Possible newbie...big European tour (1 Viewer)

Mr John McDowall

Free Member
Aug 25, 2017
Funster No
Hi, just worked out the mortgage on the house has got a year to go and are turning my thoughts to getting the money together to buy a motorhome to do a big, disappear for two years style of tour round Europe. I like my pad in the UK, its in a nice town and ideally I would like to hang onto the house. I am fortunate in that I have mega flexible job that I can leave and come back to if necessary. I am thinking of renting the house out. Anyone done anything like this? What to watch out for? Many thanks in advance.

Reactions: DBK
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Have a read thru fulltimers section will give you a start on some of the things you need to consider that you probably havent yet thought of . What you are proposing is not at all uncommon , welcome BTW

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.

Re your question, we've not done it but renting out the house rather than selling it is a good plan. However, if I were to do it I would make sure that I had a good letting agent who does proper checks on prospective tenants and also makes regular inspections on the property once it is let. A 2-year sabbatical sounds great. Hope it all works out for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome to fun
:welcomesign:

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
:hiya::WelcomeFlag:great plan....renting is fine...some bad, some good tenants...can be a real hassle....if you can avoid renting do so much more relaxing not

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I decided to jump in... I sold my house and plan to full time in the van for the next 12-18 months whilst I tour Europe and then I'll decide whether to stay abroad and find work or return to the UK.
Didn't want the hassle of renting and figured once agent fees and mortgage etc came out of rent there wouldn't be much left over, and couldn't afford to pay the mortgage whilst not working and travelling.

Was just a house probably too big for me on my own anyway and think if I was returning to UK for work I'd likely try somewhere different anyway

Doesn't suit everyone but seemed best option for me

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mr John McDowall

Free Member
Aug 25, 2017
Funster No
I decided to jump in... I sold my house and plan to full time in the van for the next 12-18 months whilst I tour Europe and then I'll decide whether to stay abroad and find work or return to the UK.
Didn't want the hassle of renting and figured once agent fees and mortgage etc came out of rent there wouldn't be much left over, and couldn't afford to pay the mortgage whilst not working and travelling.

Was just a house probably too big for me on my own anyway and think if I was returning to UK for work I'd likely try somewhere different anyway

Doesn't suit everyone but seemed best option for me

Thanks for all the replies folks. I must admit that this was the 'other' option I was considering. I would have a substantial sum of cash behind me, and there is a chance I will find somewhere outside the Uk I would make my new home. I too have heard good and bad about renting, and of course I will not be in the country to deal with any issues. My parents are near but it would not be fair to rely on them as they are getting on for problem solving.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back