Portsmouth to santander (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Catching the ferry in January what should I expect from the economy class tickets.
any free meals.
any tips

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Catching the ferry in January what should I expect from the economy class tickets.
any free meals.
any tips
Which boat are you on? It makes a difference!
In economy, you have to book your own tables at the restaurant, and the breakfast isn't brought to your room. The cabin is smaller but that's about it.
Give us more info on the boat, and you'll receive more info. :D

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
We're Portsmouth to Santander on January 5th, economy and we did the same trip last year. Decent sized clean room but nothing else is included, food and drink is all reasonably priced though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
On the Pont Avon the restaurant in the evening is good but a bit pricey, however the breakfast is good value in the morning at about 12 Euro each. The drinks on board are good value given the captive customer base..........enjoy your trip.

The Tincas

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If you are going on the "economie" boat then there isn't a bookable restaurant as such just a very good self service type café. We prefer this to the "cruise" boats, although they are bigger and slightly more stable.

Deleted User
Slightly off thread but what is the position regarding taking your on the ship, do they provide a kennel or can you take your dog in the cabin.
Spongy

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
When they bring the oars round cry off with a bad back. lol Pete

Ps we are on the pont avent on the 31st Jan two night trip nice start to the 5 Months in Spain .

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Which boat are you on? It makes a difference!
In economy, you have to book your own tables at the restaurant, and the breakfast isn't brought to your room. The cabin is smaller but that's about it.
Give us more info on the boat, and you'll receive more info. :D
Sorry the boat is Bale de Seine on the 12th Jan

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Slightly off thread but what is the position regarding taking your on the ship, do they provide a kennel or can you take your dog in the cabin.
Spongy
Depends on the ship, some ships have special dog friendly cabins, only supposed to be one dog per cabin but we always get away with two smaller ones. All have kennels. The economie ship only allows dogs for cars as the garage area for dog owners is one of the lower headroom areas.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Sorry the boat is Bale de Seine on the 12th Jan
Ah! I misunderstood! This is the new Economie service that Brittany Ferries are offering. I'm afraid I know nothing about this service, but reading the literature, it looks like it does what it says on the tin. Smaller ships with limited services on board, so that they can offer cheaper fairs on these boats.
I can see that this kind of crossing would be ideal for someone who, for example, would sit out on deck with a drink and a book. That kind of thing :)

Reactions: f6c

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Depends on the ship, some ships have special dog friendly cabins, only supposed to be one dog per cabin but we always get away with two smaller ones. All have kennels. The economie ship only allows dogs for cars as the garage area for dog owners is one of the lower headroom areas.
Trouble with the dog friendly cabins is that they are not guaranteed so if you turn up and they have substituted the ship you are stuffed.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
any free meals.
any tips

Try and pick one of the inboard oars
canoesmile.gif

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
any free meals.
any tips
A potentially rougher trip on an older, lighter and less stabilised boat, better take the stoogie!!! :xeek:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Personally I wouldn't take any ship to Spain except the Pont Aven.

The smaller ships make an already boring journey unbearable.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I have never been on a Brittany ship with an escalator,,,,BUSBY.
I definitely have, the Cap Finistre this year sailing from Portsmouth to Bilbao on a 2 night crossing which
I have never been on a Brittany ship with an escalator,,,,BUSBY.

The Cap Finistere has an escalator, we sailed on it this year from Portsmouth to Bilbao on a 2 night crossing as it did a crew changeover at Roscoff. It is situated to the rear of the ship.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No

Yup, this is our favourite boat. But then I like all the shopping and restaurants etc. I can understand that some people find that hell on earth though. One of my cousins for example.I told her how much we enjoyed the Pont Aven, she did the crossing and stayed in the cabin or up on deck the whole journey. Ate a packed lunch, she would have been betteroff on the Economie! ::bigsmile:

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004

Cap Finistere is a bigger ship isn't it? About the same size as the Pont Aven? Hope so, I'm booked on it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Cap Finistere is a bigger ship isn't it? About the same size as the Pont Aven? Hope so, I'm booked on it.

No it's a lot smaller and I have to say more boring.

It's ok, but for future purposes I suggest you only book on the Pont Aven

Reactions: zac

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just a bit of info regarding the Economie service. I spoke to Brittany Ferries this morning and as a result I've changed my booking. I was originally sailing on the Baie de Seine for the first time, previously the Etretat on the same route to Santander. The Etretat has been moved over to the Le Havre route as it was considered to be to small for Santander. I thought it was OK although it did roll around a bit it if it was rough. After reading about Motorhomes and cars being parked on the open deck and knowing what the state the bodywork can look like on docking I've decided to change my booking to the Cap Finistere cruise ship on the Bilbao route. OK you can be unlucky and end up being parked below the funnels and get covered in exhaust soot but at least the crew know about it and will hose it off with fresh water if you ask them. They have done it once before for me. I can't see them hosing down a full deck of motorhomes and cars before disembarking on the Baie de Seine. The only thing I don't like about the Cap Finistere is it has a posh over the top restaurant with prices to match and the grill café up on the top deck leaves a bit to be desired.
For anyone who isn't aware, the Cap Finistere does a crew changover at Roscoff which results in a 2 night crossing if you sail out on a Sunday but midweek it is a one night crossing.
Bon Voyage.
By the way the Cap Finistere has an Escalator.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Wouldn't fancy it this weekend, it's blowing a hoolie down here (Spain)

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
[QUOTif="laurieash, post: 1681356, member: 29917"]Catching the ferry in January what should I expect from the economy class tickets.
any free meals.
any tips[/QUOTE]
Only I

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
No it's a lot smaller and I have to say more boring.

It's ok, but for future purposes I suggest you only book on the Pont Aven

The Pont Avon is 184 Metres long it's beam is 30 metres and 41,000 tonnes.
The Cap Finistere is 203 Metres long it's beam is 25 metres.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
When they bring the oars round cry off with a bad back. lol Pete

Ps we are on the pont avent on the 31st Jan two night trip nice start to the 5 Months in Spain .

PP'S
I have been corrected by my better half. It's the Cap Finistere we are on. been on it a few times no problem. the only trouble we have had was on the Pont Aven when the engine's stopped about 6 hours out of port and the ship rolled from side to side a few times causing me to slid back around 4 foot and all sorts of table food and crockery to hit the floor.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The Pont Avon is 184 Metres long it's beam is 30 metres and 41,000 tonnes.
The Cap Finistere is 203 Metres long it's beam is 25 metres.

I am surprised at that to be honest.

The Pont Aven seems much bigger

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back