercedes motorhome out backwards this weekend being towed .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back