PORTUGAL fresh off the boat (1 Viewer)

nickhague

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
soothwestish
Funster No
Exp
extrav
Hi All, just back from 7 glorious weeks in Portugal via France west coast and Spain (of course), so what usefull gems can i impart from our travels?

safe Aires and free parks? use your noodle if it dont feel right it aint, either look a bit further or stomach the cost of a campsite for the night, dont be perverse about "never" paying, we encountered a couple of places where we would likely have been ripped off, but wisely moved on, like the books say DONT sleep on the motorway Aires, if in doubt seek the safety of numbers, when you pull up at a new Aire ask your new neighbours what the score is, its a good excuse to practice your "Eurolaise" as generally conversation is possible whatever the nationality.

Free parking in Portugal, phew what can i say, wonderfull, what fantastic people, however if motorhomers continue to take the wotsit i can see that things will change for the worse V Quickly, why?
POODUMPERS!, yes they cant be bothered to drive a few cliks to legitimately dump their chemical "soup" so a bush or even the village drain will do, so if you see it make your disgust known. Go on dont be shy, I wasnt, they will ruin it for all.

Water, watch the fonts, they arent all drinking water, we found that the mercados always had water and assuming you had bought veg and fish etc, they were happy to let you have a butt of tap water, still to be treated with caution mind.

Diesel, widely variable in price, search out intermarche etc on your satnav, cheapest fuel we saw was mid Portugal, from Evora north, until you reach Porto then it went back up.

Food, yummy, helps if you like fish though ;) more expensive than Spain, but a small price to pay for a country that prides itself on cleanliness, politeness and tollerance (sorry Spain).

Crime? struth it felt different just 5 miles in, just got better, not say leave your keys in the ignition ;) but a different ball game from "other" countries, i include the UK in that statement.
hope this is of use to someone N

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Thanks for that Nick :Smile:
Wouldn't like to name & shame the dodgy places would you ? ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
N

nickhague

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
soothwestish
Funster No
Exp
extrav
poodumpers

Hi we saw evidence of poodumping all along the south and west coast of Portugal, we were not impressed, seems that motorhomers of ALL nationalities seeking to keep their costs down preffer to dump rather than pay 3euros.

It was bad enough in a couple of places that you could smell it even given the low temps (january) and the relatively low numbers of motorhomes, the Portugese may be tollerant, but stupid they are not.

Dont let this put you off, i just needed to air my disgust and hopefully encourage all right thinking folk to voice their disgust if they witness it.
there`s nothing like a bit of shame to alter bad habits?
N

crizatuk

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
IOW
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 Full timing
Free Camping in Portugal

Apart from the All the Aires books is there a link anywhere to download good free camping places.

Arnica

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
Bolton le Sands Carnforth
Funster No
MH
Geist Touring 652 C Class
Exp
Nine years
Silves Portugal

Noticed when passing this summer that a new Aire has been constructed just beyond the Continent Supermarket on the N125 out of Silves towards Portamao.:Smile:
Marked off numbered pitches with EHU. Service point at entrance ::bigsmile:
toll booth close by. :RollEyes:
No indication of charges though.

It was a very friendly scene in the past at Silves and a good place to be for a while if you wanted company. The new set up looks very tight in comparison:Sad:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Really pleased you had a great trip.

The only thing I am confused by, and it seems to be written over and over again all over the place, is "never stop over on motorway aires."

Two points.

1. If all these people saying "never do this" have never done it how do they know it is more dangerous than other places?

2. If it is so dangerous how come in over twenty years of living full time in a motorhome and very, very often stopping over night on motorway aires all through France, Spain and Portugal I have never had any bother?

Living full time in a van and hanging out with other people who do likewise I have met several people who have been robbed and none of them was on motorway aires when it happened.

Each to their own of course but if the only reason you don't do something is because you have heard from others who have heard it is dangerous then I suggest you consider the possiblity of checking it out for yourself some time.

The age old motorhome grapevine hey?

JJ :Cool:

PS. Once my motorhome was nicked from outside the Kennedy Hotel next to Euston. Does that mean I should never stop in London again?

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Magical

The only thing I am confused by, and it seems to be written over and over again all over the place, is "never stop over on motorway aires."

Two points.

1. If all these people saying "never do this" have never done it how do they know it is more dangerous than other places?

2. If it is so dangerous how come in over twenty years of living full time in a motorhome and very, very often stopping over night on motorway aires all through France, Spain and Portugal I have never had any bother?

Living full time in a van and hanging out with other people who do likewise I have met several people who have been robbed and none of them was on motorway aires when it happened.

Each to their own of course but if the only reason you don't do something is because you have heard from others who have heard it is dangerous then I suggest you consider the possiblity of checking it out for yourself some time.

PS. Once my motorhome was nicked from outside the Kennedy Hotel next to Euston. Does that mean I should never stop in London again?
[/Arhttp://www.accuweather.com/en/es/benidorm/306404/weather-forecast/306404

Are you saying you have never been gassed in your motorhome? ::bigsmile:

I thought nearly everybody had :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Two points.

...On the other hand , when you show up....getting out of your motorhome, slowly but surely....people see a quite impressive man! If by any chance I happen to be in the van too, and I show up as well, the sizes difference is sooooo.....amazing:winky: ..they don't think I'm small , they think you're even bigger!::bigsmile: If anyone had a visit in mind ....that's it ...they choose another van ! Even the deers have run away last time we parked on a french little aire!!!:RollEyes::RollEyes:

In fact I would say, if you want to avoid problems , don't park next to JJ! Once they see him... they think...NEXT!

Your Frenchy Froggy:Cool:

BTW , the OP was in 2010

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back