Portable washing machines in MH (1 Viewer)

babyangel70

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
North West
Funster No
MH
Mizar GTL Living
Exp
Total novice
Hello
We have just bought our first motorhome and are just finding our way around it at the moment. One of the things we were looking at was buying a portable washing machine. We've found one by Purpleline for around £70. Has anyone else used one of these or can suggest an alternative?
Thanks

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Hello
We have just bought our first motorhome and are just finding our way around it at the moment. One of the things we were looking at was buying a portable washing machine. We've found one by Purpleline for around £70. Has anyone else used one of these or can suggest an alternative?
Thanks

We watched a member on here ( Heyupluv ) using his in Portugal last year and went out and bought one whilst in the UK in Feb this year. We have used it loads of times as fits in the shower tray and waste water goes into gray tank. Savings are great and have used it on inverter ( with engine running ) and works fine. Depends on how much you are away in MH. Cannot remember name of model, but I sure Heyupluv will post on here soon.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My pennyworth on the subject of washing machines having lugged one around for years and now given it away is.
If you are using a washing machine you are more than likely to be using campsites, as they use water and electric. Most if not all modern campsites have laundry rooms. The problem is finding somewhere to put the damned washing machine when your not using it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
If you mean this one http://www.johnscross.co.uk/camping-caravan-twin-tub-washing-machine.html

Yes they are OK but not as good as the standard domestic ones as they only hold 2kg of washing.

If you Link Removed and become a Funster you will get most of your tenner back in a discount:thumb:

Peter
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/camping-caravan-twin-tub-washing-machine.html

Yes Sir thats the one, great machine and thank you Heyupluv for showing us it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats a fair price and with discount a good one .
my mate has had one for about 5 yrs and its great. i used a single tub for years bought in spain . now have a sunncamp twintub . came from my ex she got it in a charity shop for a tenner . but it works real good . i reckon to do a 4 week washing day takes about 40 litres of water . could use more but cope with that much . the sinner is great .
i dont use campsites so when water is available take plenty and go somewhere quiet to do washing .
far easier than my nice ally posser and acme wringer . but still have them as back up.
dave you just need a bigger truck .

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
My pennyworth on the subject of washing machines having lugged one around for years and now given it away is.
If you are using a washing machine you are more than likely to be using campsites, as they use water and electric. Most if not all modern campsites have laundry rooms. The problem is finding somewhere to put the damned washing machine when your not using it.

Nop used it in loads of Aires and parked up in a farmers field, I agree uses water so full tank is needed. Inverter works fine as long as running engine or in our case a Honda 10i runs fine. Ours fits under the bed.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
heres my single tub . it worked fine . could just manage a quilt cover and a pillow case .

Attachments

• Morocco 2008-2009 151.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 151.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 90

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
There are six of us on board. ::bigsmile:

We use one of these:

Link Removed

and a stand-alone spindrier that spins at 2600 rpm.
The clothes are virtually dry after spinning, which makes life a lot easier. :Smile:

Only 250 watts, so easy to run off an inverter.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No thanks, I will stick with my Moroccan washing machine thanks. Uses no power, don't have to use a laundry bin as it doubles up for both jobs. I can use it as a step to clean the windscreen. Washing all done when I stop, just rinse and hang out to dry :thumb:. Washing machines indeed.....what next, dishwashers and tumble dryers :ROFLMAO:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Link Removed

this is the same as the one i use, started with the smaller unit then got this one as it fits quilt covers and bedding in.
Both are great machines

Last edited:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
The answer is simple,

Day 1 Underpants on Normally,

Day 2 Underpants on Back to front

Day 3 Underpants on inside out Normally

Day 4 Underpants on inside out and Back to front

Day 5 Underpants thrown away.

Hence no dirty washing therefore no washing machine required.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Treated my wife to a small ponch and a new bucket. BUSBY::bigsmile:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
awful lot of throwing away if you are going for 6 months though .

