Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks very much all for your comments. Very interesting and constructive - both those for and against.

Just for the record....
  • We haven't got a dog, so no need for a pet cabin.
  • We MUST go in July- August because Mrs W works in a school
  • Have 'done' Switzerland
  • Germany was second on my list, but I'm not too keen on the folk
  • I love driving, so the journey wouldn't bother me. Can spend days meandering around France.
  • Have got enough time, there's no real time constraint (as long as she's back for when the term starts in September)
  • I live just 10 mins from the M25 and only an hour or so from the tunnel
I guessed that the ferry was a matter of preference and also, proximity to a port was a factor. In addition, if you've got 450 miles to go before you get to a UK port, I can see the attraction in a restful ferry. However, I wasn't wrong at least on the high costs of the ferry at that peak time. As I said; you can buy a Mediterranean cruise for that money.

Thanks all
James

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Our main (summer) MH holiday is always in Europe, but as we've 'done' France, Switzerland, Belgium etc, this year, Mrs W fancies something different. Me? Well I know that to 'do' France would take a lifetime at least, but her ladyship wants a change.

Consequently (and enthused by the Funster Nomads) I've been looking at other places a bit further afield. Never been to Portugal and as folk rave about it, it's come to the top of my list.

Question is, to drive, or take a ferry to Bilbao or Santander. I notice a lot of Funsters take the ferry - even down to discussing the 'right' boat to use! BUT, Whoa, the ferry prices are a joke!!

Because of Mrs W's work and having only the school holidays to play with, I got a quote for outbound July and return in August. £700 odd quid out and over £600 back :( I think that was Brittany Ferries no frills économie service too.

Unless I'm pressing the wrong buttons to get a quote, (MH up to 8m x 3m heigh, no trailer or pets) WHO would pay £1,300 for such a voyage? It doesn't cost that much for a Mediterranean Cruise!

• Do folk use the ferry to cut the stress of driving that far?
  • Is it to save VAT (vear & tear) on the van?
  • Is it one's proximity to a UK port like Southampton?
  • Is it the 'cruise' experience?
  • Is it to save time and get to Spain/Portugal soon-as?
You certainly wouldn't spend £1,300 on diesel and tolls and as far as for saving time (assuming one wanted to) some of the crossings take 2 days and sailing days are limited.

Perhaps the ferry is not for me; unless someone can put me right. I'm only an hour from the tunnel but I've got a 3.5 hour drive to Southampton. Therefore, I can be a few hours into France by the time I got to Soton. Cruise experience? Not bobbing about in the Bay of Biscay it isn't. Anyway, if I wanted a cruise, I'd book a hol on Royal Carribean :D

So; help me out here guys.

Like you Wingman we are only an hour from The Tunnel, but tiz the Portsmouth to Santander ferry for us every time. :dance2: Am booked on the Cap Finestere for this coming Wednesday and once off the boat, a nice leisurely decent into Portugal for the next couple of months.

For us its nothing to do with stress of driving or to save wear and tear on our bus and its definitely nothing to do with getting there soon as. Again a bit like you and yours, if we wanted to go cruising, we would also take a cruise ship.:hot:

Portugal here we come.!!!!! Viva Brittany Ferries.!!!! :Grin: :sun:

Mike
SunsetsUnlimited. :coolest:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It`s the old "Horses for Courses" isn't it?. Strapped for time = quickest route to destination. Verses Lots of time. Smell the roses. wander lightly. Your choice, surely?

For the record I done the Portsmouth to Santander. And the "all the way through France" (in Winter!!). I`m a Traveller (it`s in my blood according to the rest of my family). But I am also fortunate that I have the time to travel. But I also remember that when a "Wage Slave" I too had to consider the best use of my time. At the moment (I) we are "between voyages" held up by the need to have "Necessary Reconstruction" and under the cosh of the NHS bureaucrats as to when this will happen. But once the green light shows??????. pedal to the metal!!!. Destination?? Who the HELL cares!!. (But warm is best!)

Pete

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our main (summer) MH holiday is always in Europe, but as we've 'done' France, Switzerland, Belgium etc

I hope etc does not include Italy, it deserves better than etc and it's certainly better than Portugal and cheap to get to.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Its all about personal choice and how much time you have?.

For me, I would prefer to drive through France in a motorhome and take our time.

However, time limitations mean we use the Ferry to Santander or Bilbao. I have never used the "economie" service yet. But as we are BF Club members, we get 30% off the crossing (but not the cabin) prices. So the higher the fare means a higher discount.

I prefer Cap Finistere overall. But Pont Aven has a better Restaurant and Service and some nice Balcony cabins.

As for cost, not matter how many people try to convince themselves or kid others. It will work out the same price or maybe even less using the ferry. And we have been doing this for close on 30 years so do have a little experience.

Yes £700, 900 even £1,600 for a return crossing sounds a lot. But, total up the cost of driving and tolls through France. Especially when you get to class III or even IV for and RV on the Autoroute tolls and that can become very expensive.

We can book a crossing return from as little as £400 return with Brittany Ferries Spanish route and it is less if you can make do with a reclining seat.

If you join the BF scheme, you can on certain fares save the joining fee on your first crossing.

I pass my 10% on to family and friends who do not want or need to join.

TM

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geriatric Germ

Free Member
Mar 20, 2011
Llandysul
Funster No
MH
Liner
Exp
since 2010
As always, pros and cons, our outfit and trailer are 14.8 m , gobbles along at 18 mpg and we worked out that the long ferry versus Dover/ Calais or Tunnel, apart from less driving stress, £ wise is similar, plus we prefer the dogs with us and we are usually lucky to not be in a hurry, so enjoy the drive, sometimes visiting friends / relatives in Belgium, Germany, France and cheap fuel in Luxe.. Been known to take around 14 days to Algarve, but it usually is still there!

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
We did bits of Northern Spain last year via Portsmouth to Santander ferry , loved the whole trip and ferry experience. Like you we were time bound . We are doing the same ferry journey this year as we liked it so much ........
HOWEVER , ........ I absolutely LOVE driving , motorhomes , sportscars, manure sheds , so when time is not the deciding factor then I will definitely drive down .
HTHs !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back