Posh Pub Stop for a birthday ? (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
My wife's birthday is on December 24th so we always struggle to create a birthday treat at that time for obvious reasons.
I came up with the idea that I would arrange a motorhome pub stop in January or February where I would try and arrange a pub stop with an upmarket meal in the pub.

Of course with a 'free' stay overnight means I can afford to splash out on the meal.
It's got to be good otherwise I'm going to be in trouble.

We live in the Midlands and don't want to go all that far in the winter I suppose.

So would any kind Funsters like to suggest somewhere that might suit please ?
If it was combined with somewhere interesting, all the better.

TIA

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
What about the Gloucester Old Spot near Cheltenham? That is not far from "the Midlands" and some might even say it was in it! They allow overnight stays if you are eating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My wife's birthday is on December 24th so we always struggle to create a birthday treat at that time for obvious reasons.
It's got to be good otherwise I'm going to be in trouble.
Dec 24th? Hmm, let me see.............ah yes, not so near I'm afraid, but 'The Star' at Bethlehem must be posh as I've read that it has followers with gold, frankincense and myrrh.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Put the Motorhome undercover and book Christmas in the Maldives. Trust me, seeing a 5ft tall black father Christmas with a foreign accent had us in stitches. :D

Crimboday-maldives2006.JPG

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
What about the Gloucester Old Spot near Cheltenham? That is not far from "the Midlands" and some might even say it was in it! They allow overnight stays if you are eating.

That's not posh...

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004

That sounds good, it's a nice idea and it's wifey's buffday in 9 days!

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
A lot of pubs would no doubt be happy for you to stay in their car park overnight in January or February.

I would see if you could stay in the car park of the Village Inn at Barnsley (near Cirencester) , you could eat in the pub or the Barnsley House hotel in the village .

If you wanted to do something different they also do a movie and meal night deal where you have a meal and then they show a film in a small movie theatre in Barnsley House hotel.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
That sounds good, it's a nice idea and it's wifey's buffday in 9 days!
If you are coming up from Somerset, whilst that is a decent britstops pub stop there are far better pubs to go to than the old spot, it has a nice restaurant and good food but it is a bit of a dive.
If you like the idea of cotswolds then somewhere like Craven arms would be better. IMO
Decent sized gravel carpark they might let you stay on if you rang and asked (I have seen MH's in there before) also 5 mile walk to Sudely castle across completely green countryside passing an ancient burial ground on the way (Belas knap)..
Craven is only open three days a week and has an EXCELLENT restuarant, cosy fire side setees and plenty of room to lounge for the evening. Lots of nooks and crannys to scurry away to with your pint and better half :D
Edit, Craven arms is in Brockhampton if you are doing a google (otherwise you'll end up in a shropshire village by the same name :D)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
go up to sheffield, wortley hall, yes you will pay for parking but they actually do christmas dinner on christmas day !! not only can you give her a birthday treat but you can save yourselves peeling the brussels and potatoes !

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thames head inn, on the Tetbury road-just outside Cirencester has a small campsite round the back of the pub, hard standing pitches with EHU. It’s a real proper ol pub and the food and beer is fantastic. (y)

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Thames head inn, on the Tetbury road-just outside Cirencester has a small campsite round the back of the pub, hard standing pitches with EHU. It’s a real proper ol pub and the food and beer is fantastic. (y)
Just checked their website. £20 per night to stay:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
How close? How posh?

Our kids bought us an 7-course tasting dinner at Morston Hall, run by Galton Blakiston.

The house wine was £35 but you could get a "wine flight" of specially selected drinks with each course for £80 per person (I recall) but it was a while ago.

They were happy for us to sleep in their very peaceful carpark (in MH obviously!) despite also offering accommodation.

Close by is Morston Quay (NT) and the North Norfolk coast.

Gordon

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Ooh I have just thought of a place near hardraw force waterfall, will be amazing in winter.
damn it tea break over.. there was a "hall" near by made fnamous by clarkson for punching someone.. will have to look for it later. Epic place.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Right then. ?
It was Simonstone hall and just south of hadraw waterfall and Simonstone hall is Hawes CaMC club site. Bloody beautiful bit of countryside.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Dec 24th? Hmm, let me see.............ah yes, not so near I'm afraid, but 'The Star' at Bethlehem must be posh as I've read that it has followers with gold, frankincense and myrrh.
I thinks it full, because of some government thing, an election or a con ‘Census’ ...??

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Ooh I have just thought of a place near hardraw force waterfall, will be amazing in winter.
damn it tea break over.. there was a "hall" near by made fnamous by clarkson for punching someone.. will have to look for it later. Epic place.
Eh you, don’t be sending Southerners up here breathing our air, eating our food, drinking our beer/wine and looking at our scenery. Once they see it they’ll come again and probably tell others. Who knows where that will end?

Oct 27, 2017
Burntwood, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
2013 Autocruise Accent
Exp
Since 2013
You could look at The Malt Shovel, Lower Lane, Chorley, Nr Lichfield, WS13 8DD.
01543-685277.

Always good food and comfortable bar areas.

They used to have space behind pub for Caravans/Motorhomes. If so, well worth a visit and plenty to do in the local area, Cannock Chase, Lichfield City for example.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
upmarket? free to stay? Not sure they compliment each other, how much do you want to spend?

Or do you mean really good food with a convivial ambience and not full of tossers, where abouts in the Midlands?

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
If you are contemplating the Gloucester Old Spot then just bear in mind that the motorway junction J10 is restricted access. You can only leave M5 when southbound. The pub is to your right(west) so be prepared to make an official U turn on the dual carriageway , cross over the M5 and the pub is 1/2 mile, Ist turning on the right.
Have had good steak meals there but I wouldn't call it posh
Mike & Ann

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
When Mrs Whack was originally diagnosed (in remission now thankfully) we started doing posh places and Michelin starred restaurants, well why not! We were pleasantly surprised at how many were happy for us to park in their car parks - they sell more expensive wine.

The standout one for us is Tommy Banks place at Oldstead, when I phoned I was told that the car park is too small, just as my heart was sinking they went on to say we could park up at their farm 400 yards away. We had a superb spot overlooking the vale of York and a brilliant meal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back