May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am surprised at that to be honest.

The Pont Aven seems much bigger

Just checked. The Pont Aven takes 2400 passengers compared to about 800 on the other one.

I guess it must be shorter but with more decks?

It's twice as good in my opinion.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I agree - the Pont Aven is much nicer. We like the Piano Bar for relaxing over a drink in the evening, and the restaurant is better, Cap Finistere does not have the buffet. However, we're booked on the Cap Finistere because it has pet-friendly cabins, whereas the Pont Aven does not.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
:xeek: Where ? Not a breath of wind here .

Santander Monday - wind 47kph

6 Strong breeze 38–49 km/h 3–4 m Long waves begin to form. White foam crests are very frequent. Some airborne spray is present.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Cap Finistere is a bigger ship isn't it? About the same size as the Pont Aven? Hope so, I'm booked on it.
Been on both, and whilst they both have their plus points, the Pont Aven wins for us. The deluxe cabins on the Finistere are only 2 berth, but they are forward facing. The restaurant on the finistere is a la carte, whereas on the Pont Aven there is a buffet option.
The children's play area is much better on the Pont Aven, ironically the one on the finistere is larger!
The shop is smaller on the finistere. I could go on, the two boats are similar. You get the picture :D

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I am more concerned with the on board comfort, particularly its rough sea capabilities. From what I've read here it seems the differences between the two ferries are relatively minor and as I do not want or need an on board bar or supposedly tax free shop, have got a cabin and intend to take plenty of food on board to avoid the apparently high prices in the restaurant, I might as well stay on the CF and put it down to experience either way. But it is good to know the experiences of others, so many thanks to all.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Santander Monday - wind 47kph

6 Strong breeze 38–49 km/h 3–4 m Long waves begin to form. White foam crests are very frequent. Some airborne spray is present.

Aah, oop North ! Same climate as the Uk :) No wonder it's windy .:xgrin:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Aah, oop North ! Same climate as the Uk :) No wonder it's windy .:xgrin:

Any Tips ?
NURSE the STUGERON Tablets.....How many ? A Bucket FULL.
Ooops flop.. Better fetch a mop. O thrice LOL.
Tea Bag **( Look for my heart,it's in there somewhere.....)**
** This was quoted at a "Leaving" party by Mc Farlane,while beeing supported,an old mate,buddy ,sparring partner,get the picture, from another happy time

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Ex scuba divers tip......If anybody is taking stugeron, start taking it at least 12-24 hours before you are due to sail, otherwise you are waisting your time. As the drug needs to be well established in your system to work.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I am more concerned with the on board comfort, particularly its rough sea capabilities. From what I've read here it seems the differences between the two ferries are relatively minor and as I do not want or need an on board bar or supposedly tax free shop, have got a cabin and intend to take plenty of food on board to avoid the apparently high prices in the restaurant, I might as well stay on the CF and put it down to experience either way. But it is good to know the experiences of others, so many thanks to all.

Restaurants and bars are fair prices. Go on spend a bit you can't take it with you,,,,:xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We are on the Cap Finisterre Portsmouth-Bilbao sailing on the 31st Jan, been on it before and it was okay but like others on here I prefer the Pont Avon. As it is a two night crossing, sod the expense, I have booked a good cabin, at least we can slob out and watch TV or read in comfort if it is a bit bumpy. Take care everybody.......Derek

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
After reading about Motorhomes and cars being parked on the open deck and knowing what the state the bodywork can look like on docking I've decided to change my booking to the Cap Finistere cruise ship on the Bilbao route. OK you can be unlucky and end up being parked below the funnels and get covered in exhaust soot but at least the crew know about it and will hose it off with fresh water if you ask them. They have done it once before for me. I can't see them hosing down a full deck of motorhomes and cars before disembarking on the Baie de Seine.

I checked the booking web site and it suggests that only cars will be parked out in the open :unsure::unsure:

Edit: err, I'm not really sure now. I think the reference to deck 3 is for wheel chair users???

"Information about Brittany Ferries économie

Brittany Ferries économie is our no-frills brand offering a simple yet comfortable choice for travel to France and Spain. The ships, Baie de Seine and Etretat, have smaller public areas, limited dining options and more basic facilities than our classic cruise ferries. Cabins have ensuite facilities but many do not have carpets. Pet owners will welcome the pet friendly cabins to France and Spain. There are also 2 wheelchair-accessible cabins on each ship.

