Portugal for first time in October - sim card query. (1 Viewer)

Deltacharlie26

Free Member
Aug 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Bessie E630
Exp
First year
Hi,
Can I ask if it is necessary to get a local sim card for the odd phone call to book a site and to use for modest data use downloading maps etc? If so is it just a case of going into a local mobile shop and getting a payg sim with a few GB allowance? Any provider better than the others?

Can you rely on free or paid for campsite wifi (have bought a iboost)?

Any help appreciated as well as any reasonable site recommendations on the Algarve.

Regards,
Dennis

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Hi see you haven't had any replies, I cannot help with sim query but we are also first timers for Portugal in October.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
When in Portugal 2 winters ago we had no problem obtaining SIM/DATA cards for phone and internet access. Cards available from multiple locations and easily accessible. Did not stay in many camp sites so cannot help but Free WiFi is also widely available

Regards, Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Deltacharlie26

Deltacharlie26

Free Member
Aug 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Bessie E630
Exp
First year
Thanks for the replies. We are now in Portugal, staying at Camping Albuferia which seems to be very good. (Only arrived here today) The WI FI is very good but it is a paid for service. You are given an introductory voucher to get on-line then you buy a package to suit. The wifi at the bar is free and also very good 10Mb/s.
Showers and toilets are clean and about as good as they get. Not many people here though.

We stayed at Quarteria ACSI site last night and listened to dogs barking most of the night - glad to leave when one of the neighboring houses decided to have a very smokey bonfire at 8.00am. You could say we were smoked out. Facilities were good, shame about the dogs!

Haven't bothered with the phone as last 8 days or so traveling we had either free wi-fi or didn't need it. I think we will stay here for a few days, the swimming pools look just too good to leave.

Regards,
Dennis

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just use a uk pay as you go,,,so cheap to text and make calls now...BUSBY:):)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm using a uk payg to call or text but I am using globalgig for data. Have to use a different phone as you can make calls with globalgig except I can use Skype as I have a large data allowance.
We are on the way down through Portugal to the Algarve and we are currently in Abrantes, it's raining I might add but not cold.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back