Portugal tolls for motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We re considering drifting into Portugal for a couple of weeks. Im always a bit reluctant because I know what a pita the tolls systems are. But now wondering if there's anything different for over 7500kgs?

Thanks
Jon

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have a Vrio box Jon, which covers most of Europe including the odd balls like Portugal and Austria. You need to have a VAT registered company to get the account. I don't think you are a penny pincher so you will accept the small standing charges in exchange for ease of use. I even got my Medina Straits ferry crossing on the box. They are now GPS enabled.
M

Deleted User
Tolls are based on the height above the front axle, less than 1.1m group1.
Greater than 1.1m and 2 axles, group2, 3 axles inc trailer group3, 4axles ir more group 4.
Weight doesn't seem to come into it.
The Portal de Portagems web site has more info.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I’m pretty sure we managed to go the whole way down to the Algarve toll free, sorry but not got details. I’m like you I hate the Portuguese toll roads.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Tolls are based on the height above the front axle, less than 1.1m group1.
Greater than 1.1m and 2 axles, group2, 3 axles inc trailer group3, 4axles ir more group 4.
Weight doesn't seem to come into it.
The Portal de Portagems web site has more info.
Tolls in Portugal don't break the bank.BUSBY.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Jon. Around 2015 we visited Portugal in our 4t van & then the situation was not all motorways were toll. The new ones were toll & collected electronically via ANPR & you had to register your vehicle & credit card at the border. Unfortunately this was hit & miss as not all entry points had the system fitted then but they were actively policing it. We spoke to some officers at the border when we entered & I wrote a story about it all which I posted on the now CAMC website in the foreign touring stories section of their forum Club Together. You will see me in the top authors. I think it is open access but I cannot access the site from my tablet, unlike a laptop So cannot put a link in here. If you look under my username, as on here, you should find it but the photos many now be mixed up after a software change hence me no longer posting stories ☹️ If you really want to read it & cannot find it I could always find the copy I kept & post it as a file but it would be a bit if an effort to do so unfortunately

Deleted User
Jon. Around 2015 we visited Portugal in our 4t van & then the situation was not all motorways were toll. The new ones were toll & collected electronically via ANPR & you had to register your vehicle & credit card at the border. Unfortunately this was hit & miss as not all entry points had the system fitted then but they were actively policing it. We spoke to some officers at the border when we entered & I wrote a story about it all which I posted on the now CAMC website in the foreign touring stories section of their forum Club Together. You will see me in the top authors. I think it is open access but I cannot access the site from my tablet, unlike a laptop So cannot put a link in here. If you look under my username, as on here, you should find it but the photos many now be mixed up after a software change hence me no longer posting stories ☹️ If you really want to read it & cannot find it I could always find the copy I kept & post it as a file but it would be a bit if an effort to do so unfortunately

The situation has not changed since 2015, not all toll roads are electronic, some still have toll booths but the electronic ones are clearly marked.
It is not compulsory to register a credit card at the border but it is possible to pre pay on the internet or buy at motorway services, all methods are explained on the Portal de Portagems web site, albeit not very easy to find.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Tolls in Portugal don't break the bank.BUSBY.
I agree, its not the cost its the complexity. Why on earth do they need 3 separate systems?

Despite the stories of cockups with people's cards- last time I bought the prepay one at the border and still managed to get in a via verde lane because I missed the convoluted diversion to get in the regular toll lane.

Edit, looking in more detail at the portal portagem site it appears there are now 4 electronic methods plus cash, so they have 5.

last time - about 3 years ago I bought a tollcard, does anyone know if I signed up for Easytoll ( easy sounds promising) does it cover via verde?

Last edited:

Deleted User
I agree, its not the cost its the complexity. Why on earth do they need 3 separate systems?

Despite the stories of cockups with people's cards- last time I bought the prepay one at the border and still managed to get in a via verde lane because I missed the convoluted diversion to get in the regular toll lane.

Edit, looking in more detail at the portal portagem site it appears there are now 4 electronic methods plus cash, so they have 5.

last time - about 3 years ago I bought a tollcard, does anyone know if I signed up for Easytoll ( easy sounds promising) does it cover via verde?