Accessibility

Both ships have constraints for passenger with limited mobility.

Accessibility on Baie de Seine

It will not be possible to travel on Baie de Seine and park near a lift if your vehicle is over 1.83m high or towing a trailer or caravan. There are 2 wheelchair-accessible cabins located on Deck 8 and they are approximately 60m from the 24-hour Information Desk, and further still from the rest of the onboard facilities.

Accessibility on Etretat

Passengers travelling in a wheelchair in a standard car will be parked on deck 5. Larger vehicles will be parked on deck 3 with access to a small lift but a level walkway of 110m will need to be negotiated to access the passenger areas on deck 5. There is no lift to decks 6 to 8 and some outdoor areas are not accessible to wheelchair users or those with impaired mobility.

Open Deck Parking

Vehicles may be parked on open decks on either ship. While the crew will wash your vehicle with fresh water towards the end of the voyage, we recommend you wash your vehicle within a few days of sailing to remove any sea salt residue."

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I checked the booking web site and it suggests that only cars will be parked out in the open :unsure::unsure:
Well they stuck me on the open deck each time, along with the other MoHos. I'm not going to use that ferry again, having had a very choppy crossing and a very crusty salted van.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I just checked my reservation for February.....phew, Cap Finistere so hopefully will not be parked in the open air :xsmile:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have used both ships multiple times.
We take plenty of food and drink on board and rarely venture out of the cabin, using the time instead to read and catch up,on sleep.
It therefore makes almost no difference to us what facilities the ships offer.
Top tip 1 . if you plan to take a kettle so you can make your own tea and coffee makes sure you pack an adaptor as the cabins all have European type sockets.
Top tip 2 if you are worried about the ship rolling about, make your booking by telephone and request a cabin on the lowest accommodation deck, near the middle of the ship and Don't get an outside cabin (windows are small and all there is to see for 95% of the time is sea)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
So, First trip for SWMBO, she is sat on the Bunk opposite the port light, and I could see her going "Green"!!. So I had to swap places, after which she was OK. probably the worse thing you can do is focus on the horizon through a restricted aperture!!. OK up on deck because your horizon is broader. And anyone who sufferers "mal-du-mare" is in very good company. Lord Admiral Nelson (Gord bless `im) was sick on almost every outing!!.

Or as we used to say "shouting for huey, down the big white telephone"

Pete

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well they stuck me on the open deck each time, along with the other MoHos. I'm not going to use that ferry again, having had a very choppy crossing and a very crusty salted van.
Oh crikey! you have confirmed my fear :(

On the other hand, I can now justify driving via Calais or Cherbourg because the savings are even greater compared to the 'full price ferry' (y)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

Sorry I'm confused I thought you'd be happy there with your Sandwiches and Flask perfect picnic area!!!!

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Now on the same boat but date moved to the 26th a funreal on the 20th or would have liked to meet up.

Laurie

Lark14

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Now on the same boat but date moved to the 26th a funreal on the 20th or would have liked to meet up.

Laurie
Another time then, might see you over there. Sorry about the funeral

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Hi funsters, we went to France for the first time last summer and really enjoyed the freedom of our new MoHo. This year we had hoped to go to Spain. SHMBO still works so we are restricted to her work holidays and thought the ferry to Santander or Bilbao would be a good option allowing the best part of two weeks to explore Northern Spain. I have to say I was shocked at the prices of the ferries. The cheapest I was quoted for a return trip departing middle of June was £1200. A change of plan looks likely, a steady cruise from Calais to Bordeaux and back being an option we are considering. Do you experienced travellers have any suggestions. Pete.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Hi funsters, we went to which port.ce for the first time last summer and really enjoyed the freedom of our new MoHo. This year we had hoped to go to Spain. SHMBO still works so we are restricted to her work holidays and thought the ferry to Santander or Bilbao would be a good option allowing the best part of two weeks to explore Northern Spain. I have to say I was shocked at the prices of the ferries. The cheapest I was quoted for a return trip departing middle of June was £1200. A change of plan looks likely, a steady cruise from Calais to Bordeaux and back being an option we are considering. Do you experienced travellers have any suggestions. Pete.
Book early my ferry was £390 single not sure when to come back.or from wich

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back