Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Broken Link Removed

I found this (it is in English) but have never driven in Portugal so can't tell you if it works or not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi what are the procedures for paying the tolls on Portuguese motorways
Depends which ones. For the newer ones that use electronic tolling you have to stop at the first layby over the border (it is well signposted) and register your reg number and credit/debit card. It is all done automatically using a camera. After that you just drive along them and your card gets charged as you pass each charging station, the charge is shown on a big billboard just before each charging station. The trouble is you can only do this if you cross the border on an electronic toll road. If you enter Portugal any other way I am not sure how you pay the electronic toll!

For the rest it is usually take a ticket at the entry toll station and pay at the exit toll station by card or cash.

I think the A13, A22, A23, A24, A25 and A28 are the electronic ones. The by pass around Braganca is also electronic.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
The trouble is you can only do this if you cross the border on an electronic toll road. If you enter Portugal any other way I am not sure how you pay the electronic toll!
Simple way is to buy a Tollcard at a Post Office (PTT.). You then scratch off the code, & text it to the number on the card. The trick with it is finding a PTT with a reasonably short queue.
Last time we did this the woman behind the counter asked if we’d been on the motorway yet - the implication being she could have sorted the payment retrospectively if we had. I think in theory non-Portuguese drivers can’t pay in retrospect- although on one occasion when we went on a toll motorway by accident due to a road closure we did buy a Tollcard from a motorway services which seemed to work fine.

You can also pay for the long stretch of motorway heading from Lisbon up via Castelo Branco to Guarda and Spain (or vice versa) by buying an overall toll pass on the motorway services - I think it lasts 24 or maybe 48 hours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back