Possible damp in Hymer shock ! (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I'm looking at a Hymer B class 2012 model and in the detailed pictures I've been sent there appears to be damp markings in the roof lining near the window above the drop down bed.

I know Hymers have solid Pual roofs so could it be the window leaking ?

The seller has tested the area with damp meter and it comes up okay, and we have some downpours since and the marks have not got any worse.

I'm seriously thinking of buying this van but concerned about this.

Attachments

• watermark.jpg
    watermark.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 229
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Possibly caused by cracked or insufficient mastic around roof window, should you buy it worth a look first and be sure if it's a dealer you get some guarantee.
Unfortunately the roof is totally flat so it's possible for water to pool and find a weak point.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I wonder if it's a old problem that has been fixed. This would explain why there are watermarks but you are getting good readings. It sounds as if you are serious about buying, so might be worth arranging an independent test.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
It's happened more than once. If you look at the photograph carefully you can see the tide lines where it has been before and then dried. Guarantees are a waste of time because while they are trying to fix it you are stuck without your MH. Find something else. Bet it smells of damp when you first open the door. You will never get rid of the stain so if you ever want to sell you will have to explain it away.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Perhaps this is the consequence of building a Motor Home in ninety minutes..??

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
Personally I would look elsewhere.

Apart from anything else I don't think I could cope with yet another Hymer damp story on this forum :whistle:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I would have thought a 2012 build Hymer would have been repaired under the Hymer warranty.

I would also like to think they would not have left the road lining with a water stain.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It looks to be the other end of the stupid splash protector that mine had, if it has one that is. The roof is otherwise solid there and the only place is the sealing around the toplight. needs to go up and look there it would be obvious from the outside if the bead is not complete

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
i had a leak in my Euramobil A Class while we were away, one of the marker lights at the front had evidence of water getting in and it came in above the blind on the OSF.. got some mastic on it and its been dry as a stick since. Evidence of it happening at some point in the past.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I had similar problems with a new Pilote A class years ago. A Fantastic van had been fitted and it took about three attempts to get it right. Done by Hayes in Walsall who were very good. Turned out to be the wrong sort of mastic. I was worried about the water ingress which was causing stains like the ones in your photo. Having sorted the leak they somehow managed to get rid of the stains totally. As the Hymer roof does not have any wood in it there won't be any damage there, you just need to be satisfied that the rooflight is now watertight and ascertain that it is possible to remove the stains.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
As others have said, there's no wood in there to swell and rot; PUAL construction means (I think) Polyurethane Aluminium Construction, none of which absorbs water.

I'd imagine it can only really leak from around a roof light and if that's been fixed and it's dry then it should be fine, so long as you can live with the water mark.

I had a water mark on the roof lining of my B Class Hymer but that's because I didn't close a roof light properly before washing the roof.

Mike

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
There's a slight water mark round the rooflight on my frankia too the rooflight is electric and self closes if it detects rain but it isn't instant and I was told by the previous owners that's where the water mark came from, seals certainly look intact

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back