Possible new (to me) Autotrail (1 Viewer)

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
We've seen this a few months ago and quite like although it's possibly overpriced; spent an hour or so at Elite looking at all options, nice bunch. We like the island bed idea although SWMBO quite likes rear singles... What do folks think of this particular marque, model and why apart from price might it still be for sale?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We have the island bed but my Mrs would also prefer 2 single beds as they are easier to make up over the island bed.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Theres one for sale at Uber leisure in essex. Its manual though but a lot cheaper...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Layout looks similar to ours, we much prefer the island bed and it was one of the reasons we bought ours.
if I were you, I would spend a bit of time researching Autotrail motorhomes, there have been a few problems with damp and water leaks on newish vans.
It also seems a bit expensive for a 4 year old van to me.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We bought our first motorhome from Elite - an Autotrail Tracker.

We found them good to deal with. I would be happy to buy from them again. (y) (y)

Autotrails have lately been getting a history of shoddy build faults and leaks.

Make sure you check it out thoroughly.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What do folks think of this particular marque, model a
Terrible reputation for damp and poor build quality, I would never buy a British built van,

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I see from your avatar that you are new to this forum, if you are new to the whole world of motorhoming l would suggest that you spend a lot of time looking around before you actually buy anything.
My first van was an Autotrail and not brilliantly put together but four vans later l realize that most of them are similar.
Spend time looking on Autotrader Motorhomes before spending money.
Take your time and enjoy the search.
Norman.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
There are a number of us who have had one or two from the Autotrail group. So, like ours , it was damp from an early age .That said, It does get rectified .
There are others who have had no problems with their motorhomes so realistically, you just need to be careful and have someone with you to check everything for you. Damp meter is a must and paperwork for its history is Important. If the truck has missed a service it will not be warranted by Autotrail.
Hopefully it will be fine should you go for it. Elite are quite a decent company so you will have their backing with that one. I believe the Uber one is an earlier one ? Even though it has the blue/grey cab, it has the lower DRL fitted on the front lower rather than in the head lights like they do now.
All the best with your choice.

Kev

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
When we were looking this time last year we considered buying British because they looked great the prices were keen and some of the layouts seemed to suit us. However we were put off by negative comments (maybe unfounded). Ended up buying a French MH by Pilote (2016 plate) and we have been very happy with the build quality. Enjoy your search there are plenty of used vehicles out there!

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If you have that kind of budget I would buy a continental van with single beds, you don’t get many uk vans with singles....
There is too many autotrails reports with many build problems...... I’m with Lenny HB i wouldn’t buy a uk van...?

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
After a lot of looking around we have decided that the Delaware will be our next purchase brilliant layout, Especially the front lounge layout so far superior to the cramped uncomfortable offerings from over the water.
We have owned an Autotrail for the last 3 years of virtually trouble from holidays.
We had looked at single bed options but found the beds to narrow for comfort.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
We had an AT Scout for 5 years and had issues with damp every year of ownership.
We really liked the vehicle and the layout but the annual trip for the habitation check and subsequent months of loss of use finally wore us down. You might be lucky and get a good one but many of the regular issues appear to be design related so inherent weak points. I always found the internals of good quality personally but just would not buy another when there are so many other options.
Check there is no heat damage to the LED fitting and veneer, above and adjacent to the cooker. Ours suffered. That one is defo over priced as there are big discounts on current new stock. Look for potential damage behind those mirror guards. You should look to get TV's thrown in to whatever price you agree (we are advised to take ours out presumably so the dealer had the chance of selling another TV). Its a shame they are such aspirational vehicles but often disappoint.

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Brought a brand new Delaware in 2015, only had 2 years as so many issues i had to get rid of it before i had a blinking heart attack (damp, cracks, sealant being the main ones). Make sure you have the damp warranty and it is in intact just for future sanity. Lost around 15k in depreciation but couldn't stand it any longer. Just wasn't worth my health.

That said if you do purchase i hope yours is perfect as they can't all be bad surely.

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Don't listen to the British knockers if your happy with your research and the dealer then it's your choice. The way people knock British based companies who I might add many on here either work for or have a pension with it's a wonder any body can afford to buy foreign let alone British.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Have you downloaded Jim’s Buyers Guide on here........INVALUABLE.
They do seem to be rather prone to problems with damp.........not all of them,but if yours is one of them the cost and hassle of fixing it might be considerable.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
It's overpriced for the model year. Also they suffered from leaking garages due to flexing doors and poor rubber seals. This was rectified in 2017. Look for the marque with the restyled rear panel and hexagonal spare wheel cover.

2018 Delaware's with less than 10k on them go for around ÂŁ57k after a bit of a haggle. Not bad when you consider a 2020 van will set you back ÂŁ80k or more with options.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2017
Loughborough
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hi we have had a 2012 Delaware for nearly 5 years love the layout,especially the island bed.The garage door seals are bit crap,I changed mine myself had no problem since.If you look at the photo of the garage on advert you can see a gap in seal at bottom water gets in there if not sorted.

Upvote 0

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Relatively speaking you do get a new or newish large van for less money than other makes. I used to be a handover and tech guy at an Auto-trail Dealership and every van had the same niggly little faults. Cracked sealant above poorly secured bathroom sink, John guest fittings working loose under pressure, waste and fresh water plastic pipes under the van work loose when you turn the waste or fresh water tap. Some damp issues, external barrel locks seizing with the rain, heavy table securing brackets screws pulling out as attached to thin ply, wheel spats not held on very well. Blinds breaking. Other than that they are great.

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
We've seen this a few months ago and quite like although it's possibly overpriced; spent an hour or so at Elite looking at all options, nice bunch. We like the island bed idea although SWMBO quite likes rear singles... What do folks think of this particular marque, model and why apart from price might it still be for sale?
If I were you I would have a look at the facebook unhappy owners club page.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Our first pvc was an autotrail V line, after several attempts at being repaired by Elite we upgraded to a autotrail tracker, which had major engine failure on the motorway, so had to be taken to my local fiat garage who managed to have an accident in it on a test drive, all very painfull and time consuming over 4 months in a brand new van. Elite were very understanding and eventually managed to swap for another tracker which we never had any bother with. I would buy from Elite but i would sty clear of Autotrail from my experience having had 3 vans. But at least this one should have all the teething problems Sorted and if not elite will cover.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andacami
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Have you downloaded Jim’s Buyers Guide on here........INVALUABLE.
They do seem to be rather prone to problems with damp.........not all of them,but if yours is one of them the cost and hassle of fixing it might be considerable.

Yep

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back