Possible solar problem. (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We’ve been on a CL for 11 days and we have had no problems with battery power until 11th night when the TV starts flashing after 31/2 hours use (finlux 22” led and Humax freesat box) all lights are led and not used much. Checked voltage with meter and it’s 12.2 volts
My solar arrangement is 2x 100 watt panels and a LR1218 regulator wired through EBL99 and 2x 110 amp lead acid battery’s. ( I don’t see much more than 2 amps showing on the analogue gauge)
Just back from Aires hoping in France for 31/2 months with no problems.
So what’s the thoughts is it the battery’s suddenly gone down or would I be best changing to a better regulator, I do check voltage with a meter and have been getting over 13 volts showing but don’t know how many amps.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm fairly certain your batteries are flat/ish and need a really good charge in the hope of fully recovering them. What has been happening is the Solar Panels have not been providing sufficient power to maintain your batteries and your habitation services and over time they have been getting lower and lower to the point that there is insufficient capacity left to maintain your hab services. I bet the failure occurred after sunset when all your power would be coming from your batteries only. Get them on charge for at least 24 hrs then disconnect them and let them rest for a few hours, then check with a multi-meter. Just beware they could read 12.7 V and still be goosed due to lack of capacity, you will know if this is the case when you use them at night. Best of luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree with Garry probably one or both batteries had it. A LR1218 won't do flooded cells any favours as once up to 14.2v it just maintains that voltage it does not drop to a maintenance charge, OK on gels but will shorten the life of a flooded cell.
If you want to check current just pull the postive feed from the LR1218 to the EBL and connect your meter set to amps in series.

To test the batteries you need to separate them and get each one fully charged then test each one:-

Best way of testing a leisure battery is to fully charge it, let it rest for an hour then & check the voltage:-

1) Place a load on it of say 5 amps (can do this in the van by turning on lights etc.).
2) Leave it with the load for a time that equates to 25% of battery capacity (100A/H battery it would be 5 amps for 5 hours).
3) Turn the load off let the battery settle for ½-1 hour measure the voltage, the battery will now be @ 75% state of charge.
4) Repeat 3, battery will now be @ 50% state of charge.
6) Repeat 3, battery will now be @ 25% state of charge. - not recommended to take a wet cell (standard battery) below 50% too often.

upload_2018-8-27_10-9-32.png

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Agree with Garry probably one or both batteries had it. A LR1218 won't do flooded cells any favours as once up to 14.2v it just maintains that voltage it does not drop to a maintenance charge, OK on gels but will shorten the life of a flooded cell.
If you want to check current just pull the postive feed from the LR1218 to the EBL and connect your meter set to amps in series.

To test the batteries you need to separate them and get each one fully charged then test each one:-

Best way of testing a leisure battery is to fully charge it, let it rest for an hour then & check the voltage:-

1) Place a load on it of say 5 amps (can do this in the van by turning on lights etc.).
2) Leave it with the load for a time that equates to 25% of battery capacity (100A/H battery it would be 5 amps for 5 hours).
3) Turn the load off let the battery settle for ½-1 hour measure the voltage, the battery will now be @ 75% state of charge.
4) Repeat 3, battery will now be @ 50% state of charge.
6) Repeat 3, battery will now be @ 25% state of charge. - not recommended to take a wet cell (standard battery) below 50% too often.

View attachment 251264
Are you on the right thread with this response Lenny.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The batteries are 3 years old so should be ok.
I would have though a more relevant question would be how old are the batteries and how have they been used. One could easily destroy a new battery in 3 months if used incorrectly and I guess one could last for 10 years if always kept fully charged and only allowed to discharge a few percent. Just a thought, nothing more.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No they’re flooded lead acid ones.
I’m thinking maybe a Votronic 250 Dual mppt Regulator would be more efficient.
I changed to a Votronic MPP 350, works brillantly. I didn't bother using the starter battery output as it's only one amp, left my CBE split charge relay in circuit.
Have you thought about replaceing the batteries with Gel's? I fitted 3 Schonnenschine Gels.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well the batteries seemed to be going quick, down to 11.3 volts after watch 2 hours of tv.
As we we’re at old Mo’s Rally we went to Battery suppliers and they checked them, one ok and the other faulty so they replaced that one under warranty and I bought another, to keep a pair.
See how we go now, still got to fit the Votronic regulator.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well the batteries seemed to be going quick, down to 11.3 volts after watch 2 hours of tv.
As we we’re at old Mo’s Rally we went to Battery suppliers and they checked them, one ok and the other faulty so they replaced that one under warranty and I bought another, to keep a pair.
See how we go now, still got to fit the Votronic regulator.
I should have put down to 12.3 volts- dah

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
So where are you now? A few degrees further north? Where it isn't as sunny? And the sun is most definitely not overhead at noon now, so you've probably only getting half of what your solar setup could pull France in the summer.

A 22 inch TV and a receiver is probably going to pull quite a few amps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back