Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Ferry booked for 28th dec, Boppard for new year then a steady drive through France, across Spain and into Portugal for about 3 months, France is no problem as we have done it several times before but we have never been to Portugal, we usually use the aires in france with the odd site ( usually A.C.S.I.) any help/ info ect on Portugal would be gratefully recieved, the chicken run was posted on here a week or 2 ago and looks good for a while but we would also like to explore a bit, also is lpg easily available ? as i have been told it is not in Spain

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
No LPG problems (GPL over there) in Portugal, many petrol stations have it for sale.

Portugal have also invested in the French Aires idea and you can find info on this site:

Link Removed

Just click on the link 'Service & Parking Areas', we have used a few on our travels.

Don't miss the Barragems though, great places for stopping.

OP
OP
SPUD'N'T

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
thanks for that Kieth, very helpful, what is a barragem though ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
thanks for that Kieth, very helpful, what is a barragem though ?

It's the Portugese name for a reservoir, they built a lot and provided parking areas on many along with hotels, some in magnificent situations. Santa Clara Barragem in the Photo, the hotel is on the top of the hill in the distance.

Attachments

• Santa Clara.jpg
    Santa Clara.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
SPUD'N'T

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
many thanks keith, will definately be checking them out, just the sort of thing we like

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Be careful when visiting Portugal...

I did in 1999, fell in love with the country, and now live here... :winky:

A lot of motorhomers spend most of their Portuguese "time" in the Algarve because of the warmer weather but the far less touristy places are more attractive to me.

I can not help much on the camp site front as I never use them but if you need any other help feel free to ask away...

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artemis

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Portugal

We stayed on the beach at Viana do Castello, North of Opporto for 5nights in September. No problems with police. Sometimes there were only 2 vans there, other nights 10. A French man told us where we could get water and empty the cassette. Probably not allowed in high season.
If you are travelling from Santander, Cudillero on the Spanish coast has a large car park, no facilities, but views over the harbour to the town built on a hillside.
We used some ACSI sites but many were closing at the end of September
Happy Travelling

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back