I am almost sure that it doesn't, I bought a transponder a few years ago and that was the only way to use the drive through ViaVerde lanes.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
If you enter on the A22 (Algarve) from the Spanish border at AyaMonte you can register at a machine with your U.K. bank card, valid for 30 days only. I believe this system also applies at the start of other motorways, but not sure where. You CANT do this at any other junction, only at the start of the motorway atthe border.

Your best option is to prepay a toll card, and put some credit against your reg number. Here….

Alternatively, you can just drive through any electronic toll and then pay at any pay point ( post office or large supermarkets) by giving your reg number and simply paying there, takes a day or two to show up against your reg.

Simples really 😉

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I have found the story now, unfortunately all photos have gone & it was May 2014 but this will explain the process then. Obviously this was the start of the system and things have likely changed, as described above. The story is HERE

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Bigtree, I think the N120 has been fixed ,we drove up in march 2020 and from memory it was nearly finished! (I think!!)
Has anyone been there recently?
Not before time , the tree roots had made a right mess of the road.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Once you get your head around all their different systems it's not too bad. The biggest problem we found is you are driving down a Motorway with toll booths then you see a sign telling you the road ahead is electronic tolls and there is nowhere to turn off. We found their helpline very good and used the electronic pre-paid toll card. Another problem was they say the toll comes off the card within 24 hours in practice is more like 5 days, I try and work out how much a section is going to cost & put just enough on the card each time.
The system where you register your CC at the border is probably easier but I think there are only 3 or 4 border crossings where you can do that in the whole of Portugal so not very practical if you have entered Portugal on a small road off the beaten track.

HectorsHoose

Free Member
May 10, 2021
Perth, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2016
We re considering drifting into Portugal for a couple of weeks. Im always a bit reluctant because I know what a pita the tolls systems are. But now wondering if there's anything different for over 7500kgs?

Thanks
Jon
We have an Emovis tag that covers Spain/Portugal & another for France. Makes it super easy. Supposed to be for vehicles below 3m high & 3.5 tonne but our AT Apache 700 is 3.1m high & 7.5m long & we’ve only ever come across one automatic barrier (they have height cameras) near Calais which stopped us & we had to pay a higher rate…so we avoid that one!

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I always consider it a failure of my route planning if I hit a toll road. Hate them!! I'll always drive further and slower to avoid them. I'm never in a hurry in the van!

I wonder how long I'll be able to get away with it??

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Your best option is to prepay a toll card, and put some credit against your reg number. Here….

Toll Card
This is a good option. I don't do Portugese, sadly, so I ended up asking the guy on the campsite reception desk. He pointed out that in the top right corner there is an option for English. After that it was easy.

The option I chose was to buy a pre-pay toll card, various prices but I chose 20 euros. This lasts for a year. You register the vehicle reg, and they give you a 7-digit reference number. You can use that number later to find out how much credit you have left, and to to buy more toll cards if you want.

The motorways we travelled on had cameras to register the vehicle, but not much in the way of info on charges. We didn't find out we had to pay until the next day. They will deduct any charges from previous days from your current toll card, I think if you buy one within a couple of days there's no problem. And there's no problem with the vehicle being from UK.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have just travelled Badajoz to Evora on toll collected ticket and then paid €15 at Evora end with credit card easy to do and much better Road to drive on😊

huck999

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
I always consider it a failure of my route planning if I hit a toll road. Hate them!! I'll always drive further and slower to avoid them. I'm never in a hurry in the van!

I wonder how long I'll be able to get away with it??
I find them much better than crawling up and down mountains. Fuel saved more than pays for the toll.
Still waiting for easy-toll to take the money from march, though. Soon, they keep telling me!

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I find them much better than crawling up and down mountains. Fuel saved more than pays for the toll.
Still waiting for easy-toll to take the money from march, though. Soon, they keep telling me!
Give me the mountains please, and I'll accept the extra fuel cost. We don't avoid toll roads predominantly for the cost saving. The journey and route taken is always part of the adventure for us. You just can't get that on a motorway, paid for or free. So we avoid them (all motorways) whenever possible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back