Portugal, Spain and France tour... (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We are leaving twin lakes this morning, it's sunny intervals but it was chilly last night. On our way down to San Sebastián where we will decide whether to go along the top of Spain or cut across and into Portugal, I think we may be chasing the sun....
Not much going on but did try and help out @cliffandger and @Ali n Tim with the quiz last night but dont think they needed me as they won it anyway..:clap2:

Hopefully when we start getting to warmer climes we will have something to write about...

Have a good weekend people...(y)

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We're meandering around northern and central Portugal at the moment.. Blue skies, warm in the sun but the slightest chill in the breeze.. A few photos to whet your appetite...

The first two are at the free aire at Soajo, great place, taken from the van!!
Portugal 2017 002.JPG
Portugal 2017 006.JPG

The next few of the Douro valley, the further east you go the better..
Portugal 2017 013.JPG
Portugal 2017 014.JPG
Portugal 2017 016.JPG

Seen 000s of acres of land burnt by recent forest fires and today on the horizon another started but was put out in a few hours... Some good ACSI sites about for 11€ with good food available as well as good aires and municipal campsites for 10€ or so...

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We're meandering around northern and central Portugal at the moment.. Blue skies, warm in the sun but the slightest chill in the breeze.. A few photos to whet your appetite...

The first two are at the free aire at Soajo, great place, taken from the van!!View attachment 186393 View attachment 186394

The next few of the Douro valley, the further east you go the better..
View attachment 186395 View attachment 186396 View attachment 186397

Seen 000s of acres of land burnt by recent forest fires and today on the horizon another started but was put out in a few hours... Some good ACSI sites about for 11€ with good food available as well as good aires and municipal campsites for 10€ or so...

That looks great....(y)

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Oh what a day.... we left twin lakes this morning and headed for an aire not far from San Sebastian up in the wooded hills, where we emptied our tanks and refilled. There was only one other Belgium van there but also about 20 cars and what looked like a party going on and plenty of rowdy youngsters with plenty of drink so we knew we weren't going to get a good nights sleep there so we moved to an aire at Zumaia which is ok with about 20 other vans... but the road our garmin 760 took us on was the worst yet... single track through wet woods and up steephills with the smallest tightest hair pins I've been on :eek: sharp was hysterical and I was even slightly concerned....:cool: I don't want too many of them on this trip....

I said this aire was ok,Campercontact 56043 but as I write there must of been some celebration going on nearby as there are hundreds of pissed thirteen year old girls going along the river shouting and screaming puking up everywhere.... I hope it quietens down soon as I'm going to bed...now

Heading over Spain and into Portugal tomorrow...(y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Oh what a day.... we left twin lakes this morning and headed for an aire not far from San Sebastian up in the wooded hills, where we emptied our tanks and refilled. There was only one other Belgium van there but also about 20 cars and what looked like a party going on and plenty of rowdy youngsters with plenty of drink so we knew we weren't going to get a good nights sleep there so we moved to an aire at Zumaia which is ok with about 20 other vans... but the road our garmin 760 took us on was the worst yet... single track through wet woods and up steephills with the smallest tightest hair pins I've been on :eek: sharp was hysterical and I was even slightly concerned....:cool: I don't want too many of them on this trip....

I said this aire was ok,Campercontact 56043 but as I write there must of been some celebration going on nearby as there are hundreds of pissed thirteen year old girls going along the river shouting and screaming puking up everywhere.... I hope it quietens down soon as I'm going to bed...now

Heading over Spain and into Portugal tomorrow...(y):)
Hope you got some sleep! Safe travels!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Must've whizzed past you yesterday! Been on a mission to get to the Sun!
First pic was south of Bordeaux yesterday morning, the second past Madrid in the afternoon on the new R4.........red bull gives you wings :LOL:

IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1302.JPG

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Must've whizzed past you yesterday! Been on a mission to get to the Sun!
First pic was south of Bordeaux yesterday morning, the second past Madrid in the afternoon on the new R4.........red bull gives you wings :LOL:

View attachment 186453 View attachment 186454

Yes Dave it did come down too didn't it...! We got stuck in traffic south of Bordeaux, accident, couldn't believe how people slow right down to have a look and take pictures..:Eeek:

You must have been just in front of us, we left twin lakes about lunchtime...:)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
We left Lago Sanabria yesterday morning as it was bloody freezing,4.7 ,fair enough it is 1000m up in the hills.Now at Cabo Udra with quite a few vans around us,just slightly overcast this morning.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We left San Sebastián this morning and the road/motorway seemed endless with the same baron scenery, not that I'm knocking it as I like to amuse myself with, who lives in a house in the middle of no where and how do they survive.... the geography and geology is fascinating, although sharp gets fed up with me saying that we could live in all the abandoned buildings that we pass... :D2

We are now at CC 5362 a free aire at Braganca north Portugal. The aire is just out side the citadel walls with a path up to it but I haven't explored yet so will post pictures tomorrow. The weather was getting better and warmer as we came down so when we got here the chairs came out and a Morgan's spiced rum was in the glass enjoying the warm 22c sunshine :D

We think we may stay a day or two as we have a nice spot and it was only the second to last spot going as the aire is full with about 50 vans here...

