Possible New UK P&O Ferry Route (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Scotland To Scandinavia

Not sure if its been covered yet but some of you may find this interesting...

edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/p-o-willing-to-consider-new-ferry-routes-from-scotland-to-scandinavia-1-4653097

This area is big on our bucket list. To reopen the route would save a lot of time and make the trip more appealing without having to drive thousands of miles like you have to do now.

Lets hope it comes off (y)

Ralph

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks.

I would be interested in the future because we have a 'Grand tour' planned going from Poland-Denmark-Norway -Scotland- N.I. and on South.

Since the demise of Newcastle Bergen one has to go S. of Oslo to get the ferry to Immingham.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
I wish ...

It was a 1200 mile drive from home to our first stop in Denmark last spring. We would use it every year for certain.

Dave

Reactions: f6c
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Usual issue of supply and demand
Can't remember why the old Newcastle route stopped but if that was not profitable enough not sure Rothsyth would be a starter

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Usual issue of supply and demand
Can't remember why the old Newcastle route stopped but if that was not profitable enough not sure Rothsyth would be a starter
Was the route stopped because of Euro emissions ruling like the harwich to esberg ( Denmark ) route

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Until quite recently, there was a ferry from Rosyth (just north of Edinburgh, other side of the Firth of Forth) to Zeebrugge. It was well used by tourists, but ultimately failed because it didn't attract enough commercial traffic.
I would love to see a new service to Scandinavia, but I think it would be even harder to get the price right for hauliers.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Thanks.

I would be interested in the future because we have a 'Grand tour' planned going from Poland-Denmark-Norway -Scotland- N.I. and on South.

Since the demise of Newcastle Bergen one has to go S. of Oslo to get the ferry to Immingham.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, Thats what I call a grand tour. Hope it comes off for you one day (y)

Can you actually use the Immingham service ?? When i enquired they told me it was Freight only.

Ralph

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Yes Ralph it is freight only now, it has oft been discussed on the RHEG group, from the DFDS website:

Travel limitation for private passengers
DFDS freight port of Immingham can accept commercial freight drivers with their loads. Due to UKBF port approval private passengers are not permitted to be carried through Immingham, this means that we can no longer accept leisure fare paying passengers on the freight routes through Immingham. Leisure passengers should refer to our passenger ferries section on the website for details on our passenger services.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The Rosyth ferry to Zeebrugge still runs but is freight only, the tourist business folded due, I believe, to the extraordinarily high fares.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
The Rosyth ferry to Zeebrugge still runs but is freight only, the tourist business folded due, I believe, to the extraordinarily high fares.
Yup, I stand corrected. Except as I recall, the tourist fares compared quite well with P&O from Hull, taking into account the longer sailing distance and greater convenience for Scottish customers.
Whatever, would still love to see another route from Scotland to Europe.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I worked for a European ferry company when Rosyth started, we were asked to tender but refused. The route was started with a large subsidy and when that ended so did the tourist service. There is not the population concentration in the north to create enough demand, that's why Bergen failed, most of the traffic there was Norwegian, not UK.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Having read the article, I wouldn't hold out much hope. This isn't a ferry company saying they are giving the idea serious consideration. It's a politician making a political point & seeing an opportunity to do a bit of Brexit bashing along the way. P&O just made a polite reply to say they would be happy to talk about the idea.

The talks will then go like this:
Scottish Government Minister: Would you consider running a ferry service to Scandanavia?
P&O: Certainly Minister - are you prepared to subsidise it enough to make it profitable?
Minister: No
P&O: Ok, bye.

We would use it too - maybe once every two years. But there would need to be many many thousands of us to make it viable.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Having read the article, I wouldn't hold out much hope. This isn't a ferry company saying they are giving the idea serious consideration. It's a politician making a political point & seeing an opportunity to do a bit of Brexit bashing along the way. P&O just made a polite reply to say they would be happy to talk about the idea.

The talks will then go like this:
Scottish Government Minister: Would you consider running a ferry service to Scandanavia?
P&O: Certainly Minister - are you prepared to subsidise it enough to make it profitable?
Minister: No
P&O: Ok, bye.

We would use it too - maybe once every two years. But there would need to be many many thousands of us to make it viable.

My thoughts went along the same lines.

Till he brought up the idea P+O had probably not even done any market research or costing.

Geoff

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I am sure the Government in Scotland will be able to subsidise the ferry costs down to Road Equivalent Tariff.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
It won’t happen, sadly. I wish it would though. The best holiday we have ever had was when we took our caravan to Norway in 1987 on the Newcastle-Bergen ferry. Have wanted to repeat it ever since.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We used the route 4 times until its demise. We have wanted to do it again many times as have most of our family.

From Memory, Colorline served the Newcastle-Bergen route, DFDS served the Newcastle-Kristiansand (Norway) and Gothenburg (Sweden) Route.

Then DFDS took over the Colorline route, citing that they were unable to compete with DFDS. The Route became Newcastle-Bergen Route, Docking in at Stavanger and Haugesund en-route.

That lasted I think, around 2 years. Then DFDS dropped it. It was reported that they could not return a profit. This time due to low passenger numbers and low-cost airlines.

But, things have surely changed now?.

*No Harwich - Esbjerg Route
*Increased Tourists numbers
*Increased Airline Ticket costs.

ALSO!

Remember the P&O Portsmouth-Bilbao route on Pride of Bilbao?. P&O gave up the lease on the ship and said they could not return a profit. At the time, Brittany Ferries only ran their Spanish Santander services in the Summer.

Brittany Ferries now run three Passenger Vessels on the Spanish Routes to Both Bilbao and Santander. Two of them all-year, weather permitting.

So who knows?

I am no expert........

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Scotland To Scandinavia

Not sure if its been covered yet but some of you may find this interesting...

edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/p-o-willing-to-consider-new-ferry-routes-from-scotland-to-scandinavia-1-4653097

This area is big on our bucket list. To reopen the route would save a lot of time and make the trip more appealing without having to drive thousands of miles like you have to do now.

Lets hope it comes off (y)

Ralph

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....routes-from-scotland-to-scandinavia-1-4653097

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back