Sep 20, 2014
Luton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
8 years
I have early ferry to Bilbao next week
Does anyone know where I can park overnight (motor home with car trailer )
coming from London
Regards Gordon

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Brittany Ferries are pretty good and whilst I have not stayed in the port over night they do allow it. I have parked up against the fence along side the lanes all day waiting for an evening ferry. But I understand once the last one has left you can move into the lane. Below is a quote from their T&C's.

"If you have an early morning sailing caravans / motorhomes can be parked in the check-in lanes after midnight. The vehicle is parked at your own risk and should not be left unattended. Please note that no facilities are open overnight. "

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Just before christmas we arrived, checked in and spent the night in the carpark at Bilbao. There were about 20 vehicles. It was quiet. The cafe was only ooen in the morning but the toilets were open overnight. A few vans arrived late, after the check in closed and just stayed in the queues overnight , it didn't seem any less safe .
Whoops sorry i've just realised you are going out not returning. Have a lovely time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I have parked overnight in the check in lanes a few times with no problems at all. Keep over towards the fence on the left if you can, or there are a few spaces on the right that seem ok.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We have stayed at the port loads of times . They like you to arrive after 10.00pm for a next morning crossing . Either pull onto the back fence or inquire which lanes are for Bilbao and park in the lane but remember they open the check-ins quite early and you have to be up and ready.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We were on the Portsmouth Santander ferry last Friday and we spent the night at Port Solent.

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Just for your info.
Depends on the rear overhang of your motorhome of course but we regularly get the tow bar scraping on the deck when driving off. Makes hell of a noise but we expect it now.
regards
Nik

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Just for your info.
Depends on the rear overhang of your motorhome of course but we regularly get the tow bar scraping on the deck when driving off. Makes hell of a noise but we expect it now.
regards
Nik

On my Autotrail it did that every where so got Dave Newell to fit air assist at the back. Worked a treat and stopped all the funny noises from the rear end. Well most of them. :D

Reactions: Nik

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
We were on the Portsmouth Santander ferry last Friday and we spent the night at Port Solent.

I am in Port Solent regularly and understand that the marina are now asking people to move if it looks like they are intending to overnight.

From what I hear the residents are also starting to complain to the management company about the number of people using it as a overnight stop.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I am in Port Solent regularly and understand that the marina are now asking people to move if it looks like they are intending to overnight.

From what I hear the residents are also starting to complain to the management company about the number of people using it as a overnight stop.
If this does happen, just move further along the road - so car park is on right, towards Horsea Island MOD establishment and park on the road which is free and used in preference to the car park by many.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
If this does happen, just move further along the road - so car park is on right, towards Horsea Island MOD establishment and park on the road which is free and used in preference to the car park by many.

I just realised that I should have been clearer, I am in Port Solent working every fortnight rather than overnighting! (y)

Sgt411

Free Member
Feb 9, 2011
Between England & France
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
With
I just realised that I should have been clearer, I am in Port Solent working every fortnight rather than overnighting! (y)

. We have always overnighted at the large David Lloyd car park in Port Solent and breakfasted at Wetherspoons before moving on. Is this still possible? :(

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
I think Portsmouth City Council should have made the Park & Ride an aire like Canterbury.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We were told by Brittany ferries before easter its ok on the check in lanes after 12. least its safe and your there ready for the morning (y)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I think Portsmouth City Council should have made the Park & Ride an aire like Canterbury.
Thats a great idea (y)considering the number of vans using that port. we came back on the afternoon crossing Sunday by the time we got through customs it was nearly 10pm we just did the 2.5hr drive back home that at the time didn't seem like a bad idea. The last bit was a bit of a drag though. If there was that aire we would have just gone straight there. unfortunately this country doesn't seem to want our custom (n)or be in the remotely bit helpful to motorhomes hence the constant trips to France. Rant over

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
last year we went into Port Solent and had a meal, left there about 10.00 and parked at the port along the fence on the right hand side, one of about 6. no problems at all.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
We have always overnighted at the large David Lloyd car park in Port Solent and breakfasted at Wetherspoons before moving on. Is this still possible? :(

If you ring the Port Solent leisure facilities office (023 92 210606) and explain that you are eating in the restuarants and would like to stay overnight in the carpark outside the David Lloyd complex. They normally say it is OK, put a note in the log of your registration number and let the security guards know you have permission.

My understanding is that you will get moved on if you try and stay overnight in the marina carparks.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and the grounds maintenance guys were moaning about yet again cleaning up the contents of someones black waste cassette from the carpark hedgerow. It will not be long before I can see the Port Solent management stopping overnight stops due to people not having the common decency to contact the office first and then having to clean up the resultant mess left behind.

It is worth remembering that Port Solent is a community and people live in and around the leisure facilities.

I just dont get those who think 'wild' camping allows them to leave their rubbish and waste around for others to clean up.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back