Portugal - Rear mounted Cycle Racks (1 Viewer)

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
I have recently browsed my old AA Camping Europe Guide and in there is says that MH's with rear mounted Cycle racks are not allowed ? its about 10 years old ? can anyone tell me if this is still the case I wandt to take my bikes with me when i go there? I can fgit them on the bike rack or have a tow bar cycle rack

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Not sure about cycle racks, but we have a scooter rack fitted and have for the past 2 years travelled all over Portugal without problem and seen many a MH with cycle racks fitted with bikes attached.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

I seem to remember that Portugal do not allow any part of a cycle to protrude from the side of a motor vehicle and, as a consequence (unless things have changed) one shouldn't have bikes on the back of cars when this could occur.
I haven't heard or read of ban on carrying bikes on the rear of motorhomes though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
They are allowed provided that

a) the bikes do not protrude beyond the edge of the vehicle.. ( that regulation would rule out the use on some cars, hence the reason why some think they are banned)
b) the max depth or overhang of the rack is 0.45 mt.
c) must display a red/white chevron board with four red reflectors.

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
We have travelled thro' Portugal for the past three years with a rear mounted bike rack, as do many others.
Never heard of this rule.
You do need the rear mounted board with the red diagonals
Malc

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We have travelled thro' Portugal for the past three years with a rear mounted bike rack, as do many others.
Never heard of this rule.
You do need the rear mounted board with the red diagonals
Malc

Maybe not.. but you do in Spain, unless you are sailing to Portugal you usually pass through Spain.. I suppose you could remove the board at the border and put it back on when returning .:rolleyes:

This is a quote from the Caravan Club. .. basically what I said except they don't mention chevron boards required for Portugal..

"Portuguese regulations stipulate that bicycles may not be carried at the rear of a car, but they
can be carried at the rear of a motor caravan or caravan, providing that they do not extend
beyond the width of the vehicle or more than 45cm beyond its length.

In Spain and Italy any overhanging loads must be indicated by a square panel measuring
50cm x 50cm with reflectorised red and white diagonal stripes."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back