Not really. 6 months = 180 days, 4days for each pair of pants

Therefore 180/4 = 45 pairs

Primark sell them for 4 pairs for £3 (Cheap Ones)

Therefore 45/4 = 11.25pairs @ £3 = £33.75p

Much cheaper than a washing machine.

Problem solved.:thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We had one of those when we were full timing..a pretty good investment really..we also employed the old washing in a large bucket routine..stick your stuff in a bucket with some washing powder/liquid hot water and when you are moving between locations stick it in the shower tray and let the natural movement of your travelling agitate the washing in said bucket..At destination remove washing rinse out peg out..job done..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not really. 6 months = 180 days, 4days for each pair of pants

Therefore 180/4 = 45 pairs

Primark sell them for 4 pairs for £3 (Cheap Ones)

Therefore 45/4 = 11.25pairs @ £3 = £33.75p

Much cheaper than a washing machine.

Problem solved.:thumb:

Does your wife use them after you? BUSBY:roflmto:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I like to pander to Steph's hobbies so I bought her this one Link Removed well built and will run off 300w inverter. She is well pleased with it. :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi graham . i got an ally one from east germany . works fine .
i tend to use it for wrinsing . saves the spinner . also use the wringer before the spinner . hopefully it will last longer . the washer i mean .
its all a game really but can be fun .
i think its really funny being in the middle of no where and powering washing machines etc off the sun . to me its like being in that lost in space program that used to be on tv in the 60,s .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
hi graham . i got an ally one from east germany . works fine .
i tend to use it for wrinsing . saves the spinner . also use the wringer before the spinner . hopefully it will last longer . the washer i mean .
its all a game really but can be fun .
i think its really funny being in the middle of no where and powering washing machines etc off the sun . to me its like being in that lost in space program that used to be on tv in the 60,s .

Ah but you're posh Alan. We didn't have a telly when that was on ::bigsmile:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
nverter works fine as long as running engine or in our case a Honda 10i runs fine..

Never bothered running the engine to use ours. It doesn't actually use a lot of power because the machine isn't running long. Generally we do washing when its a sunny day so the solar panels (3) are putting the electrickery back in just about as quickly as the machine is taking it out.

We wild most of the time and never had a problem using it. As a previous poster said, just be a little sensitive to your surroundings although in Aires you are most likely to be the subject of curiosity and asked many questions about where to buy such a contraption.
I don't if that's because these sort of washing machines are not widely available in France/Germany/Holland or because the dirty b*ggers don;t wash very often! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Never bothered running the engine to use ours. It doesn't actually use a lot of power because the machine isn't running long. Generally we do washing when its a sunny day so the solar panels (3) are putting the electrickery back in just about as quickly as the machine is taking it out.

We wild most of the time and never had a problem using it. As a previous poster said, just be a little sensitive to your surroundings although in Aires you are most likely to be the subject of curiosity and asked many questions about where to buy such a contraption.
I don't if that's because these sort of washing machines are not widely available in France/Germany/Holland or [HI]because the dirty b*ggers don;t wash very often! [/HI]::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Says a resident of Hartlepool :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

I don't if that's because these sort of washing machines are not widely available in France/Germany/Holland or because the dirty b*ggers don;t wash very often! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

you can imagine when 4 of us all have washing machines and the mangle on its stand in the middle of us . like you the germans etc think its really strange . mind we do try to be alone as the wahing lines are all over the place . but on a good day by 2 in the afternoon all washed dried and a nice laundered bed to sleep in . bliss.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011

With a garage like yours there must be a space for a diddy washer. Just have to move that full size cooker over a couple of inches :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
With a garage like yours there must be a space for a diddy washer. Just have to move that full size cooker over a couple of inches :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not forgetting the 3 way freezer, 110 litre secondary fuel tank, outside dinning room suit, windbreaks, ramps, loungers, parasol, Gas BBQ, 2 X bottle jacks, spare wheel, wind turbine, mechanical tool box, electrical tool box, and all the rest of my must have, cant live without junk :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back