Portsmouth to Bilbao tomorrow, Roads, Weather?? (1 Viewer)

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
After an expensive false start to get to Spain (was supposed to be on BF Portsmouth to Santander last Thursday) due to every warning light conceivable coming up and loss of turbo power and speedo and having to have new ABS pump ordered and fitted (by extremely helpful & good Fiat Truck and M'home agent in Portsmouth, Adams Moray), we will be on ferry tomorrow. Has anyone travelled on roads north to south Spain in last couple of days and what are conditions, and any suggestions of best non toll route if snow about. Our destination is Altea.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Whilst I have never travelled down to Spain in February, we do travel in mid March.

The weather can be pretty variable until you get well past the mountains in the north. In the past we have had fog and sleet till almost arriving in Madrid.

Never had ice or snow on the roads but plenty either side of them. Especially near Madrid as being the highest capital in Europe one pass is (if I remember correctly) is some 1300 mtrs high.

But Non toll for me would be follow along the coast to Santander and then through the mountains using the A67 towards Burgos. We would stay here on the first night. Not a great site but nice town.
http://www.campingburgos.com/index.php

Then the A1 to Madrid, we would stay in Camping Aranquez. Nice site (heated loo's/shower block) and nice town.
https://www.campingcard.co.uk/spain/madrid/madrid/aranjuez/camping-internacional-aranjuez-106630/

Both are ACSI sites so will give the out of season discount.

Next day I would then I would arrive in Altea.

Two and a half days driving. (y)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We are on the boat with you waiting to disembark!

We are heading to Jávea but stopping off in the Pyrenees skiiing first.

I would head to Zaragoza on the toll toad, providing you don’t have a huge RV, it’s class 1 same as a car. Then toll free to Valencia and another small toll to Benissa.

We are in the Hymer 339 in the reg !.

Safe travels

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Have a great time guys!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mother Ship

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
We are on the boat with you waiting to disembark!

We are heading to Jávea but stopping off in the Pyrenees skiiing first.

I would head to Zaragoza on the toll toad, providing you don’t have a huge RV, it’s class 1 same as a car. Then toll free to Valencia and another small toll to Benissa.

We are in the Hymer 339 in the reg !.

Safe travels
Only just seen your post on arrival at Aire at Carinena. We didn’t use tolls to get here & had a very pleasant journey. Pretty looking snow covered fir trees in hills, roads clear. You should have great skiing conditions in Pyrenees & be pleased with the snow! What a pity not to have met you on boat - weren’t we lucky such a smooth crossing. We are on our last trip in a PVC Wildax Aurora. Unintentionally could not resist a bargain when we were killing time for 4 days waiting for a Fiat part, ABS pump. It’s dangerous going to look at accessories in Motorhome dealers. Will be picking up new van on return, we were staying in Spain for 2 months & now just for a month!!

Jan 30, 2011
west sussex
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
10 year
You seem to have the same type of luck we have each time we travel to Spain,1st year,1 day prior to departure our Truma combo boiler sprang a leak due to doggy fittment of blown heating duct not connected to boiler,this had caused the water pipe to go hard and pull off joint,(Chasson)
2nd year Truma boiler problem with heating cycling on off all the time,while away tried to correct with dealer in spain but of course it became intermittent and no fault could be found, it played up on off after
That, then the fridge packed up went to Cadiz to get service cleaned flue worked for 4 days then problems again,when home tried to clean flue but needed to move fridge forward to gain access to flue correctly much soot deposit removed,not supprised it caused a problem,Then trip from south coast to Truma in Derbyshire (felt problem better delt with Truma) boiler removed but could not find any problem,changed electrodes etc appeared to be working ok we hope
3rd year due to leave on Tuesday 13th Feb to Santander and of course the holiday gremlin comes again E&P self leveling system packs up tried to get Rosema Cowfold agents for E&P to look at it but the could not find time as they were fully booked up,
So once more set to go do hope our troubles are over for this trip we know that the weather and the people in Portugal will soon make us forget our problems and enjoy our two months away

So best of luck with a troublefree time from now on for your trip
Jenny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back