Portuguese toll road help needed! (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
So after 3 months of toll free driving we’ve managed to drive, albeit very briefly, on 3 stretches of toll road yesterday and today. One was near Vigo and cost €4 which was paid by card, one was on the Literal Norte just north of Porto which had no means of paying but I think is €2, and the 3rd was this morning near Espinho and was only €1.10, again payable at a machine.
The 2nd toll is the issue as I’m not sure how to pay it. Searching online shows a few different ways including in a Post Office, but we’d rather do it online if possible. Buggered if I can find out how to do that though so any help would be much appreciated!
Is there a site where we can just type in our registration number and then pay by credit card?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Deleted User
So after 3 months of toll free driving we’ve managed to drive, albeit very briefly, on 3 stretches of toll road yesterday and today. One was near Vigo and cost €4 which was paid by card, one was on the Literal Norte just north of Porto which had no means of paying but I think is €2, and the 3rd was this morning near Espinho and was only €1.10, again payable at a machine.
The 2nd toll is the issue as I’m not sure how to pay it. Searching online shows a few different ways including in a Post Office, but we’d rather do it online if possible. Buggered if I can find out how to do that though so any help would be much appreciated!
Is there a site where we can just type in our registration number and then pay by credit card?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

There is, supposed to do it before travelling on the electronic toll roads which are all signed as such.

I think it may now be possible to pay after the event online but not sure, it is certainly possible to prepay online via these links

<Broken link removed>

How To Pay and then TOLLCARD/ Buy Here

<Broken link removed>

I would try online first, not sure what happens at Post Offices now, got blank looks when the system was first introduced a few years ago.

Just seen that you can now link a credit card to your registration number via the easy toll system at the bottom of the page, this is also possible at the machines at the main border crossing points.

Deleted User
Try linking a credit card and see what happens, it may deduct a recent one, not a lot to lose, you may stray onto another one sometime.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Try linking a credit card and see what happens, it may deduct a recent one, not a lot to lose, you may stray onto another one sometime.

So create an account, give them my card details and see what happens?
I’ll give it a go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
So create an account, give them my card details and see what happens?
I’ll give it a go.

There are also some helpline numbers on the website for easytoll and the tollcard system, don't like to make things easy do they!

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
There are also some helpline numbers on the website for easytoll and the tollcard system, don't like to make things easy do they!

Account created, credit card linked, bought a pre-paid card after speaking to a lady on the phone, click on link to see “tolls in debt” but it will only recognise a Portuguese registration plate!

Aaaarrrgghhhhhh!!!!

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
When you phone the helpline it asks if you want your call answered in english press 1, for toll charges press 1 then it just hangs up!

They certainly do not make it easy...
Currently on hold to their help centre.

Deleted User
When you phone the helpline it asks if you want your call answered in english press 1, for toll charges press 1 then it just hangs up!

They certainly do not make it easy...
Currently on hold to their help centre.

I think that you have done everything possible to pay this small amount and I wouldn't waste any more time on it if you can't get through, enjoy your stay in Portugal.(y)

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I’ve been asked to call back tomorrow...
Got the girls name, screenshots & receipts so won’t lose any sleep as I’ve done all I can.
Thanks for your help!

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Don't know if this applies to all toll road entrances.........when we entered Portugal from Spain last year we pulled off into the service area to find out the best way to pay and were shown to a terminal where we had to park in a given position then we put our credit card into the terminal, it registered our registration number and associated our credit card with our van reg then the gantry cameras then charge our credit card when the reg was seen by the cameras.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Don't know if this applies to all toll road entrances.........when we entered Portugal from Spain last year we pulled off into the service area to find out the best way to pay and were shown to a terminal where we had to park in a given position then we put our credit card into the terminal, it registered our registration number and associated our credit card with our van reg then the gantry cameras then charge our credit card when the reg was seen by the cameras.

We've been trying to avoid all tolls and had managed it until yesterday which is why I’m so annoyed about this. All my own doing though.
Perhaps if we’d arrived on a toll road I wouldn’t have needed to post for help.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
In 2012 we missed the turn for the toll booth credit card thing when entering Portugal from Spain. I tried all sorts to pay, but couldn’t. We still owe them!😂

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
In 2012 we missed the turn for the toll booth credit card thing when entering Portugal from Spain. I tried all sorts to pay, but couldn’t. We still owe them!😂

Funnily enough I saw a wanted poster at the toll booth for a Margaret Stone...

Co-incidence? Perhaps not!

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Last December we went on a couple of Portuguese toll roads - still waiting for the letter!!

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
We've been trying to avoid all tolls and had managed it until yesterday which is why I’m so annoyed about this. All my own doing though.
Perhaps if we’d arrived on a toll road I wouldn’t have needed to post for help.
They are bloody annoying and we avoid them like the plague. 😡

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
How did you manage 3 in one day...😱 I’ve driven around Portugal for 4yrs and haven’t found a single one yet....😁

😂😉

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wouldn't worry about "historic" offences. In my experience the Portuguese system isn't very good at identifying foreign offenders. I got away with numerous trangressions on our first visit. I now have a tag but as you say, if you enter on a main route you can register on arrival.

May 7, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
This is only for the automated toll roads. All the others have a different system.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
There are in fact ( to the best of my knowledge) 3 different toll systems, and they arent integrated.

For foreign registered vehicles, there are the ‘estrangeiro’ points to enter reg and credit card at a machine, valid for 30 days. One is at the start of the A22 on the spain/Algarve border, and there’s at least one other of these up north somewhere.

some are pay as you go with toll booths, so easy enough.

some, are electronic, and the only way to pay these is with a pre pay card online as above, or a via verde machine.
I believe you can also pay these a few days later at any post office (CTT) but it takes a few days to show up after you’ve travelled.

The difficulty arises when you accidentally stray onto an electronic only one! ( or stray onto the A22 at any point other than the border!)

My best advice would be to buy a €5 card online so you have some credit just in case.

I have ‘heard’ anecdotally of folk receiving fines in the post, but also know for a fact that if the GNR (Police) stop you they know if you have outstanding tolls and fines and the penalties are hefty.

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
This is only for the automated toll roads. All the others have a different system.
I must admit we had assumed this system would work anywhere in Portugal, there was no indication that it was only for A22 toll road. Didn't end up using any toll roads while we were in Portugal as we got off at Monte Francisco, so never found out. We live and learn.

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
Easiest way we found was to get the emovis tag which covers spain and Portugal, then you can just drive through the via verde lanes.

J Mendes

Free Member
Oct 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
bessacarr 2010
Exp
2010 bessacarr fiat ducato 40 maxi 130m-jet
Hi I`m new here but my advise is if you don't have the machine on the road for pay don't pay because its not legal by the international low

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back