Possible development of an aire in Penrith?

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Solwaybuggier, Feb 7, 2019.

1. jongood

jongood Funster

Ratings:
    +3,414
    I dont think this is aimed at people setting up home there, these are the ones that tend to cause problems by overstaying, setting up camp, hanging out washing etc. The aires are meant as a stopover for tourists.

Jon

• Like it Like it x 1
  2. tony dellar

tony dellar Funster

Ratings:
    +50
    Hi Jon . I get that obviously but maybe old wallys like me will use this option when they retire and just keep moving this combined with brit stops etc would be a cool way to see the UK or dissUK as it may become soon ! Best T .

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. ctc

ctc Funster

Ratings:
    +370
    Whatever is provided people in this country will abuse it. Canterbury works because there are plenty of foreigners using it (we parked next to a Chinese couple,who couldn't speak English, who had driven MH from Hong Kong) and in their the police can and do come down very hard on abusers, ours can't.

4. nicholsong

nicholsong Funster

Ratings:
    +3,687
    I think that there are no problems at Canterbury because the office is staffed whenever the Barriers are open for entry, they have CCTVs in the office and the staff patrol periodically.

I have got to know the staff over the years and they are a good bunch and quite happy to have the MHs there.

Just as an anecdote, one of them retired a few years ago but decided to come back because Colin Perris would be his boss and he liked working for him. I think that says a lot about the culture of the place and the way it is run.

Keep it up chaps.

Geoff

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. maryanne

maryanne Funster

Ratings:
    +4
    I've just had a look at the Metal Bridge Inn on Google Earth. It's in a great position for a stopover on the way to Scotland.... but how does one approach it travelling from the south?

6. G-RMPS

G-RMPS Funster

Ratings:
    +440
    Done! I've used Thacka Lee several times before. It's an excellent wee site, but more than we need for an overnight stop.

Cheers...Keith

7. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Ratings:
    +9,410
    @maryanne, come off the M74 at jct 22 for Gretna and head south on the B7076, this road runs right alongside the motorway, once you've got through Gretna (3 minutes) and takes you right past the entrance to the Metal Bridge Inn.