Portsmouth Port Overnight Parking Recently (Latter part of 2021) (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We have a fairly early BF sailing from Portsmouth and would like to arrive the evening before. Is it still okay to park in the departure lanes overnight? the BF websites says yes after midnight but I would prefer to get there much earlier. Does anyone have recent experience? Alternatively is there any good parking nearby?

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 28, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Select Spirit
Exp
Newbie (2020)
I parked at the Marina car park at Port Solent last year no problems, i rang before to book in, i have also stayed on the front at Southsea which was lovely, i stay away from the houses at the top end near Eastney, never had any problems, arrive late leave early!

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
For regular uses of Portsmouth be aware their clean air zone commences in November and the zone boundary follows the access route from the motorway so anyone straying off the direct route to the port may encounter a charge if their vehicle is non-compliant. The vehicle identifier also seems a bit basic as it shows my van as an HGV and liable to a £50 charge. The council site describes private cars and vans as not being liable as it is a class B CAZ but the problem arises with Private HGV (PHGV) motorhomes if the are identified simply as HGV. No doubt November will bring any anomalies to their attention.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I parked at the Marina car park at Port Solent last year no problems, i rang before to book in, i have also stayed on the front at Southsea which was lovely, i stay away from the houses at the top end near Eastney, never had any problems, arrive late leave early!
SWMBO won't go for that, parking on the road side! That's the sort of thing we did in our first motorhome, an Austin Healey Sprite, back in the 60s

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
For regular uses of Portsmouth be aware their clean air zone commences in November and the zone boundary follows the access route from the motorway so anyone straying off the direct route to the port may encounter a charge if their vehicle is non-compliant. The vehicle identifier also seems a bit basic as it shows my van as an HGV and liable to a £50 charge. The council site describes private cars and vans as not being liable as it is a class B CAZ but the problem arises with Private HGV (PHGV) motorhomes if the are identified simply as HGV. No doubt November will bring any anomalies to their attention.
Oh no, that's where my daughter and family lives!!

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We usually park outside her house (Francis Ave), not to sleep – no way, it's a 20 mph limit, but that seems to be ignored by all. We were thinking of places to overnight.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Thanks.
That's another one I didn't know about.
£50 for my 4000 kg old hymer

Screenshot_20211007-202746-825.png

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
I have since contacted Portsmouth Council and they confirmed that they draw no distinction between commercial and private vehicles in relation to weight. They acknowledged that they had debated the motorhome 3500kgs+ issue but decided against an exemption. Therefore any PHGV is treated just the same as a truck.

Dear Nigel,
Thank you for your email regarding Portsmouth's Clean Air Zone.
The Clean Air Zone, which has been required by Central Government to tackle air quality issues in Portsmouth, does not distinguish between commercial and non-commercial usage for vehicles, including HGV or PHGV. As such the charge on larger motorhomes, those over 3500kgs, is correct.
The option to exempt motorhomes classified as HGVs was discussed at Cabinet in June. At this meeting it was decided that this exemption should not be granted. This Cabinet Report can be found here:

https://democracy.portsmouth.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=126&MId=4706&Ver=4.

I will look to get some further information added to the website, thank you for this recommendation. In the meanwhile we always recommend that vehicle owners check with the Government's vehicle checker, as you have done: Drive in a clean air zone - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).

Kind regards,

Alex Roke

Technical Transport Planner

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Parked at the ferry terminal yesterday evening at 20.15. No problem. There were already 8 other MoHos and 1 Tugger before me. On 09.00 Ferry to Santander….. yippee!!! :cool::wine:👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back