Position of sat nav Illegal Police advise! (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Bottom RH side of screen, can’t see that working for LH drive.

Do do see them in silly places in cars though, like directly in front of driver who has to look around the unit to see the road.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I love the statement - "The only Legal place" is the bottom right of the windscreen - oh, and up by the rear view mirror, the bottom left, bottom centre, air vents and anywhere else it doesn't block your view.:rolleyes::rolleyes: . Would have been easier to say "Don't affix it to the windscreen in your direct eye-line".:D2:D2

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
This is a story which first appeared last week, and it was very quickly knocked on the head by Greater Manchester Police themselves. Someone got a bit above themselves at GMP and posted something which we all know to be nonsense.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Poor positioning needs highlighting though. We were taken out for a meal this week by a friend. His toad had the satnav directly in front of him - absolutely dead centre in front - blocking most of the road ahead. I don't what possessed him to put it there but l felt distinctly uncomfortable.

The best position, if it's available, is anywhere in that area where the view out is obscured anyway by the vehicle bonnet. Or anywhere that if it wasn't there you'd be looking at the sky. Or anywhere that isn't swept by the wipers. It isn't rocket science to keep it out of the way but next time you're driving just note how many drivers have theirs in a stupid place.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I have asked this before, but, no one seems willing to provide an answer.
I cant push a button on my screen mounted sat nav or phone without risking a fine and points...........But police officers chasing cars through built up areas can mess around with their stab vest mounted models, removing one hand from their steering wheels at 90 mph. Are they exempt???? o_O

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The official DVSA pov for HGV , same for PSV nothing within the swept area of the windscreen or protrude more than 40mm into that area , unless that area is already masked by an original part of the vehicle (eg dash cowl)
There is a special exemption for positioning of toll tags (within reason eg not in front of eyeline but at edge )

I have seen a few "spokesmen" eg RAC, Police (not a traffic officer) spouting a load of twaddle , having not read the legislation but simplifying to try and get a view across , and adding to the confusion .

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
I cant push a button on my screen mounted sat nav or phone without risking a fine and points...........But police officers chasing cars through built up areas can mess around with their stab vest mounted models, removing one hand from their steering wheels at 90 mph. Are they exempt???? o_O
Probably :D2

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Anyone know which law...?
It is an offence under regulation 30 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 if a driver’s vision is obscured whilst driving, the rules applying to 10mm of obstruction in zone A of the windscreen and 40mm in zone B.

s41 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 provides that a person is guilty of an offence who does not have proper control or a full view of the road and traffic ahead.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
In theory you can fail your mot if the satnav or dashcam are in a not allowed pisition, most places though just remove them.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The law relates specifically to handheld mobile phones. No other device is specifically illegal but depending on circumstances use of such could be considered as contributing to lack of full control.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Bottom rh side of screen.
Just right for a passer by to nick if you're at a standstill with your window open lol

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Just to throw salt into the wounds

Be careful in Spain there the driver should not be able to view the screen as it will cause a distraction and will therefore be illegal - not sure how that works as with comments above police have them in the centre of the screen over there too

fortunately (or unfortunately ) ours is in the Radio so the screen can be folded away and I can't see it but it still tells me where to go

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome

I agree - belting along and using their talking broaches.

We are being treated like children - not able to operate any equipment whilst driving in a safe manner without getting points.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Mine sits on a vent bracket so not a problem at the moment, however I recently bought a HUD type gadget which has a fold-up mirror surface which reflects your phone display. Not too many HUD enabled apps at the moment but I've got mine situated near the top of the dashboard directly in my line of view which isn't compromised due to the high Ducato seating position in the moho. Not sure how the legislation would affect it as its not affixed to the screen, causing an obstruction or impairing my view..

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got a mount that suctions to the dash:
416Ms4DFQmL.jpg

So the mount is stuck to the corner of the useless dash-top clipboard thing, mounting my phone is just above the gear stick. It's nice and easy to read and only just breaks into the line of the windscreen. It's done about 2000 miles, including around the Highlands, without coming off. Recommended to me by a taxi driver.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Just to throw salt into the wounds

Be careful in Spain there the driver should not be able to view the screen as it will cause a distraction and will therefore be illegal - not sure how that works as with comments above police have them in the centre of the screen over there too

fortunately (or unfortunately ) ours is in the Radio so the screen can be folded away and I can't see it but it still tells me where to go
Do you have a link to the legislation where this is stated? Googling finds a number of people quoting legislation which prohibits DVD screens etc being visible to the driver, but explicitly exempts satnavs from this:

Quedan prohibidos los dispositivos que puedan distraer al conductor, como pantallas con acceso a internet, monitores de televisión y reproductores de vídeo o DVD. Se exceptúan a estos efectos el uso de monitores que, aún estando a la vista del conductor, su utilización sea necesaria (visión de acceso o bajada de peatones, maniobras traseras...) así como el dispositivo GPS.

Unfortunately the links to the place on the dgt.es site where this quote comes from no longer work.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

In a word "YES". One law for them, One for us. Is now and always will be.:rolleyes:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It never ceases to amaze me how many people I see with a sat Nav placed in a prominent position on the windscreen. Their location obliterates a significant field of view. It wasn’t that long ago that I remember a furore over the thickness of the A pillars on cars as being a danger to pedestrian/cyclists.

Perhaps MOT testers should stop removing sat navs from screens prior to testing. A failed MOT would soon increase the awareness around this hazard.

As both a biker and a rather tall bod for whom the rear view mirror obscures a fair chunk of my forward view, I’m very conscious of anything that diminishes the view out of the fron screen. If I have a passion the car and they fold the sun visor on their side, I have to fold it back up immediately otherwise I have lost close to 25% of my visibility.

The above refers to driving cars; it’s not a problem in the MH!

Ian

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
As usual, a sad lack of that old commodity "common sense". Mine is on the dash centre mounted. I can see 99.9% of the windscreen, and can monitor it if necessary without moving my neck, just a quick flick of the eyes. It is also useful in that I have a far more accurate speed output than the Fiat Clock which I have to lower my head to see, and in some lighting situations is barely visible!. Short of having a "Jet Fighter" head up display it is probably the safest configuration. If some of these "jobsworths" had the brain of an omeba they would be dangerous!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A display is not a TV screen?

Edit: Just realised you probably meant radios with a TV facility.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back