@bigtree its great that your posting your trip here too as mine might be too boring for some and two for the price of one is always better...(y)

Pictures from our door with the citadel up the hill which we will explore tomorrow...

IMG_1096.JPG
IMG_1097.JPG

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Sunday is MTB day so out I went round a few trails,lovely sunset tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_3771.JPG
    IMG_3771.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3773.JPG
    IMG_3773.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 9
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
We left San Sebastián this morning and the road/motorway seemed endless with the same baron scenery, not that I'm knocking it as I like to amuse myself with, who lives in a house in the middle of no where and how do they survive.... the geography and geology is fascinating, although sharp gets fed up with me saying that we could live in all the abandoned buildings that we pass... :D2

We are now at CC 5362 a free aire at Braganca north Portugal. The aire is just out side the citadel walls with a path up to it but I haven't explored yet so will post pictures tomorrow. The weather was getting better and warmer as we came down so when we got here the chairs came out and a Morgan's spiced rum was in the glass enjoying the warm 22c sunshine :D

We think we may stay a day or two as we have a nice spot and it was only the second to last spot going as the aire is full with about 50 vans here...

@bigtree its great that your posting your trip here too as mine might be too boring for some and two for the price of one is always better...(y)

Pictures from our door with the citadel up the hill which we will explore tomorrow...

View attachment 186629 View attachment 186630
Might have said already but we stayed there before going up to Puebla de Sanabria,lovely aire below the castle.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You're only telling us the good bits.

If you go down the hill (steep!!!) you will find the local sewerage works.

As they say Every Silver Lining has a cloud.:sick::sick::sick:

Having said all that Braganca, the whole of it, Citadel, Town, Locals, Everything is great.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You're only telling us the good bits.

If you go down the hill (steep!!!) you will find the local sewerage works.

As they say Every Silver Lining has a cloud.:sick::sick::sick:

Having said all that Braganca, the whole of it, Citadel, Town, Locals, Everything is great.

And I thought that was sharp with a bit of a wind problem....:whistle:

Yes I've seen it now, can't smell it at the mo though...:cautious:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
IMG_20170830_112334.jpg
We were there 3 weeks back, lovely place, the BBQ restaurant just inside the gate was a rip off disappointment, but the castle was an interesting explore.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
View attachment 186738 We were there 3 weeks back, lovely place, the BBQ restaurant just inside the gate was a rip off disappointment, but the castle was an interesting explore.

Haha, I've just come back from there and have the same photo of our van in the bottom corner, now you've spoilt my glory....:(

Still, it saves mifi data loading it....(y)

It was lovely sunshine up till now and is going to remain cloudy for the rest of the day but it's still quite warm here... we only went and looked around the citadel as the paths and roads are very steep and cobbled so it was a nightmare for me in the wheelchair... we saw the BBQ restaurant and thought about it but as I sat in the square by the restaurant while sharp went around the ramparts I was watching all the flies in and out of the buckets of meat waiting there to be cooked...:sicker:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Haha, I've just come back from there and have the same photo of our van in the bottom corner, now you've spoilt my glory....:(

Still, it saves mifi data loading it....(y)

It was lovely sunshine up till now and is going to remain cloudy for the rest of the day but it's still quite warm here... we only went and looked around the citadel as the paths and roads are very steep and cobbled so it was a nightmare for me in the wheelchair... we saw the BBQ restaurant and thought about it but as I sat in the square by the restaurant while sharp went around the ramparts I was watching all the flies in and out of the buckets of meat waiting there to be cooked...:sicker:
Just read your post to my wife, she was nearly sick no wonder we were ill after. The meat, and I use that word reservedly, looked like scraps you would throw for your dog to chew on!

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Maybes I should have carried on my own trip info/pics but this might help your travels,Baiona today as I said,Tapas and vino plus a view from the aire. :whistle:

Attachments

• IMG_3775.JPG
    IMG_3775.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3776.JPG
    IMG_3776.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3777.JPG
    IMG_3777.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 18
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

View attachment 186629 View attachment 186630
We were on the second last terrace in the corner.

Attachments

• IMG_3737.JPG
    IMG_3737.JPG
    412.4 KB · Views: 9
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
You might like Baiona as it has a nice prom and from the aire it's not as steep as Braganca to get down to,lovely views and the old part of town where all the bars and restos are is flat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back