Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry (1 Viewer)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
A bigger problem surely is the use of salt on the roads in Winter...
Not disputing salt on the roads in winter if you want to drive in snow and ice it can be avoided with a motorhome personal choice - i'm saying a fairly open deck ferry puts a vehicle in a very salty enviroment similar to using a jet washer on low pressure and using sea water to wash it - and the salt will get everywhere with wind behind it - and that it will help with a vehicles corrosion - just look at vehicles that spend their lives on seafronts compared to one that spends most of it's life inland - certainly most vehicles spend more time parked than being driven

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Couple of things for me. Why would you book a ferry with a Sunday night Roscoff crew change adding another day at sea if A, you don't really enjoy travelling at sea and... B, you know you're fridge will be off for two days?

Don't travellers look at the services aboard before booking... there's a clue in the term Economie, hence the disclaimer... would you spend the best part of £1000 on anything else without any research?

Modern motorhomes are designed to travel with the gas on, the problem at sea is that fridges tend to shut down due to wave movement.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
We use the ferry every year to Spain and we both sleep like a baby.

Unless the damn thing is bouncing up and down. Then I don't at all. I am not a great sailor.

But agree about the salt, our van was white with it last year and we were under cover. About the 2nd or 3rd van down from the open deck.

Mind the howling gales and snow storms washed it all off as we went south. :D

We are presently arguing with Brittany ferries about damage done to our high glaze polish finish by the salt spray. There is a clause on the BF online booking form which says; vehicles parked on open decks will be washed off with fresh water towards the end of the voyage. It would appear from this forum that this service is not carried out as per booking information. My salt damage will cost circa £1000-00 to put right! The independent assessor who inspected the damage whos report was commissioned by BF says, the damage is due to salt ingress which has eaten into the polish. He says damages of £2000-00 are appropriate to put the damage right!!!! I am never going to use an open deck ferry again. BF are refusing to pay me out, this may finish up in court as a Damages For Misrepresentation 1967 case.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
We are presently arguing with Brittany ferries about damage done to our high glaze polish finish by the salt spray. There is a clause on the BF online booking form which says; vehicles parked on open decks will be washed off with fresh water towards the end of the voyage. It would appear from this forum that this service is not carried out as per booking information. My salt damage will cost circa £1000-00 to put right! The independent assessor who inspected the damage whos report was commissioned by BF says, the damage is due to salt ingress which has eaten into the polish. He says damages of £2000-00 are appropriate to put the damage right!!!! I am never going to use an open deck ferry again. BF are refusing to pay me out, this may finish up in court as a Damages For Misrepresentation 1967 case.
I'd worry about what has penetrated into the chassis you cant see and access as well

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
MFW said; I'd worry about what has penetrated into the chassis you cant see and access as well.
peatmoor; PS we have also had to have the chassis pressure washed off.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Doesn't your battery keep the fridge/freezer cold?
Not when the engine isnt running unless you have a compressor fridge.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Couple of things for me. Why would you book a ferry with a Sunday night Roscoff crew change adding another day at sea if A, you don't really enjoy travelling at sea and... B, you know you're fridge will be off for two days?

Don't travellers look at the services aboard before booking... there's a clue in the term Economie, hence the disclaimer... would you spend the best part of £1000 on anything else without any research?

Modern motorhomes are designed to travel with the gas on, the problem at sea is that fridges tend to shut down due to wave movement.
But a fridge has a naked flame when on gas and the ferry is full of cars which many run on highly explosive petrol..Petrol leak naked flame not a good combination.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
For those that don't know it is also illegal here in Spain to use any underground car park with a vehicle using gas or that has on board gas tanks, or to park a vehicle with a gas cylinder in it which is being taken/returned from changing. This is due to the fact that being subterranean the gas has nowhere to go .

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Presume none of the above involved taking a pet dog. I use the Chunnel, although I like sailing, but would not leave my dog.
Why rush down to Spain? It's not going anywhere, and to be honest I prefer France, but bend to my wife's need for a bit of guaranteed sunshine.
I liked the idea of a mini cruise, across the Bay of Biscay?
Excellent thread.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012

BF will hose down all the vehicles on the open deck. They rinse them off, they don't wash them.
Devils advocate here...
Personally I'd not contemplate the cheaper sailing option if a single trip attacks your polish so aggressively. That was a consideration you made prior to booking?
What response have you received from your polish manufacturer/provider as to it's protective properties?

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
MFW said; I'd worry about what has penetrated into the chassis you cant see and access as well.
peatmoor; PS we have also had to have the chassis pressure washed off.

Wow that's expensive polish. You'd think at that price it wouldn't dissappear with 1 days worth of saltwater. Try some 20 quid Harly Wax with carnauba :love:

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We came back in March , work up in morning ,we knew it was going to be rough ,as sick bags were in corridor night before !! damn good bags as next morning out came my breakfast and I was able to pour it down the cabin toilet without spilling it, Second time that Bay of Biscay had had me , Via France next time.
Tony 50

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We came back in March , work up in morning ,we knew it was going to be rough ,as sick bags were in corridor night before !! damn good bags as next morning out came my breakfast and I was able to pour it down the cabin toilet without spilling it, Second time that Bay of Biscay had had me , Via France next time.
Tony 50

I always feel unwell unless the Biscay is like a billiard table. Been in bed the whole 24 hours before now. :sick:

But so far I have never needed a sick bag. (y)

Funny thing with the sea sick feeling is (for me at least)

The feeling of wanting to be ill disappears immediately I get on dry land. :D

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I always feel unwell unless the Biscay is like a billiard table. Been in bed the whole 24 hours before now. :sick:

So do I once i'm on dry land, 1st time I was seasick was in the Bay of Biscay on a Cruise ship going to the Canary Islands, Force 12 calming to Force 10 !! met a couple and one of them said they were at front of ship and it threw her out of bed , I spent £55 for jab in ship's hospital , best £55 I have ever spent

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

Its all in the mindBUSBY.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It’s not a problem for Brittany Voyage Club members as you just tick the box that says calm crossing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back