Possibility of new campsites in the Lake District this summer? (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
From the Cumberland and Westmorland Herald

Plans to launch pop-up campsites for Lake District staycation boom​

Landowners will be allowed to host pop-up campsites in their fields this summer as the county gears up for a staycation boom.
When coronavirus restrictions are lifted, it is thought that people will choose to holiday in the UK and the Lake District is one of the top destinations for breaks.
A pop-up campsite is the temporary use of a field for a small number of tents, for a maximum of 56 days.
No special license is required and as long as no alterations are being made to the property planning permission is not needed.
But a full risk assessment must be carried out in advance, suitable insurance put in place, toilet and water facilities be provided and litter collection arranged.
The Lake District National Park Authority has compiled an information pack and is hosting an online session for farmers and land managers on how to create a pop-up campsite.
The national park’s farming officer, Andrea Meanwell ran a campsite on her own family farm last year and will be sharing her experience and give practical hints and tips to others on how they can offer accommodation for visitors this summer.
Andrea said: “Last year we saw an unprecedented number of visitors to the Lake District National Park, many of whom were looking for campsites.
“If we have more campsite spaces available we will hopefully reduce ‘fly camping’ and litter throughout the park.
“We are anticipating similar numbers of visitors this year and this session will give farmers and landowners a chance to gauge if this could be an opportunity for them.”

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Don't want to put a dampener on what is good news for some but rulings may be different for motorhomes than for tents as they usually are elsewhere.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
A nice idea, but I am unsure how it would work.
How can you put in temporary water, washing and toilet facilities, unless they just mean a tap for potable and cooking and an emptying pit for grey and another for toilet waste.
Portaloos? Similar to a festival site?
Only my opinion but motorhomes, and some caravans can be self contained and just need to empty regularly, but camping, in my view, may need some form of ablution block or facilities.
Interesting to see how this goes, and at what prices these new facilities may be offered at.
Only my view though, and I stand to be corrected. 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
It's possible to create a "campsite" almost anywhere - if no mains water for drinking then water bowsers, tanks for black waste, grey waste into hedgerow, chemical loos hired in or composting loos created & skips for rubbish. For short stay camping visitors can be asked to take their rubbish home & no need for showers. Not luxurious camping but thousands do pay a lot of money to stay like this at festivals & events each year - no wonder so many tent campers are buying motorhomes :)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think a farm did that on Portland last summer and it was very successful.
We stayed at Lorna Doon Campsite and their facilities were closed, there were a number of tents and people had bought porta pottis in separate tents. It was a very hot weekend so lots were bathing in the river.
Might help their income and more options for us all. If Cumbria do it other counties may follow.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We stayed at Lorna Doon Campsite and their facilities were closed, there were a number of tents and people had bought porta pottis in separate tents. It was a very hot weekend so lots were bathing in the river.
Might help their income and more options for us all. If Cumbria do it other counties may follow.
Fancy's Family Farm Portland. I understand they did quite well :smiley:(y)

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We stayed on a farmers field last summer. Site was within Walking distance of Portland bill,water bowser, portable toilets & sea views.£10 per night,.. Owners said they hoped to do the same with the adjacent field this year. Spent 4 days there loved every minute.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back